Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long are UK Passport Renewals Taking?

Poster: A snowHead
Renewed online on Monday and returned current passport by special delivery. New passport arrived this morning which is reasonably impressive!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
narbs wrote:
Renewed online on Monday and returned current passport by special delivery. New passport arrived this morning which is reasonably impressive!

Same, did my son's, was done within a week
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same x2. Very quick.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Expecting my new passport tomorrow after applying online last week. Sent old one off Saturday. So less than a 2 week turnaround for me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Child passport renewal was 9 days during
October/November - initial photo rejected after 3 (partially weekend) days and birth certificate required as proof of parental responsibility, new photo next day and passport issued 6 days later
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My daughter’s passport runs out in May 2024. Can she go back to the UK for Xmas? That would be 4 months before the expiry date?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just had two daughters' done-one a straight replacement (3 weeks), the other because it had been lost (4 weeks-needed a few more checks).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Child passport renewal took a month in total from Portugal but including a delay during which they requested the original birth certificate (we had asked for a new middle name to be added). Given the old talk of 2-3 months, I’m very happy with that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone entitled to an Irish passport should really consider getting one. Once over the hurdle of getting one a real benefit in avoiding or reducing potential queuing time at many EU airports.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
my wifes took 9 days back in July, at the height of the 'Oh s*** I forgot to renew before school hols season'.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Poogle, hi I have just renewed mine and my sons, it took less than a week - we did it on-line.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In terms of getting my new passport printed mine was also a very fast turnaround. Took < 2 weeks and that was a couple of months ago. The issues I had were with the application and the delivery

Application - I thought (mistakenly) that if I paid the extra to do the application through my local post office then there would be less that could go wrong. When the post office counter lady pressed send on my application it didn't process and they explained that the system was down, I'd have to come back later and start again. Having walked out of the PO I checked my emails on my phone and had a confirmation email from the passport office. Went back in to the PO and the manager spent 45 mins on the phone to resolve this because they didn't have the label for sending off my old passport (fair play to him for that). Also, if you are going down this route you need to make sure you check their checking before they press send. They got my address wrong which proved to be a real problem when it came to ...

Delivery - I winced when I saw who passport office courier was and sure enough it was tricky. Two failed deliveries, emails not responded to, eventually managed to get past their phone robot and speak to a human and get delivered on the 3rd attempt by intercepting the delivery driver who fortunately didn't ask for photo ID (because it was in the envelope he was trying to deliver). I never did get my old passport back (this is supposed to be sent separately).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mrs MA and I are within half an hour of a passport office, so both (months apart in the last 12 months) went for the One Week Fast Track service. I can highly recommend the service if you are in a similar position.

With this service you:
- Make an appointment at the Passport Office. Both times, there were appointments available within a few days.
- Fill in a renewal form from the Post Office.
- Attend your appointment and spend a few minutes with an officer who checks your application form, photos etc.
- Receive the new passport within a week of your appointment. Both of ours arrived within 2 - 3 days Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, I can walk there if I want to, but work commitments meant finding suitable appointment times wasn't easy so we opted to do it online. The worst part was the posting off the old passports as it was ages before they were received and processed. Once received it was only a few days (see previous page) to receipt, and it was Christmas post.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alpinebear wrote:
My daughter’s passport runs out in May 2024. Can she go back to the UK for Xmas? That would be 4 months before the expiry date?

Thanks.

Risky. We once got denied boarding a flight from Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur because daughter only had 4 months left on her's. So we went to Thailand instead where they are more lenient.
Quite a stressful experience to be honest. We had about 20 minutes to decide whether to cancel the holiday entirely or change it completely for another destination. Only once they allowed us to enter Bangkok did the stress start to diminish.
snow report
Quote:
We once got denied boarding a flight from Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur because daughter only had 4 months left on her's.

So infuriating, to put it mildly. Why aren't passports just valid to the relevant date if you only want to do a few days away? Or indeed any travel at all within the validity period if you have a return ticket booked... Mad
latest report
@Alpinebear, travelling from where and on what passport? I'd have thought 4-months would be fine, we went to France in summer with just over 3-months left on passport. Rules for France are more than 3-months at intended return and passport less than 10-years old.

Aware sometimes airlines in particular have specified 6-months
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
We once got denied boarding a flight from Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur because daughter only had 4 months left on her's.

So infuriating, to put it mildly. Why aren't passports just valid to the relevant date if you only want to do a few days away? Or indeed any travel at all within the validity period if you have a return ticket booked... Mad

To make matters worse, they couldn't change our return flight which should have also been from Kuala Lumpur back home, because there were no seats on the plane out of Bangkok. So the day before the end of the 3 week holiday, we tried to get into Malaysia (from Krabi in Thailand) to make our original flight home from KL, but again they wouldn't let her in.

So I ended up going to KL by myself for 1 night, whilst the Mrs and daughter went back to Bangkok and had to book new flights home. Again, we had about 20 minutes to decide at Krabi airport what we were going to do.

Just madness. They could see we only needed to be in Malaysia for one night because we showed them our ticket out of KL for the following day, but they were having none of it.

I think a lot of it just depends on which country you're trying to get into. Malaysia is obviously incredibly strict.
snow report
Absolutely awful that @mikeycharlton Sad
ski holidays
The Foreign Office has a useful site for checking Entry Requirements https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/travel-abroad
latest report
@Poogle, mine and my sons took less than a week, from start to finish. I did it on-line.
latest report
Just renewed mine on line.
8 days from application to receiving new passport.
latest report
All of ours (4 passports) were stolen in Antibes this summer.

I renewed two via fast-track including a visit to the Passport Office in London (Docklands), in order to be sure my son could make his school trip to Morocco and I could be on emergency call. The other two I did one (my wifes) online, and one with a paper application form (you can’t use online for a child).

Both the online one and the paper one were delivered to us before the two “fast-track” applications…

Crazy.
ski holidays
Did a renewal online week before last, received new PP via DHL on 10th day after application.

I did it one evening and didn't send the expired one until the next afternoon though.

If you did it in the morning and got the old one in the post straight away, it would probably be quicker.
ski holidays
I have just received my new passport. I did a renewal online mid-afternoon on Tuesday and sent old passport next day delivery and new one came before 10 this morning. Very Happy
latest report
@gsb, was it yours? Toofy Grin

The Home Office have been mixing people up recently.
snow report
Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy