Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a dummies guide to Switzerland skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

My kids get a crepe at the Dahu self for 8chf and the water is free. A ham and salad roll is similar, burger and cups probably 15-20chf.
Happy hour beers in the Pub Mont 4chf for a pint and 15chf for a massive plate of nachos and toppings or burger

If you get paid in CHF that is a bargain.
It is also basically the same price as when I lived in CH (some 14 years ago now!).

Today's exchange rate is 1.1CHF to £1.
Translate those prices into £ (£8 for a crepe / £15 for a burger / £4 a pint) and its no longer such great value.
Particularly as you wont find anything cheaper...

So I would agree : Switzerland not necessarily "expensive".
However the British-peso won't go far these days...

Not saying it’s cheap, just that it’s still possible to eat/après out and it not cost a fortune if you pick wisely.

Switzerland is clearly not a bargain destination but those ruling it out based on cost and then choosing large French resorts for example, may be kidding themselves.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, Point of order: While I love Engelberg, having lived there for ten years, in no way can it be described as big.

Agree! Oddly, that is kind of point I was trying to make...

In European terms Switzerland doesn't have many "big" ski resorts. Verbier / Zermatt are exceptions to rule and both fabulous : way more charm than 3 Valleys or Les Arcs.

Though much of the really good skiing / charm is at medium size resorts (places like Zinal, Andermatt, Engelberg). Or even smaller stations off the beaten path.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was really surprised last night to find that flights to Geneva from Birmingham were only £48pp for Feb '23! I'd normally book my holiday a year in advance.

I must say I do like my hotel amenities though. Sauna/steam room is number one and cooked breakfast/dinner is number 2!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobcat wrote:
I was really surprised last night to find that flights to Geneva from Birmingham were only £48pp for Feb '23! I'd normally book my holiday a year in advance.

I must say I do like my hotel amenities though. Sauna/steam room is number one and cooked breakfast/dinner is number 2!

If those are your criteria look at Cœur des Alpes Boutique Hôtel in Zermatt. Run by the owners with a fab spa and outdoor hot tub and great breakfasts. Also very close to Matterhorn express lift.
https://e.coeurdesalpes.ch/gallery/ochqvdn85lhppq09i1kbmkrfki7qwl
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, when we moved to Geneva in 2006, resto prices "translated" to more or less central London. Not unreasonable, we thought.

When we flitted up to France in 2019, ticket prices had barely changed.

GBPCHF however ... just glad we moved our pensions over in 2006 ...!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow what a beautiful hotel @BobinCH, thank you for recommending it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a guide to skiing in Switzerland try where to ski and snowboard. An old multi country copy is probably the best buy get it second hand. The country hasn't changed that much.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Planetski has an article on developments this season in Verbier: https://planetski.eu/2022/09/14/whats-new-in-verbier-for-next-winter/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve only skied in Saas Fe, Zermatt, and several trips to Wengen (will be back there this Christmas). Switzerland just oozes tradition, it drips from it’s pores. It doesn’t ever have to try. I’m surprised ‘classic’ isn’t a Swiss word.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dode wrote:
I’ve only skied in Saas Fe, Zermatt, and several trips to Wengen (will be back there this Christmas). Switzerland just oozes tradition, it drips from it’s pores. It doesn’t ever have to try. I’m surprised ‘classic’ isn’t a Swiss word.

Classique/ Klassisch? Toofy Grin

P.S I'll be in Wengen from Boxing Day onwards, perhaps we can meet up for a ski or a beer? snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, Very Happy

That sounds like a plan.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
bobcat wrote:

If those are your criteria look at Cœur des Alpes Boutique Hôtel in Zermatt. Run by the owners with a fab spa and outdoor hot tub and great breakfasts. Also very close to Matterhorn express lift.

I'm circling back to booking my first Swiss ski holiday but sadly not at this beautiful hotel. £692 a night B&B Shocked

For people who have recommended getting public transport, can I ask how it works when you've got 2 x luggage suitcases, 2 x ski bags plus hefty hand luggage? We just got back from the 3 vallees today and lugging all that round was a lot of work, and we had transfers included.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bobcat,
Quote:

For people who have recommended getting public transport, can I ask how it works when you've got 2 x luggage suitcases, 2 x ski bags plus hefty hand luggage? We just got back from the 3 vallees today and lugging all that round was a lot of work, and we had transfers included.

Rule 5
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobcat wrote:

If you want to Swiss railways offer a service where (for a fee) they will transfer your bags from the airport to your hotel or nearest ski resort train station and back on the return journey. See https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/before-your-journey/luggage/flight-luggage.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you visit the smaller ski areas in Switzerland it is not so expensive - at least for lift passes and hotel accommodation. And they have the bonus of often being fairly quiet. Food in the mountain restaurants tends to be on the pricey side, but in the places I've visited no more than in the Three Valleys in France. Getting around on the trains and poste-bus system is also efficient and good value.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
@bobcat,
Quote:

Rule 5

Sorry, I don't know what rule 5 (or 1-4) is.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
bobcat wrote:

If you want to Swiss railways offer a service where (for a fee) they will transfer your bags from the airport to your hotel or nearest ski resort train station and back on the return journey. See https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/before-your-journey/luggage/flight-luggage.html

Wow that's amazing service!
ski holidays
bobcat wrote:
halfhand wrote:
@bobcat,
Quote:

Rule 5

Sorry, I don't know what rule 5 (or 1-4) is.

I'm assuming it's this one.
latest report
Congratulations on being mortgage free OP. Not sure that the forum needed that detail though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Grantley1988 wrote:
Congratulations on being mortgage free OP. Not sure that the forum needed that detail though Toofy Grin

Hey, I wanna know how people manage to ski in Switzerland otherwise! Wealthier than me that's for sure.
ski holidays
I was in Zermatt in January and these were the prices:

Swiss railways day pass 52CHF when bought in advance - so travel from Geneva or Zurich to Zermatt sorted for a very reasonable price. Biggest issue was that the luggage storage areas on the trains filled up quickly, but everyone gets there with their bags in the end.

I paid 1400 CHF half board for a single room at Hotel Butterfly for a week, which again I found perfectly fine. House wine at the hotel was 5.50 CHF, beer reasonably priced. No one went hungry and the price included afternoon tea (cakes and coffee) from about 4:00 to 6:000 pm. Other HB hotels I considered were the Bristol and Hotel Perren for about the same price.

Ski hire is about the same price as other resorts - I actually paid more at St Anton the week before for the same skis.

But lift ticket is expensive - maybe the most expensive in Europe. But the lift system is spectacularly good, IMO. For comparison ski over to Cervinia and some of the lifts seem antiquated by comparison.
snow conditions
bobcat wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
bobcat wrote:

I'm circling back to booking my first Swiss ski holiday but sadly not at this beautiful hotel. £692 a night B&B Shocked

That’s the price for a loft/suite. Standard double (which is great) is chf320 per night but you need to book well in advance for weekend nights as the hotel is so popular and accepts 3 night weekend bookings
snow report
I think back to March 2002. All sorts of things were happening in my life then and the exchange rate was 2.5chf to 1 gbp. TWO POINT FIVE !!! London stock exchange then was the centre of finance in Europe. In the 1960s and 70s UK was in the financial swamp and CH was expensive. Then UK gov got itself together and the country pulled itself up and got itself placed centrally in world events and financial growth. Both a Conservative and a Labour thing. The apparent growth in the uk economy in the 90s and 2000s has been mostly service driven and ultimately is bubble-like - hard hit by the reality of the financial crisis and the economic waves from Brexit. The CHF has been a currency of refuge and the only way the CH Federal Gov has saved Switzerland from a ruinous situation of an overinflated currency has been to link to the euro. It’s all been driven by ‘events’ and bad decision by governments - with the Truss ‘fiscal event’ being an act of self destructive lunacy.

Skiing in some places in CH always has been stratospherically expensive. Skiing in others - val d anniviers, val d’herens - always has been fine, and still is.
snow report
Ah thanks @BobinCH, I couldn't and still can't find the page you've C+P above, but I have been emailing the hotel pretty much since you recommended it. They open bookings up to new clients 12 months in advance and when that time came around, they only offered me the loft suite. I can see why it's such a popular place though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy