Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A resort for a short Christmas break

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Looking for a few ideas! The OH and I have managed to get a few days off over Christmas, so looking to get away for some much needed R&R (+ski!). We are heading out on the 23rd and coming back on the 27th so just the 4 nights away.

We are looking for a resort that will have a bit of Christmas charm. We only have the 3 full days, so size of ski area isn't an factor and would fancy trying somewhere we may not look at for our longer ski trips. Perhaps something off the beaten track but not adverse to a more main stream option. Ideally somewhere with some off piste options if snow conditions aren't great or the weather is rubbish. We did look at Finland but can't get the flights, but could potentially do somewhere in Norway. But happy to look at any European country really!

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't been there at Christmas, but I imagine La Clusaz would be nice at Christmas time. It's not a huge ski area, but plenty enough for 3 days skiing and only around an hour from Geneva Airport.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Fridge03, with these dates, it will be difficult to find accommodation anywhere. Vast majority of acco's require a full week-booking during Christmas
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Fridge03, I'd look at Austria, some of the smaller resorts like Nauders would suit you well, or if it's serious R&R maybe a spa resort like Bad Hofgastein.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fridge03, budget?

There’s a new Swedish place in Verbier literally just opened but you’re looking at 400chf per night
https://www.shedhotels.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Langerzug wrote:
@Fridge03, with these dates, it will be difficult to find accommodation anywhere. Vast majority of acco's require a full week-booking during Christmas

Air BnB is showing lots of options across different resorts.
And a few of the hotels I’ve started looking at as well are allowing less than a week bookings.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Transfers will be the biggest issue. Hire car will be too expensive and shared transfer unlikely to operate midweek.

Look at some of the Swiss resorts you can access by train from GVA in a couple of hours. Most should have a bunch of hotels and AirBnB available. E.g. Champery, Les Diablerets, and Verbier (already mentioned).

Also from ZUR you've got Engleberg and Andermatt, Lauterbrunen/Wengen/Grindelwald etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zell -am - See, Christmas perfection!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seefeld via Innsbruck?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fridge03 wrote:
Langerzug wrote:

Air BnB is showing lots of options across different resorts.
And a few of the hotels I’ve started looking at as well are allowing less than a week bookings.

But are these resorts/acco that appeal to you? Since you’re asking for more, here…?

But, I must say, rumour has it that coming season is quite different than any season before (due to energy prices). So maybe you picked a good year Laughing
Be aware that Christmas is always tricky snow-wise, you need to go high. Slight hint: Our favorite, Lech, (and one of the most sought after resorts for Christmas) is showing just 12 accos available. For the full week that is.
And Norway/Finland during Christmas?……do bring a flashlight…….
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd consider St Anton, very easy to reach by train from Innsbruck. You just need to take the regular bus from the airport to the main railway station. The connection to St Anton is direct reasonably priced and a lot cheaper than hiring a car or taking a taxi. We did a 3 day break over Christmas and skied Christmas day and Boxing day returning to the office before new year. It worked very well for us, there are also rail connections from Zurich airport although a little longer. We had no trouble getting 3 nights accommodation staying just above the Galzigbahn ski in ski out aswell.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Hire car will be too expensive

Not necessarily. Whereas flight costs, and paid transfers, are the same for a week as for half a week, a rental car will cost significantly less "per ski day". When time is of the essence, it's what I'd generally choose. The toll and fuel costs for resorts not too far from airports are not too bad.

For experienced skiers Chamonix is also worth a look, and there are more transport options.

But if "Christmas charm" is a key criterion, any town like La Clusaz or Chamonix, in a valley bottom, won't guarantee resort level snow. Also near Geneva, though a little short on any kind of charm, is Flaine. A less mainstream option, less likely to be surrounded by Brits and an easy drive from Geneva, is Combloux, quite an attractive village in itself, though like other such places, no guarantee that the immediate surroundings will be snowy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Fridge03, you've got slightly too many criteria. The crucial ones are having short and easy flights and transfers so you make the most of your time, and finding a place which has accommodation for a part week. You don't need a huge ski area, and I suggest you compromise on the concept of "Christmas charm" on the basis resorts in the valleys with lifts to the slope are better for transport but with lower likelihood of village snow on those dates.

From Geneva, Combloux might be an interesting possibility as above, or the link into Grand Massif (Flaine) from Les Carroz. Or Megeve or St Gervais. La Clusaz is a bit further, with a slightly higher likelihood of snow, as is Les Contamines.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Innsbruck? Might be a bit low for Christmas week.

St Anton? - several options for your dates on booking.com. And the train gets you there, so you can arrive just like in Chalet Girl!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Innsbruck? Might be a bit low for Christmas week

But high on Christmas charm, nonetheless? Bit further to many slopes.
ski holidays
Engelberg.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy