Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The adventure begins again - Patroling at a new resort

Poster: A snowHead
Last week I accepted a job for the upcoming winter at Megeve! Probably as different a resort as possible from last winter at La Romme, but just the oposite side of the same mountain, les Aravis.
This winter I will not be a lifty, a mechanic, an electrician. I will be a full time patroler and part time info post.
My mornings will start earlier and my days will finish later, but the drive will be shorter.
I will have to ski many runs to open them and at the end of day close them. Many more signs to put up and take down.
I will probably have to do more than 5 rescues in a season, wont be surprised if I end up doing more than 5 a week.
Lunch is provided and if I'm not to busy I get an hour to eat it. No more packed lunch on the go!
There will be co workers and Colleagues to learn from, not make it up as I go along.
There are procedures, plans and preparednes, not just thrown the keys and told best of luck.
New uniform of many parts not just a used Jacket with a name on it.
Why did I get the job, they wanted an experienced person with real English skils (They only have one other real english speaker on the whole operations staff). As a bonus I'm happy to do high wire rescue (aparently the majority of staff are terrified of it?)
Am I looking forward to it, hell yes. Any terpedation, yup they grilled me for 10 min about where my rugby loyalties lie....and I don't even have a telly!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Impressive. Best of luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Congratulations, hopefully I’ll here a English accent in the megeve uniform & say hello , rather than you asking me if it hurts Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good luck. 5 a day is probably more like it at Megeve
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic!
Will you get to do the avalanche control, bombs & all, I would assume that's after further (extensive!) training...?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent, congratulations Totally different from last season but no doubt as rewarding.

Looking forward to the reports again, when you can Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well played @Idris,
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic

Have a great season

So as they knew you were Pays de Galles it was sealed Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Congratulations, we will be out in March so thanks for looking after it. Any news on if they are expecting a busy season?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well done! Looking forward to the always interesting reports from the other side on the resort fence.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Idris, nice one! Well done. Although Romme is quite special
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking forward to tales of the season, both highs and lows, and details of working with the helicopters.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Idris, congratulations.

as someone who had to call on the services of the Megeve patrollers a few years ago, my daughter twisted her knee and had to be "bloodwaggoned" off the mountain to st gervais, i can say the patroller was amazing and she put my daughter at ease laughing and joking with her and all of us.

i visited the resort a few weeks later with a work colleauge, and saw her on the slopes, when i stopped to thank her, she remembered my daughter and asked how she was doing and passed on her good wishes.
suffice to say her English was exceptional compared to my "allo, allo" french Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

i have always been in awe of all the patrollers wherever i have skied.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds great and it's a ski area I love, so that's great to hear. Congrats.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That’s the dream. Have a great season.
latest report
No Style wrote:
Congratulations, we will be out in March so thanks for looking after it. Any news on if they are expecting a busy season?

Yes. Advance booking are busy. Last winter Combloux (which is mostly french Tourists) had its busiest season ever. If the summer is anythig to go by, then busy but messy.
snow report
@Idris, best of luck for a great season!
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
@Idris, best of luck for a great season!

+1

That's great. Hope to see you on the mountain sometime. And not because you are putting me in a blood wagon!
snow report
Impressive, that sounds like an ideal job. I would love most of it, but the high wire thing may have my knees wobbling.
snow report
Quote:

Looking forward to tales of the season, both highs and lows

+1 Drove through Megeve and Combloux today, in stunning weather, with every facet of the mountains crystal clear. It won't always be like that!!
snow report
Idris wrote:
Last week I accepted a job for the upcoming winter at Megeve! Probably as different a resort as possible from last winter at La Romme, but just the oposite side of the same mountain, les Aravis.
This winter I will not be a lifty, a mechanic, an electrician. I will be a full time patroler and part time info post.
My mornings will start earlier and my days will finish later, but the drive will be shorter.
I will have to ski many runs to open them and at the end of day close them. Many more signs to put up and take down.
I will probably have to do more than 5 rescues in a season, wont be surprised if I end up doing more than 5 a week.
Lunch is provided and if I'm not to busy I get an hour to eat it. No more packed lunch on the go!
There will be co workers and Colleagues to learn from, not make it up as I go along.
There are procedures, plans and preparednes, not just thrown the keys and told best of luck.
New uniform of many parts not just a used Jacket with a name on it.
Why did I get the job, they wanted an experienced person with real English skils (They only have one other real english speaker on the whole operations staff). As a bonus I'm happy to do high wire rescue (aparently the majority of staff are terrified of it?)
Am I looking forward to it, hell yes. Any terpedation, yup they grilled me for 10 min about where my rugby loyalties lie....and I don't even have a telly!

I once saw a pisteur catch a helicopter ride purely so he could get to the restaurant for lunch without getting on the chairlift. We were getting on the chairlift, heli with rotors turning at the bottom, unloaded some gear, pisteur comes running over and jumps in, chairlift leaves, heli fires up, we get about 3rd of way up, heli takes off, over takes us about halfway up, manoeuvres to land, we’re about 3/4 up, lands, he jumps out, heli takes off, we dock, he skis off, we follow him wondering what was so important…. He skis straight in to resto for lunch…. Lunch, lunch was so important. Brilliant.
snow conditions
Thanks for the update that it may be a busy season, I'm pleased as want the businesses to keep going. Have a great season.
snow conditions
A couple of days of corprate stuff and getting ready for the season.

snow conditions
Congratulations, it takes good skills and then you learn more skills on top! Hopefully, you get that heli ride.
snow report
It's been over 2 months since I've updated this, sorry. In that time we got rained almost shut, got snowed on and 2 rounds of holidays (in the middle of the 2nd set).

Every morning I open runs, I am lucky we get a different circuit (we have 9) each day, some resorts you stick to one for the season. Sometimes it's so fresh you follow the piste bashers as they go home. Early season we see sunrise on the mountain.

Not all the runs can be accesed by gravity at the start of the day, so we call and uber and get a tow (these are lifties going first)

http://youtube.com/v/5dtcP4gdW2A

Sometmes reopening runs that have been shut for a while

Some morning there is a fair bit to fix

Mornings are usually quite in terms of rescues, so we spend time making sure things are right (in some parts of the ski world there is trail crew to do this, but here it's patrol). After the last big snowfall we had to find all the buiried safety mats and dig them up

Lunch is taken in shifts so there is always someone on call - NOW, not 5 min later after extracting yourself from a resturant. In Megeve we do eat quite well Wink

Early afternoon is when we get most calls, I've been lead or solo on more than a dozen and aid to three times that number so far this season. A few scary ones but nothing that you can't recover from (eventually),a few anoying ones that you may not get called for in another country and whole bunch of knees!

I've only been on two heli assisted rescues so far, one was quite serious and both were in places that are hard to get out from with a person in a rescue sled.

Sometimes you end up in a corner thinking how am I going to get them out of here. When it's not a serious accident (or other mitigating circumstances) we can't just call for a heli. This one in a stream bed took a bit of thought and making a escape route on foot.

Once we've found you, stabilized you, then it's off by sled to the ambulance

http://youtube.com/v/wxDAbVMNPMw

At the end of the day we get to watch the sun go down from the top of the mountain

We each have a run or runs to close on the way home, sometimes they are a bit of a mess

And sometimes its nice

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 24-02-23 15:46; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Thanks for this glimpse into your days, @Idris, snowHead
ski holidays
Great pics and narrative
snow report
Great stuff, thanks for posting.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome pics and insights, helps us appreciate all the efforts from those behind the scenes of a resort. So that we can enjoy the pistes. Thank you for your service!
snow report
Great post - thanks!
ski holidays
What a great read, thank you.
latest report
Superb @Idris!
snow conditions
I see there are no tomatoes or peppers in evidence wink
snow conditions
Fantastic read. Thank you for posting.
snow conditions
Great insight & hope not to see you except for in a bar in town where I’d happily buy you a beer.
I got rescued about 4 years ago from you guys and all I can remember is the reassurance that these guys know what they are doing.
Thank you
ski holidays
I echo the thanks and respect - and offer belated congratulations in being accepted by a rather elite group.
latest report
Top post Idris, thanks.
latest report
Fantastic inside info.

Most rescues are after lunch? How often do you feel alcohol plays a part? It certainly does on the roads.
latest report
That's superb, I'm often out solo in the afternoon when my wife's had enough. Had many a chat with a Patrol guy on the lift. Always so modest and friendly in my experience.
snow conditions
Thanks Idris.
Hopefully there will be a lot more snow and you can tell tales of explosives and other boys toys!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy