Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt ( Tasch)

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick question, we are heading to Cervina /zermatt at the end of January. While the original plan was to stay in Valtournache, looking at the ski map the best skiing seems to be over on the Zermatt side . So I got the bright idea of staying in Tasch as we will have a car. My questions are, has anyone done this drive from Milan? Is the Car transport on the train expensive, and is the train from Tasch to Zermatt expensive? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These links are useful for getting from Tasch to Zermatt

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/arrival/Arrival-by-train

https://shop.matterhorngotthardbahn.ch/mgb_en/bergbahn/ticket?ref=zermatt
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@biddpyat, when do you plan to arrive to Zermatt?
You can add train tickets from Tasch to Zermatt to your skipass, it's a couple of CHF less this way:
https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Information/Tickets-prices/Price-calculator?interests=525974&category[]=519269&consumers[]=Adults&from=2022-10-08&to=2022-10-14
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many people do this. However, I did not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Täsch is very uninspiring. Really hardly more than the huge parking for Zermatt
The train to Zermatt takes time. After arrival in Zermatt the Gornergratbahn takes a lot of time.
Skibus to Klein Matterhorn….
Sunnega: unpleasant underground train
Cumbersome, very….
And the skiing in Zermatt is far from excellent. So many better spots for that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langerzug, so not the best resort in the world then? All my illusions have been shattered , I’ll have to go for a lie down now.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 8-10-22 10:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ster, indeed. Zermatt is a must see for Matterhorn and the nice village.
But far from the best skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Langerzug, i think I know your favourite flavour Little Angel
Arlberg is a simple and comfy train ride from Zurich, everything is well connected and one can ski all day long without repeating a single piste.
But for early and late season, Zermatt (and a very few others) has its distinct advantages. The Sonnega underground transfer is not worse than Tignes' and only tourists need the 30+ min. train ride to Gornergrat
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, oh well, at least it will be scenic. And when we go there may be little snow anyway.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Langerzug, Which resorts have better skiing than Zermatt, I have been there several times and rate it in my top three.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@drporat, ever heard of the underground train in Kaprun? (if not, google Kaprun disaster) After that you will not want to be in something similar. (I've been there before the disaster, and every time I hear about it I get the shivers...the image of the very few survivors that made the right decision to walk down the tunnel....)
And no, not only Arlberg is (much) better than Zermatt's skiing.
Think Quatre Vallées, Trois Vallées, Val d'Isère. And even Ischgl' skiing is better than Zermatt.
Zermatt does not really have any truly great 'classic' piste. Limited off-piste. Boring glacier. Unpleasant long and large cable-cars. Winds closing the Cervinia-connection. Will not return!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Langerzug, How would you define a "truly great 'classic' piste"?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I recall leading an SCGB trip there some years ago, at the time when we lived in Engelberg. A snowboard mate of mine joined the group I was skiing with, and kept reminding me that the blacks we were skiing were "only an Engelberg red". After the group had gone home we drove back round to our place and skied the Saturday afternoon, and at one point he called me over to where he was standing and pointed out the he was on a red run steeper than any of the Zermatt blacks.

So yeah, it's not an extreme skiing resort in that sense, but it is extensive and scenic, so I wouldn't be put off by the negative comments @biddpyat.

Staying in Taesch, however, I would not recommend. As previously pointed out it's a long trek to and from the skiing and can put quite a cramp on your day. We did it once for a long weekend and while it was doable, and we weren't needing the 'holiday' experience, given we were skiing every weekend anyway, I wouldn't repeat it.

What I would say though is that in my view some of the better skiing, including off-piste, is to be found on the Cervinia side. Zermatt is largely shaded during the day at that time of year, so can get quite cold and depressing, and contrary to what you might think the snow on the South-facing Italian slopes is often better than the Swiss side. Never stayed in Valtournanche, but it always looked OK, and the access to Cervinia proper and thence to Zermatt is not too shabby, with several ways up and over now.

And the food on the Italian side is twice as good for half the price, so if you like to eat (and drink) it should certainly be a consideration. The "Polenta Valdostana con Salsiccia" to be found in several of the mountain restaurants is a superb local dish and a particular favourite of mine, served in several of the mountain restaurants, and it's by no means the only good choice.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 8-10-22 18:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@biddpyat, I assume that you are considering staying in Tasch to keep the cost down. If not, then it's easy to leave your car there, hop on the train with your luggage and get to your accom by taxi from Zermatt station.
Tasch to Zermatt is about 15 minutes by train, so if you get a place close to the station in Tasch, the impact is simply getting up 15 minutes earlier each day - for a saving of £100's per person, so not bad.
Once at Zermatt station it's less than a 10 minute walk to the Sunnegga funi and the buses to Klein Matterhorn base station are regular and fairly quick.
There is lots of great skiing on both sides.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DCG wrote:
Once at Zermatt station….buses to Klein Matterhorn base station are regular and fairly quick

Are there buses to the lifts? We staying near Zermatt train station in late Oct. Do they run then and start early?
ski holidays
The 'green line' electro bus goes from outside the Gornergratbahn station, just opposite the main station. But it goes the 'wrong' way first, looping round the north end of Zermatt before heading along the river to the Matterhorn Express lift. It's a good way of avoiding crowds at busy times - you get on an empty bus. As others have said, you can walk to the Sunnegga funicular in about 10 minutes. Or, if you time it right, just get a Gornergrat train and chill for 30 minutes or so. Or splash out CHF 15 for a taxi....
snow report
@ster, As @caughtanedge, has said, but in late October it will only be the Klein Matterhorn area open and i don't know what the bus timetables are like then
snow report
@DCG, @caughtanedge, thanks both.
snow conditions
Ah yes - I just posted a link to the Zermatt e-bus timetable but I can't understand it so deleted it. I don't know what it will be like in October. You could try emailing the tourist office (zermatt.ch) they would know.
snow conditions
@DCG, there is no definition. But the 22 km piste from Klein Matterhorn is definitely not.
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, it is not about being ‘extreme’ or not.
Zermatt’ tourism started in summer. And summer is still the best time to visit Zermatt.
Zermatt is rightly famous, but for skiing, there are much better destinations, and not just for ‘extreme’
latest report
@caughtanedge, the timetables have dates on them if you look at them on a pc rather than the stripped down mobile versions.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@drporat, ever heard of the underground train in Kaprun? (if not, google Kaprun disaster) After that you will not want to be in something similar.

On that basis, do you refuse to fly, or travel by road - as thousands have died that way over the years? Puzzled
snow report
@ster, thanks
latest report
@Langerzug, unfortunately tragedies do happen all the time around us.
Of course I heard about the Kaprun disaster but it didn't modify my decision to use underground trains all over the world.
For me it is not a reason to avoid Grande Motte in Tignes or Sonnega in Zermatt.
I also heard about the Cavalese cable car whose cable was cut by an American fighter plane and the pilot was acquitted. And last year there was an Italian cable car in Piemonte who crashed with people inside due to maintaining crew's negligence.
Do not watch the next link for you may not wish to take a cable car or a gondola again, it is very graphic and shows the moment the gondola lost control (CCTV from the mountain station)
VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED:
https://twitter.com/Tg3web/status/1405111148907749378?s=20
People around us die all the time, and one day it will be our turn. Nothing we plan and do can avoid an accident out of our control, be it in the city or outside.
Back to Tasch, general impression: renting outside an expensive ski village and spending 20 to 30 minutes to get there due to budget limitations/priorities is a well acknowledged option.
Be it Tasch to Zermatt, Pettneu to St. Anton, Galtur to Ischgl or even Chur to Lenzerheide as I contemplated.
Impossible not to enjoy train transfers when one starts skiing in Austria and CH
snow conditions
@drporat, Sunnega is part of the overall Zermatt lift-system that I don’t like. On top of a ski-area (pistes, off piste) that I find suboptimal.
And I know quite a few people that agree.
Just a slight warning for those that expect a lot of famous Zermatt
(And I know about the Stresa cablecar (our summers are spend on the Italian Lakes) and still use cablecars. But much prefer gondola’s or even better, chairs. The Kaprun and Sunnega train were already very unpleasant before the Kaprun disaster)
ski holidays
@biddpyat, Just going back to your original question, yes I have frequently driven from Milan to Täsch. The drive is really nice providing you are doing it in the light and in decent weather - two big caveats in the winter!

One big warning: if you are hiring a car in Milan make 100% certain you get winter tyres. They are not certain to provide them (at Swiss airports you would always get them).

The car train is about CH25 each way. It is fine. If it is light, weather is good and it is open (which it is most of the time other than after a big storm) it is actually nice driving over the Simplon pass instead.

However, I would say the better way would be to take the train. That is really nice but the big disadvantage is that you need to go from the airport into central Milan to get the train - they are building a connection but it it still a couple of years away.

As others have said if you are in Täsch it is best to have the shuttle on your ski pass. Even if you already have your pass I think if you go to the ticket office in Täsch train station I think they can upgrade it. Even if not they can sell you the best multi day ticket. Otherwise a one way ticket is CHF8.20. The shuttle takes 12 minutes and runs every 20 minutes.

Täsch has some nice, well priced hotels. But it is only a base for Zermatt and does not have other things going on (there are supermarkets and takeaways).

I hope you enjoy Zermatt/Cervinia. Every list of best skiing (not just location, ambience) includes Zermatt. So it is one you should try to do at least once in your life. You can then make your own judgment.
snow report
@biddpyat, JohnMo gives a rational response and one I agree with. Having over 50 years skiing in most European countries, Zermatt is the best resort I have been to. A lot of that is due to the nature of the town itself and of course the Matterhorn. It’s height and north facing attitude means it keeps it’s snow very well for early and late trips. The sunnegga lift is great, unless you have claustrophobia. As is the train, slow but fantastic views. Matterhorn express as the final initial route up has all new cabins this year. Having stayed in Cervinia last year with family, the food is marginally cheaper, but that in Zermatt is undoubtedly the best is the world. Now if you don’t want great food,( at a price), probably the best ski resort views in the world, very good piste skiing, but just mileage of pistes, plenty of other excellent resorts are available. Try it and make your own mind up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar wrote:
Having stayed in Cervinia last year with family, the food is marginally cheaper, but that in Zermatt is undoubtedly the best in the world.

Hilarious.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
...Sunnega is part of the overall Zermatt lift-system that I don’t like...

I get it that you don't like funiculars, but what else about Zermatt's lift system don't you like?
snow conditions
@Langerzug, glad you’re laughing. Not just my opinion but many others. @biddpyat, Try Chez Vroney, Findlerhof, Blattern for starters. Where’s better on the mountain @Langerzug, ? Name names.
snow report
@twoodwar, I’m well aware of several good quality restaurants in Zermatt. But ‘best in the world’ is ridiculous.
And then there is the CHF-issue….I’m getting same quality restaurants at 50% in eg. Lech.

@DCG, Sunnega, Gornergrat and the huge number of cable-cars. Cable-cars mean walking, stairs, queuing, waiting, packed people, huge unpleasant and ugly stations (Furi!)
Simply uncomfy. And then the pistes are so-so on top of that….Zermatt is so overrated!
Gondola’s and especially chairs are so much more pleasant.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, I repeat name names. Websites and prices can then be checked if anyones interested. Throwaway comments like ‘Hilarious’ don’t help anyone. The thread is here to help people in my view. Constructive advice with facts where possible and helpful are what’s needed I feel.
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@drporat, ever heard of the underground train in Kaprun? (if not, google Kaprun disaster) After that you will not want to be in something similar. (I've been there before the disaster, and every time I hear about it I get the shivers...the image of the very few survivors that made the right decision to walk down the tunnel....)
And no, not only Arlberg is (much) better than Zermatt's skiing.
Think Quatre Vallées, Trois Vallées, Val d'Isère. And even Ischgl' skiing is better than Zermatt.
Zermatt does not really have any truly great 'classic' piste. Limited off-piste. Boring glacier. Unpleasant long and large cable-cars. Winds closing the Cervinia-connection. Will not return!

I remember skiing in Les Arcs in 1982 - lift system was terrible...will not return!

Seriously, when did you last visit Zermatt? It is one of the world's iconic ski resorts. I'd recommend everyone to go at least once. Not necessarily every trip (as it's damn expensive), but for the beautiful village, of course the Matterhorn, but also for the skiing, which is served by plenty of fast, modern cable cars. Ski from Klein to the village - vert drop of 2200m - not many places you can do that. Guaranteed snow due to glacier (not going to dispute that it might be boring, but that's what glacier skiing is like. They tend to be rounded bits of ice with snow on top). No idea what a 'classic piste' is, but Zermatt links so much better than in the old days (eg when I did a season there in 1993), you can start in Sunegga and ski your way round the whole area if you want.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
@twoodwar, I’m well aware of several good quality restaurants in Zermatt. But ‘best in the world’ is ridiculous.
And then there is the CHF-issue….I’m getting same quality restaurants at 50% in eg. Lech.

@DCG, Sunnega, Gornergrat and the huge number of cable-cars. Cable-cars mean walking, stairs, queuing, waiting, packed people, huge unpleasant and ugly stations (Furi!)
Simply uncomfy. And then the pistes are so-so on top of that….Zermatt is so overrated!
Gondola’s and especially chairs are so much more pleasant.

Described as “The world capital of mountain restaurants” by Welove2ski…
https://welove2ski.com/zermatt

You are used to the shitty ancient cable car to the Valluga where you need a guide to hold your hand

The new cable car in Zermatt is state of the art, well connected and super quick. To scoff at it, having never even ridden it, is just to parade your ignorance
https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/News/Media-Corner/Matterhorn-Alpine-Crossing/Media%20kit/The-highest-cable-car-station-in-the-Alps
snow report
Thank you all so very much for your information. I was looking at Tasch, because I had thought perhaps it was better to stay the Zermatt side, because the ski map looks like it has far better skiing on the Zermatt side, and looking at the Routes, ( yellow) they seem to be mostly around sunnega, hence I thought rather than faff at the end of the day, to stay Zermatt side. After reading the thread, I think I will stay the Cervina side, and travel over. The faffing with trains busses, and cable cars in the morning is off putting. When I can put on my skis and ski to the klein Matterhorn and go over. Also the point that the snow is better on Cervina side was a factor. Just to prevent getting stuck on Zermatt side will be our main concern.
ski holidays
@biddpyat, Just a warning on that, if you are going for the yellow routes (the itineraries) end January is not a good time. The Rote Nase lift to the best area doesn’t even start until 4 February (and didn’t get going at all last season because of the poor snow). Zermatt and Cervinia are high glacial and former glacial areas. So they are rocky. That means you need quite a lot of snow for the itineraries to be up and running.
snow report
The trick is to work out the routes and timing for getting back from the Zermatt side. If you don't know the system this can be complicated, and the first time (or two) you do it best to leave plenty of extra time, which means you really can't explore and enjoy the Rothorn - and will have limited time for Trifti if the conditions are right - this is significant if you are an off piste skier. These areas are the 'reason' to stay in Zermatt really, you can enjoy the rest of Zermatt and Cervinia / VT from either side.
However I concur with others, staying on the Italian side MUCH cheaper and convenient - the international lift pass is much cheaper from that side also.
However here's an idea - wonder what others think of this?
Stay on the Italian side, but book one night in the Bahnhof 'hostel' hotel - its super convenient and v good value. (you'll need to book well in advance). Ski over with minimum overnight gear (and some soft shoes in backpack) then have a long day in Zermatt, great night in town enjoying music venues etc - then start next day from Zermatt so get to enjoy these regions fully. That way you get almost the best of both, bit of an adventure, ... but it will cost you for the overnight and I think you will need to pay extra to get back into lift system from the Swiss side - although that must be possible for those that accidentally get suck the wrong side. (if you do get stuck the wrong side I would prefer trying to overnight than the very long and expensive taxi.)
snow report
Thanks @JohnMo, and@pisteoff, sad to hear the iteneries won't be open, but it makes sense. In that case I will treat the trip like any other ski trip, and make sure I time the lift back to the Italian side correctly. May do mornings in Zermatt and after lunch on the cervina side. We ski quite fast, and prefer the steeper slopes, so we will be marking out where we want to go. I am looking forward to the new Olympic run. Off piste We do a bit, but not enough experience to hire a guide, so the itineries would have suited, but I know there are safe areas between pistes that we can potter about on, on the Cervina side.
snow report
@biddpyat, In a normal season a few of the itineraries on the Zermatt side will be open end Jan. Think Rote Nase (Trifti) can open before Feb if conditions are right, (there is a new lift going on - not sure of timing on that - anyone know?) but you can access some of the same / similar off piste off the top of Hohtali. Needs snow though else lots of rock hoping. There are options which certainly qualify as steep.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy