Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How a mate beat the weather (finally) & long Covid to climb & ski North face Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
So a good mate finally managed to climb & ski Mont Blanc earlier this year.

What is quite interesting is how he has battled with Long Covid for now well over two years, and prior to that the weather windows in his attempt to summit.

I know this is a big statement, and no doubt will get a few of you going, but he is one of the best Brit skiers I know, and a few guides I know also concur. I've seen him rip absolute shite polystyrene crust crap snow when even the guide was having issues.

Prior to Covid he was a very good cyclist, and still is/was but his long Covid hit him in a myriad of ways.

Basically, if he went into the Red Zone on a hard 3hr ride then three or four days later he would be wiped out, so he's had to educate himself not to go too hard, hence he's doing far more trad climbing and has recently acquired his paragliding license from flying here on the South Downs!

He was over with us last evening and suddenly became very tired at around 20:30 after dinner, and it wasn't the boring conversation Laughing

His relationship with his guide is immensely strong and he's able to ski most weekends in the season with him doing challenging stuff all the time.

And for those on here who have done it, of which I know there are a few think you'll find it interesting too etc

Here's the feature.

https://stylealtitude.com/ski-mountaineering-climbing-skiing-mont-blanc.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks, that's on my to do list. Fun to read
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Being guided up Mont Blanc isn't very noteable, bit of a doddle, summer or winter, depending on your experience/fitness. Doing it unguided is an entirely different matter, I certainly enjoyed planning it all myself both times I've done it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nevis1003 wrote:
Being guided up Mont Blanc isn't very noteable, bit of a doddle, summer or winter, depending on your experience/fitness. Doing it unguided is an entirely different matter, I certainly enjoyed planning it all myself both times I've done it.

skiing off the summit is a good deal less common though (not that it is that remarkable)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely not as common, but I would say most ascents/descents up until June are on skis. I skied down late May, there were a lot of others doing it. Most unguided.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nevis1003 wrote:
Definitely not as common, but I would say most ascents/descents up until June are on skis. I skied down late May, there were a lot of others doing it. Most unguided.
im sure you are right but I’d have thought the vast majority of ascents are not before June?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting the thought that altitude might improve long covid. I think one of the more effective treatments for covid itself is dexamethasone, a drug well known to high altitude doctors, tens to be pulled out of the bag when people are in real trouble with altitude sickness.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8611 wrote:
Interesting the thought that altitude might improve long covid. I think one of the more effective treatments for covid itself is dexamethasone, a drug well known to high altitude doctors, tens to be pulled out of the bag when people are in real trouble with altitude sickness.

My mate/dentist has had to pack in work due to long covid and part of his treatment is regular sessions in a pressure chamber.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@8611, @spyderjon, still staying on topic as it were.....

I've been reading up recently on Statins and alternatives, as my cholesterol figs were extremely high.

Anyway, one book The Great Cholesterol Myth goes into inordinate amounts of detail/research and out of it I came across
D-Ribose and after some Googling it is now being used in the treatment of Long Covid.

The OH of my mate (above) is a fastidious nutritionist/vegan and for the past couple of years she has become an expert (as much as you can) on Long Covid, anyway she was highly sceptical when yours truly told her about D-Ribose as she had never come across it.

After a day or two she came back to me, after researching, extremely grateful for my "find", I have not actually followed up on whether they used it as treatment yet rolling eyes

And @spyderjon, I'm pretty sure you know "Bing" Bingham ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
........And @spyderjon, I'm pretty sure you know "Bing" Bingham ?

Yep, and his brother and their old mate Tim.

IIRC, did Bing get caught in a slide a few years ago?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Being guided up Mont Blanc isn't very noteable, bit of a doddle, summer or winter, depending on your experience/fitness

A cross-country ski instructor I did a week with in Saisies was also a mountain guide and had been asked to guide a man in his 80s up Mont Blanc. The guy had done a lot of demanding things in his time, but still, the guide decided it was too much responsibility and said he'd do it if a doctor who knew the old man came along, to help make any crucial decisions about turning back. The doctor came, the trip went very well and evidently the customer was thrilled with the whole thing, though it hadn't been a doddle.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:
im sure you are right but I’d have thought the vast majority of ascents are not before June?

Wouldn't that be a function of there being better stuff to do elsewhere? It is more a May-June thing because it is still possible and there is chance of good snow.

It is also bitterly cold at altitude in the winter although you do get quite stable weather windows plus the days are very short.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8611 wrote:

Dexamethasone is a pretty powerful steroid used to suppress brain swelling during high altitude cerebral oedema. I say suppress because it's a temporary fix, with the idea it will keep you alive long enough to get down to a lower altitude. It certainly has been used for COVID treatment, but I suspect the mechanism is quite different.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
jedster wrote:

Wouldn't that be a function of there being better stuff to do elsewhere? It is more a May-June thing because it is still possible and there is chance of good snow.

It is also bitterly cold at altitude in the winter although you do get quite stable weather windows plus the days are very short.

That sounds right but my real point was that it is more of a summer alpinism peak than a ski touring peak IYKWIM
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:

That sounds right but my real point was that it is more of a summer alpinism peak than a ski touring peak IYKWIM

ah yes, for climbing it is a July/August thing
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
....IIRC, did Bing get caught in a slide a few years ago?....

No, not anything major, and I would have known.

And yes, I know Phil very well and Timmy, having skied with them on many an occasion.

And as you know Bing does not do "doddle" Laughing
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
davidof wrote:
jedster wrote:

It was closed this year in July/August, not the first time in the summer. Times are changing, a lot of climbers do it on ski now, or outwith the warm part of the summer. I wouldn't go near it in summer, the Grand couloir is a death trap.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy