Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question re Chambery to Montchavin (via Landry?)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm joining friends for a week in Montchavin 28/1-4/2. They're all flying from London to Geneva and getting a private transfer.

The Geneva flight costs went up a lot while I was looking and so, rather than joining their flights, it's easier and cheaper for me to fly Leeds to Chambery, getting to Chambery at 3pm on Saturday, and then get the train (or bus?) to Bourg-SM, getting off at Landry. It looks a bit of a pain to get a bus from Chambery airport to Chambery train station but hopefully it'll be doable.

I just wondered if anybody had any info please on whether I'll be able to get a bus (or reasonably priced taxi) from Landry up to Montchavin early on Saturday evening (probably 6-7pm ish?)? I've been googling it but can't seem to confirm whether there is a Landry-Montchavin bus running at that time on a Saturday. I'll probably do the return journey the following Saturday lunchtime for a 7pm flight home from Chambery to Leeds - I thought I read somewhere that the Bourg to Chambery train doesn't stop at Landry in that direction, so I'm hoping I can find a solution.

I've also heard hitchhiking up the hill is fairly common, and if there's a shared transfer Chambery-Montchavin comparable with the bus/train cost I'd obviously do that instead, but I haven't one. If I'm stuck, I'll have to ask the chalet if they can pick me up!

Basically, any info or tips would be very much appreciated. I'm sure I can make it work, but am struggling to confirm everything.

Thank you for your help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I've also heard hitchhiking up the hill is fairly common

I'm not familiar with that particular hill but have picked up hitchhikers going up hills (ended up one morning with no fewer than 3 ESF instructors going up to Courchevel 1850). I also once picked up an overweight, perspiring parapenter with one of those huge packs who turned out to be an ESF instructor who had made an unexpected landing in the middle of nowhere....).
But you'd be well advised not to be lumbered with too much baggage, and definitely not to be carrying skis.

The chalet might well agree to pick you up, for a consideration....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

But you'd be well advised not to be lumbered with too much baggage, and definitely not to be carrying skis.

I do have skis, but I travel pretty light overall - a small day backpack, a bootbag, and my ski bag which will normally fit into most cars in some orientation, especially if it's just a couple of miles up the hill. That's all I take with me. Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to google there is a walking path that means it's only 3.2km. I presume it's quite steep though and I guess it will be dark.

Hitching an option I would have thought - maybe with taxi as back up if no luck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't hiked from Landry to Montchavin, but I have stayed in Montorlin and taken the short cut walking path that runs up to the main carpark in Montchavin. It was <1km and was ice covered and needed hiking boots. Would not have fancied it with a lot of luggage, even the limited amount you suggest.

The path from Landry to Montorlin could be a bit epic in winter, more so with luggage. I'd stick to walking the road from Landry up to Montorlin and wear high viz clothing and try thumbing a lift... or even get a taxi!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks both.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
According to google there is a walking path that means it's only 3.2km. I presume it's quite steep though and I guess it will be dark.

That will be something to watch out for in the local paper

"British Hiker stranded for a week on ledge after getting lost, had to eat his own underpants to survive"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The chalet want 30 euros to pick me up from the station! I must admit, I thought they would do that for free given we're spending about 10 grand with them. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
30 euros sounds a bargain compared with eating your underpants.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Aleutian, that does seem rather steep for an 8km car journey. Is that just for inward journey from Gare de Landry?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
30 euros sounds a bargain compared with eating your underpants.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More seriously @Aleutian, although I wouldn't like to say that's decent value I would take it as the least hassle option balance.

Getting to know some chalet owners through staying regularly, some don't like to do this type of connection (reluctant and charge to discourage) with some others picking up for other local chalet and earning extra money for doing that. Your chalet may be subbing it out, not have suitable vehicle arrangements, insurance etc and so facilitate this way to cover it off for individual visitors.
More importantly, if staff coverage is heading into evening hospitality arrangements this is poor time to go out.

Given your schedule in and out it maybe worth enquiring for both and go to BsM on return to ensure you meet the flight.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

that does seem rather steep for an 8km car journey. Is that just for inward journey from Gare de Landry?

I believe so. I've asked them to confirm whether it's 30 euros one way or 'return'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry, one more question. Do you know if there is any benefit/saving to booking train tickets in advance like in the UK, or if I should just do it when I get to Chambery station? Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't know this route, but I've found it easier to book French rail tickets at the station. You seem to need to specify the train (not usually an open ticket) and if it is onward travel from the airport you may not be sure how quickly you will get to the station and thus which train to book.

And for the 30 euros station pick-up - yes it seems expensive but as others have said the chances are they don't do it themselves but organise a local taxi who will charge for the two-way trip.
snow report
https://booking.altibus.com/ seems to have a service that departs from Landry at 4.30 or 6.30 - it's €12.5 return.

But tbh go for the chalet offer as you're sure they'll wait if you're late.
snow report
Just to point out that there isnt a bus service from Chambery airport to Chambéry station (or if there is it has kept itself very well hidden from me!). So allow another €20 to €30 for a taxi for that bit. If you go round to the info desk at arrivals they can call one for you (there doesn’t ever seem to be any at the taxi rank outside departures).
latest report
@Aleutian, ....er that is NOT a path I would go up at night (given your time of arrival) and you would need... - er...I am not going to list the kit which you would need to do that safely in the dark - possibly after new snow, or worse, rain and then a freeze. It's a rabbits' warren of paths on that side of the hill and it would be extremely easy to go awry. And it's bloody steep - loads of switchbacks. I would bargain down (in a very nice way..) the two transfers which you need front and back end of trip....
snow conditions
Aleutian wrote:
Quote:

that does seem rather steep for an 8km car journey. Is that just for inward journey from Gare de Landry?

I believe so. I've asked them to confirm whether it's 30 euros one way or 'return'.

I wouldn't call this a bargain either, however... relative to local taxi prices on a transfer day it is much cheaper even if it's only one way. You may feel a bit taken advantage off as some companies do offer free pick ups, but the alternative could easily be more than double. Shocked
latest report
@DomBSM, I know, it seems absolutely ridiculous that there's no bus from the airport to the train station! This was meant to be a quicker and cheaper transfer and it's looking like it's going to be slower, more expensive and a lot more hassle than if I'd just gone via Geneva Sad
snow report
@Kaiser, Yep, 30 euros one way! To be completely honest, I would've thought they'd offer a free pick up given how close Landry is, especially after spending £10,000+ on the chalet!
snow conditions
Thanks everybody else for your help/replies.

It looks like the first few miles and the last few miles of my transfer are going to be complicated/expensive/painful to sort.

So... Does anybody have a group transfer (or similar) from Chambery to the La Plagne area after 3pm on 28 Jan with room for one more person to join please? Or looking to share a taxi from the airport to Chambery train station, or from Landry up to Montchavin? I have a pair of skis and a boot bag, but no big luggage other than that, just a small daypack.

Thanks in advance Smile
ski holidays
This is outside my experience a bit, but I’d probably try approaching the nearest tour operator and they’ll likely take 40€ to take you to Aime/BSM and the. Take a taxi, ideally shared
snow report
@Kaiser, Ah, you mean when Crystal and Tui and the rest are stood around at Chambery Airport gathering people for transfer buses? That's a good idea, thanks! I might try that before I go for the train - might be cutting it pretty fine time wise but I'll wizz through them. Cheers
ski holidays
I used to work for those cats, generally there was space and they used to sell a place for €40 Geneva to Tarentaise back in the day (10years ago) so I’d say possible still.
snow report
@Aleutian, try asking on the Tarantaise Transfer notice board on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/850771538271311
snow conditions
This is great, I should post on there, but don’t hesitate to look at the groups https://facebook.com/events/s/airport-transfers-car-sharing-/759172407487485/
And potentially if possible join what’s on in the Tarentaise valley and the valley echo, fingers crossed I’m not upsetting anybody
latest report
We found people to share a taxi with from chambery airport to chambery station simply by hovering around the info desk in arrivals. By the time they had called a taxi for us, three other people had wandered up and just hopped in ours and split the bill.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kaiser, Thanks, that's very useful. That link you posted is a private one - it says "This event is hosted by a private group
Ask whoever sent you this link to add you to the group to view this event." Not sure if that's possible? Thanks!
snow conditions
Ah, it’s a group on the valley echo on fb, if you ask an admin to add you, then you’ll be able to see it
ski holidays
@Kaiser, I've tried but no luck so far. Thanks anyway Smile
latest report
The outward journey still isn't sorted, and I'm just hoping for the best now haha.

However, on the way back, I'm hearing conflicting reports about whether the BSM to Chambery train stops at Landry, or if you have to go to Bourg to get on it. Google Maps suggests it *is* possible to get on the train in Landry, but a lot of people seem to say it isn't. Can anybody confirm please? Thanks
snow report
Trainline is your friend here
ski holidays
As can be BlaBlaCar I’ve participated and used them in the past
ski holidays

Kaiser wrote:
Trainline is your friend here

16:50 from Chambery station is at 20,10€ and still has space, gets into Landry at 18:38 and still has space, no available lifts on BlaBlaCar though, so would be a taxi up try http://www.bouzon.eu/taxi-laplagne/
snow conditions
Good reliable taxi from there is taxilandry@orange.fr, just email them for a price and pay cash on the day if you use them. Friendly and punctual. Charged me 40 euros each way to Plan Peisey, but that was 12.5km instead of the 7.8km to Monchavin. So I'd expect 30 euros each way for your trip. Which means you might as well take the chalet offer, who are probably booking taxilandry@orange.fr for you anyway !
latest report
Layne wrote:
@Aleutian, that does seem rather steep for an 8km car journey. Is that just for inward journey from Gare de Landry?

Really? I paid £28 for the 7 mile (11km) trip home from the station on Tuesday evening. Sounds very comparable to me.
snow report
beeryletcher wrote:
Good reliable taxi from there is taxilandry@orange.fr, just email them for a price and pay cash on the day if you use them. Friendly and punctual. Charged me 40 euros each way to Plan Peisey, but that was 12.5km instead of the 7.8km to Monchavin. So I'd expect 30 euros each way for your trip. Which means you might as well take the chalet offer, who are probably booking taxilandry@orange.fr for you anyway !

Also if you take up the chalet on the offer the onus is on them to deliver...
snow conditions
@Kaiser, Thanks re the train, but it's the return journey that I was puzzling over. Everything online suggests I can get on the train at Landry, but lots of people have suggested it doesn't stop in Landry - you have to get on it in BSM to get to Chambery. I think I'm just going to trust what I've read online and aim to get on it in Landry.
snow report
@beeryletcher, @sugarmoma666, Thanks both. I asked the chalet owner (manager?) and they said it is going to be them or their driver who are picking me up, and they have to come from BSM, not from Montchavin, hence the price, which makes more sense.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy