Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2022/23 Thread + Courchevel Méribel 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@rjs, I don't count GBR championships as some reference when it comes to this Smile Mainly because it's quite exotic thing (no offense guys Very Happy), and it can really easy happen, that once in a while you get quite strong women contender (like Chemmy was), and you are on average with men, this comparisson can get pretty scewed. For proper comparisson we should either compare WC, where you have best on world, or at least nation which has consistantly top racers (Austia or Switzerland).
@Scooter in Seattle, of course she did... at least for tv interviews in reality she wasn't on men skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@primoz, The comparison was with Chemmy's now husband, who was also racing WC at the time, he was a lot faster than Chemmy. This was at Meribel, on a WC piste.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs I remember his name, but not results, so if I checked right now, it was comparison between someone who never scored a single WC point and someone who was let's say top 15 or top 20 on WC (not in single race but overall). And then the one who never scored a single point wins by far, yet some people (don't mean you @rjs) still think that, if allowed to race against men, women could easily beat men.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@primoz, I am agreeing with you that LV would not beat men in a WC. We are arguing about whether there is real evidence for it, I think there is.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lucas Braathen had appendix surgery. He will miss Chamonix but hopes to be fit for the Worlds
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjs, we are not even arguing on that Smile There is real evidence. One is this what you wrote, even if in my mind not best one, and the other one is for example Schild going as furerunner in Schladming. Your can be easily checked, Schild's time on other hand was never put out in public officially, but everyone in and around WC those years, had official time keepers time of her run. And of course there's third, and probably best one, I was writting about... team event on WCH or Olympics, where times of more or less top men and more or less top women running same course at same time and with same conditions, even if course is super short and super easy, are there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty sure Lindsey Vonn asked the FIS if she could compete with the Men and got turned down. I've got no doubt Shiffrin would do very well in the Men's slalom.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depending what means very well for you. Being 7, 8, or 10sec behind in one run might be "very well" for someone, but most likely that's not what you are expecting, even though that's where she would be Wink Vonn certainly did go on campaig with "I wanna race with men", while on the other side complaining like hell when DH courses were "too icy" (you should see those course inspection on spot, to know how much that campaign was for real and not just PR joke). And women courses are more or less a bit harder snow, compared to men injection, so yeah I guess at those days, everyone (except FIS, who would have whole bunch of sh**it because of consequences) would be happy to see her try to ski down Kitz on race day, just to finally end that campaign (no I'm not going into, but she did ski it just fine now, and even in darkness). I'm pretty sure I also know what would happen when someone would say "here, please be on start tomorrow with number 63".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It would be great to see Shiffrin race against the men. Personally I think she would be pushing for podiums and wins, but who knows.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good one Laughing For startes, I would suggest you to go to WC race, and stand next to the course. Even just by the sound of plastic slapping (power and frequency is so much different from men to women races it's hard to even say women slap them) you will very quickly realize that there's absolutely no way she would be anywhere near podiums.... She would be really really lucky if she would maybe once in a while qualify for second run. But that's why there are men races and women races, with no one for everyone races.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some of men are flying off that jump early in the Combined Super G today
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
russ_e wrote:
It would be great to see Shiffrin race against the men. Personally I think she would be pushing for podiums and wins, but who knows.

This does feel unlikely. Women can beat men in ultra
marathons, but in anything involving short durations where peak power is a key element of success, the ladies have two chances: none, and even less than that.

It’s hard to appreciate the differential until men and women race side by side at the elite level. In the mixed medley swimming relay, for tactical reasons, men and women don’t swim in a standard or prescribed order. So you often have a man and a women side by side going absolutely flat out. Off the start, even mid-ranking (by international standards) guys leave the women’s WR holder for dead, typically gaining a body length just on the underwater phase (15m / 5 seconds).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swimming and running I would agree. Not so sure about Skiing Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@russ_e, I like to think that I do my bit - the ladies in my house are all miles faster than me on skis!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lara Colturi out fir the season. ACL
snow report
The current leader would be a popular winner! I think the former leader thought he had it in the bag.

Lots of shade on the course, must be very disconcerting.
ski holidays
Well I didn’t foresee that result, and neither did the winner from the look on his face.
latest report
An entertaining race, with half a dozen or so racers in a row out doing each other.
ski holidays
Fun to see Tina Maze back, doing the camera runs.
snow conditions
Jasmine Flury, that was a great combination of technical skiing and bravery. Goggia's aggressive approach came unstuck on this occasion.
latest report
Is Nick Fellows sponsored by Boug St Maurice? He seemed to be bigging it up today.

It also seems to have moved from it's present location to the major town below Courchevel/Meribel? Where's Moutier now?
snow report
Odermatt …. that downhill run was perfection. On carving rails, perfect lines, not a plume of snow anywhere. Unbelievable at those speeds.
snow conditions
@Snow&skifan

Agreed - what a totally brilliant run from Odermatt!
ski holidays
Fellows in outstanding form this morning. Kept calling the Canadian Alexander, Alexandra! I know these are right-on times but..... Very Happy
snow report
LOTA wrote:
Fellows in outstanding form this morning. Kept calling the Canadian Alexander, Alexandra! I know these are right-on times but..... Very Happy

Yesterday's live broadcast was The Fellows Hypes Goggia Show. He spent almost the entire 45 minutes pre race heaping praise on the virtually certain gold medalist, his hero, name dropping her dozens of time. With a footnote, there were other competitors too.

Always unwise in sport.

And so it came to pass.
latest report
@Snow&skifan, well she is hell of a skier and has been nigh unbeatable this season.
snow conditions
ster wrote:
@Snow&skifan, well she is hell of a skier and has been nigh unbeatable this season.

Yes, I follow WC skiing too.

Olympics and World Championships are littered with these results, Leonhard Stock, Bill Johnson.

It was great to see an underdog tear up the Fellows script.
ski holidays
So you wrap up a long standing relationship with your coach. No distraction there.....
You turn out on Thursday and collect World Championship gold medal, is there anything gets in Shiffrin's way?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess when you’ve won that many you must be pretty single minded about it.
snow conditions
Thought it might have been going Brignone's way at one stage, but Shiffrin is just almost unstoppable at times.
snow conditions
So is she now equal to Stenmark in number of wins overall?
ski holidays
@halfhand, one to go...world champs don't count
snow report
@holidayloverxx, really? How odd.
snow conditions
Shiffrin, magical. What’s not to love?

Odermatt and Shiffrin technical poetry in motion. Great to see them both take golds in the pressure cooker of a championships.

Loving these WC’s.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Ahh, right. Only a matter of time then.
snow report
@ster, World Cup is a different competition to world champs, same as Olympics don't count
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, I can see why the Olympics wouldn’t count but I thought the Championship would as its organised by the same organisation as the World Cup, just that one round is called the Championship and is a little bigger than a WCup event (over 100 competitors for the W GS!).
latest report
@ster, the number of competitors is bonkers.
snow report
The thing with the coach is pretty awkward. As I read it, she intended for it to be effective at the end of the season but he bailed immediately. I don't know anything other than it'll be hard for anyone to claim she's underperformed under his tutelage! Also good to see it not tip her over mentally at the Worlds; it could've.
ski holidays
Anyone notice they had live tracking of the timing on the side graphics today. So you could see how they compared all the way down, not just at the splits
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy