Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer to Avoriaz - Prodains or Welcome Centre...?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - any Avoriaz knowledgable people out there who can offer some advice on the best transfer point?
From Geneva airport should we get a transfer to bottom of Prodains or should we get transfer all the way up to the Welcome Centre?
Accomodation is P&V Residence Atria-Crozats in the Crozats area of the village.

Not too much price difference, obviously a bit more for Welcome Centre.
Conscious we will have 4 kids with us and I believe the additional stretch up to Welcome Centre has 19 steep, hairpin bends so a little worried about travel sickness, therefore probably leaning towards Prodains at the moment.

Any thoughts / advice very much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the kids will appreciate starting the holiday by getting the bubble out of Prodains then getting a horse drawn sleigh to your accommodation. I know I did Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going to this season as well, but I'm staying just at the top of the Prodains Cable car so it's an obvious choice for me.

https://www.powderbeds.com/pub/downloads/11/Avoriaz%20Resort%20Map%2022.jpg

Atria Crozats is in building 9 on this map, so it is closer to the welcome centre, but you'd have to either get a luggage sled and walk, get one of the "tank" taxis, or get one of the horse drawn sleds (in increasing order of cost) to the accommodation whichever you choose. My transfers were €20pp cheaper to go to the Prodains, but then it costs €12 for a return pedestrian ticket for the cable car, so it's a pretty small saving overall. I think it is easier to get the taxis from the welcome centre than the top of the lift though, they should just be waiting at the welcome centre, but I think you have to call them to have them pick you up at the top of the cable car. Certainly not that difficult to do though.

The main thing I guess is the hairpins, there are a lot, and so if there is a history of car sickness for your kids then the cable car is probably the best option.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For P&V Residence Atria-Crozats I'd probably say the Welcome Centre to be honest as, at least according to Google it's at the top end of the 'centre of town' so not at all far from the WC/bit of a trek up from Prodains.

Also while the horse sleighs are nice they only take 4 people, or 3 people if you have luggage so you're more likely to end up in a piste basher.

Another plus for the WC is there's an indoor waiting area in case it's cold and it's also very organised, you get dropped at the WC, find the appropreate area for your accomodation (signs above the drop-off parking bays that you only see when someone points them out to you), and queue up to book a ride with the member of staff handling that section. Never come up from Prodains but never seen anything that organised so guess you just have to find the telephone number and call up to book.

As for the road up the bends are mainly on the climb out of Morzine and we didn't have any issues (and one of ours was nearly sick doing the channel tunnel).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome centre, it's too far up hill to walk from Prodains and there's a lot less available transport options there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
doddsie wrote:
Welcome centre, it's too far up hill to walk from Prodains and there's a lot less available transport options there.

Agree. Much better set up for arriving at the Welcome Centre, especially given where you're staying.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
May I jump on here by asking the same question about Hotel Dromonts? It’s much closer to Prodains so had planned for that, but if it’s a tough walk uphill in the dark some members of my group will not be amused… all adults though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

May I jump on here by asking the same question about Hotel Dromonts? It’s much closer to Prodains so had planned for that, but if it’s a tough walk uphill in the dark some members of my group will not be amused… all adults though.

As I said above, you can take the taxis or sleighs from the top of the cable car, you'll just need to call them when you get there (or best to call from the bottom of the cable car to save you waiting at the top). Even if you do walk, you won't have to walk uphill too much as there are public lifts within the town.

Dromonts is building 21 on the map below. From the top of the cable car it's a short and quite flat walk to building 45, which has the public lift marked in red on the map (follow signs for "ascenseur public"), take that up and then it's a short and also flat walk from the top of there up to the hotel.

https://www.powderbeds.com/pub/downloads/11/Avoriaz%20Resort%20Map%2022.jpg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@zaphod424, thanks so much for your reply. Super helpful! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yea, as zaphod424 said Dromonts is easy to get to from the top of Prodains - to the point I really wouldn't bother with a taxi unless you have people who over-pack. In fact even if you do I'd probably split the group, leaving a couple of people to look after/load the bags/taxi up while the rest of you walk/do the check-in/pop back outside to help unload when the bags arrive. Probably the hardest part will be getting people to walk past Changabang without stopping for a burger Very Happy

Actually one other thing for people to watch out for is what you're check-in process is going to be. We had an apartment in Avoriaz last year and the servicing company employed by the owner basically worked 9/5. We arrived later than that and their "Plan B" was "We'll leave your keys at reception in the Welcome Center". No we were driving/parking in Avoriaz so that was no hastle as that's where we were anyway but if we'd been coming up via Prodains either taxis of hiking from Prodains to the Welcome Center and back again...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+33 4 50 74 01 55
Number for Avoriaz ground transport (pista basher taxi).
My understanding was you can’t pre book and have to phone them when you get to Welcome Centre (with the assistance of the welcome centre staff) or call when you are at the top of Prodains Cable car.
Prodains cable car runs
Mon to Thurs 7am to 9pm
Fri & Sat 7am to Midnight
Sunday 7am to 10pm.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 11-10-22 16:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.avoriaz.com/en/staying/access-and-transport/arrival-and-departure

Link to resort info.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@martindobson,
If your arriving and departing at ‘sensible’ times that fit in with transfer company and the timetable for Prodains telecabin I would say Prodains and a piste basher taxi would be a fun and adventurous way to start and end the holiday.
There is a machine to buy pedestrian tickets at the base of the Prodains gondola if the ski-pass windows have closed.
For busy weeks I think/assume you can pre book your departure piste basher taxi?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, thank you, much appreciated and helpful hints noted. A good incentive to keep the luggage down. And late arrival Burger sounds like it could be just the ticket…!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:
Probably the hardest part will be getting people to walk past Changabang without stopping for a burger Very Happy

This is very true.
snow conditions
@247snowman wrote:
For busy weeks I think/assume you can pre book your departure piste basher taxi?

Nope, it's "Phone when you're ready" - or at least that's what we were told. 10am on a Feb Saturday it was a 15-20 min wait between calling and basher arriving.
snow report
Many thanks for all the v helpful comments.
I am thinking Welcome Centre may be best for us - accommodation is booked through Sunweb (not flights) and included is an 'in resort transfer'.
Unfortunately it doesn't state where that is from but I am assuming it is more likely to be from Welcome Centre.
Also, we're arriving late afternoon on Christmas Eve so keen to just get there asap and not risk hang around waiting for lifts / buying tickets etc.
ski holidays
+1 for the welcome centre.

Much easier.
latest report
Hi all sorry to bump an old thread - the Avoriaz ' Welcome Centre' mentioned here mutliple times - is that the Tourisme Office on Prom du Festival? Or is it somewhere near the obvious carpark/roundabout at the North end of the village?

Planning a trip and logistics, google maps can only help so much!
latest report
Welcome centre is at bus drop off area. Opposite ski school plateau so near the parking.

See resort plan on the link

https://www.avoriaz.com/en/staying/pratical-information/brochures/

https://en.calameo.com/avoriaz/read/002827892871be4c28999

Accueil Station on the Map
latest report
Perfect, thank you!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy