Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train to 3 valleys from London

Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible to get to 3 valleys easily from London on train?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-01-23 18:29; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Noob921, welcome to the forum. I don't actually know the answer to your question but if you scroll down this topic you will find other threads on the issue. You are not the only one thinking about this.

I think the consensus is that things aren't the same since Covid, and since the winter 2023 timetables aren't out yet we don't quite know what will appear. There used to be the direct train from St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice, but as you say that is now run by a company which means you can't book it unless you use their accommodation. Otherwise there always used to be trains from Paris Gare du Nord (I know, we've taken one ourselves) but you can't yet see if they are scheduled for next winter. Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Noob921, I think the direct train has stopped and now only part of a package as a company charters a train.

I did the trip last year and the change in Paris is pretty straightforward - the absolute minimum time is about 25 mins but it needs to work perfectly so an hour gap is better. Then depends where you need to go - I went direct to Modane from Paris.

If you need other places, then the change at Chambery is easy as there aren't many platforms. You might find they run Paris to Bourg SM direct

Essentially I found is far less stressful than fly / drive but materially more expensive. If money want in question, then an early evening train from London to Paris, overnight near Gare du Lyon and early train down.

Bit early to book (which is another problem) but trainline is best bet I think.

I would love to avoid flying / driving but the economics make it hard given I do it a few times a year. Frustrates me so much that a flight can be £80 return but train likely to be over £300.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @Noob921, welcome to Snowheads.

Yes, it's easy to get to the 3 valleys from London by train. I did it for the first time last year for the EoSB and found it far more relaxing than flying and transfers. I documented my journey here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160015&highlight=

Basically, in answer to your question, yes there will be direct trains from Paris Gare de Lyon to Moutiers (assuming no massive change from previous years). Changing at Chambery is easy, as it's a really small station.

People seem to get a bit stressed at having to change stations in Paris, but it's really straightforward. It's 2 stops on RER (local train) and takes about 15 minutes. You can buy your ticket on the Eurostar. There's a good guide here:

https://www.seat61.com/changing-stations-in-paris.htm#How%20to%20cross%20Paris%20by%20metro

Two things I learned from planning my journey:

1. Book the Eurostar and the SNCF (French) trains separately.
2. Even for one trip it was worth getting an SNCF railcard ( https://www.sncf-connect.com/app/en-en/catalogue )

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-10-22 20:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Noob921, most winters there are direct trains from Paris to Moutiers. The winter timetable starts in December. They will be from Gare de Lyon, which is a few stops on the RER from the Eurostar arrival at Gare du Nord.

If you are in or close to London you can usually do the whole journey in one day. If not you will probably need to stay Friday night in either London or Paris. The return journey is easier to do in one day (because you gain rather than lose an hour). Your tour operator can probably arrange to pick you up from Moutiers station. If not there are service buses to all resort centres, but you would need to check if they run late enough.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, just booking this journey for a trip to Tignes - schedules aren't out yet (after Dec 10th) but there will be plenty of options with a change in Paris. Its easy to do, more relaxing (in my book) free ski carriage and much better in terms of carbon footprint. Can be more expensive though, so book early. There is a discount card you can buy for SNCF (french rail) which will save 30%+ - easily pay for itself on your first trip, and you only need one card for 1or 2 adults .. .plus some children I think if wanted.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to my son changing stations in Paris is a lot easier than in London. He had to get from St. Pancres to Paddington.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have done train to ski a few times, it works well. Others covered most of it, surely there will be direct trains from Gare de Lyon, it is 2 stops on the metro from Paris Gare du Nord where the Eurostar comes in, allow one hour realistically, not less than 50 mins for sure. Best tip is to buy the Paris metro ticket at the restaurant car of the Eurostar, to save time queuing in Paris, their ticket machines are garbage and they don't have staff in the station usually. And buy extra tickets for coming back.
One other thing this year, there will be a pedestrians and luggage carrying cable car from Orelle to Val Thorens, which possibly makes the transfer better, in that case you would take the train to Modane instead of Moutiers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@daveonhols, tickets for the metro ahead of time is an excellent tip . . . . . On the face of it probably the most minor step in the plan but in practice by far the hardest step !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Noob921, Welcome to snowHeads. You might also check out doing it on an interrail pass - possibly cheaper than booking separate tickets. On the interrail site I can get from Edinburgh to Moutiers in a day but dont know yet if that will apply with the winter timetable.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alti - dude wrote:

Bit early to book (which is another problem) but trainline is best bet I think.

If I was you maybe use trainline to research the trains, but check SNCF before booking as it might well be cheaper than trainline.

Slightly different but i've booked train tickets to Innsbruck from Paris through trainline, and if i'd used OBB (the austrian train company) it would have been cheaper than trainline.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@daveonhols, I hadn't thought about the Orelle ~ VT link as a transport option. I wonder how practical it would be over the zig zag up from Moutier on the bus/Taxi?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It’s been mentioned above but do have a hunt round seat61 where you’re likely to find all the answers you need.

For example:
https://www.seat61.com/France.htm#london-to-the-french-alps-by-train
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowcarbon is also a really good website for travelling to the Alps by train.

Changing in Paris is a bit of a nuisance but the price for the indirect service (changing in paris) always used to be cheaper than the direct train (back in the days when you could buy direct train tickets from Eurostar)

As far as I'm aware you should be able to get a direct train from Paris to Moutiers and then a local bus to resort. The trains probably haven't been released yet.

We have been to the alps many times by train and would highly recommend it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are quite comprehensive bus services from Moutiers and BSM, I think it cost me about €16 to Val d'Isere
latest report
@Noob921, yep Eurostar have managed to give their direct to the Alps service away. It was great. Still, train to Paris Gare du Nord then 2 stops on RER to Gare de Lille and train from there isn't too bad. You can go direct to Moutiers, Aime, and Bourg St Maurice or change at Chambery - depends on which train at which time you book, there are a few options.

There is one other way and that is to get Friday evening Eurostar to Lille, kip in a hotel then get up for the direct Lille to the Alps TGV at about 6.30am on Saturday. Could make for a more relaxed route, with a nice night in Lille (surprisingly nice there) and a much earlier arrival in the Alps to get time to sort things at a more leisurely pace.

Reverse things on way back or mix a combo of the options.
snow conditions
For the OP -i've also travelled to and from the french Ski areas several times and can confirm its definitely a viable route... Stress free when everything goes to plan Smile But not always cheapest (drive) or quickest (fly). But i plan to do it again over feb half-term in 2023. Midlands to the mountains is definitely doable in a day.

Does anyone know when the SNCF tickets actually go on sale? Usually it is around the start of november but I haven't seen an actual date yet.
ski holidays
Quote:

Does anyone know when the SNCF tickets actually go on sale? Usually it is around the start of november but I haven't seen an actual date yet.

Usually 3 months before departure
snow report
I’ve done the journey with ski bag and luggage in tow. This was a few years ago, but I made it to the right platform at the Gare de Lyon with only seconds to spare. I think I had less than an hour to get across from G d N to Gd Lyon, and the metro trains were not that frequent. At G d L I’d actually given up trying to find the right platform as the signage was so bad, and staggered up a staircase in a last ditch attempt to see what was up there, only to spot a platform and train with Bourg St M as the destination. It’s probably easier now as I guess you don’t have to buy a physical metro ticket at G du N, but bear in mind both stations are huge, and were quite confusing to navigate.

In Feb 2020 we ended up on the train back to the U.K. after flights were cancelled cost of the big storm early that month (ahh..how simple life was pre COVID!). We went Moutiers to Lyon, then changed to a TVR to Lille, then the Eurotunnel. That worked really well as it was so easy at Lille.
snow report
It was really sad when they stopped doing the Paris to Bourg St Maurice sleeping cars overnight. It meant you could travel out overnight on the Friday, ski 8 days and then go back on the Saturday night train. As it is you can still ski on the last Saturday and go home on a train which allows you to catch the last Euroster in the evening.
ski holidays
@snowball, the days of the disco car…
snow conditions
@BobinCH,
Quote:

ah, great memories (though some very hazy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ) of the Calais to BSM various T/O's chartered train, stocking up on booze on the outbound ferry to consume in the disco car!!!
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
@BobinCH,
Quote:

ah, great memories (though some very hazy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ) of the Calais to BSM various T/O's chartered train, stocking up on booze on the outbound ferry to consume in the disco car!!!

Certainly did not set you up in great shape for that first morning of skiing!
ski holidays
@ster, no, you are right.
plenty of people with sore heads, slowly picking up hire equipment and lift passes and gently pottering around resort after lunch!!!
latest report
Sounds like Eurostar are about to ramp up prices again. Making train travel appealing but not for the cost conscious who will find driving or flying way cheaper. Real shame.
snow report
Dare I suggest taking a look at www.skiflightfree.org - lots of useful info here. These are all articles on train travel - http://skiflightfree.org/tag/train-travel/

re crossing Paris, I've been told this is helpful

http://youtube.com/v/xdGwK-rK4I4

I've bought my three Eurostar already, but key dates coming up. If you are planning to take the train to the Alps this winter via Paris, then these are the
key dates for your diary for when SNCF connections go on sale:
Wed 05 Oct: For travel from 11 Dec 2022 to 02 Jan 2023
Wed 09 Nov: For travel from 03 Jan to 26 Mar 2023
latest report
@iainm, where did you get those dates from? I thought you could book TGV three months ahead Puzzled
latest report
I'll have to wait till the 9th then.
Looking for a TGV to BSM, hopefully with no need to change trains.
I imagine there will be a morning option
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here is my review of the Travelski express train experience. https://skiflightfree.org/travelski-express-review/

I have travelled for the past 9 years by train to the alps so if you have any questions, fire away.

Tips: Change in Paris is easy. Buy metro tickets in the Cafe Metropol on the Eurostar. Take bungees with you to strap ski bags to racks. Travelski's direct service is great and its worth the extra for premium seats as more space and a little meal.
ski holidays
@Macker13, many thanks. I am forced to get to Paris by flight (CDG or Orly) or to Geneva. Then I would rather take the train from the airport/change in Paris if flying to Franceand get to BSM or Moutiers.
Looking for more or less direct TGV trains, I will have my 2 years old grandson with us.
From past years' experience, do the French keep the same schedule year after year? I want to plan my flights accordingly.
Thanks for the link, I just found this http://skiflightfree.org/new-ouigo-trains-will-link-paris-with-the-alps-this-winter/
BTW, any easy train access towards Avoriaz?
snow conditions
@andy1234, those are the dates the snowcarbon site (http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/blog/winter-dates-for-booking-trains) is giving. I believe the 3 month horizon gets affected by the annual timetable change on 10 Dec.

Interestingly, the SNCF Connect site (https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/) is happily giving me times for Paris-BSM trains in January, although obviously they're not bookable yet. I don't know how reliable those times are though (i.e. whether the timetable is actually finalized yet).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 29-09-22 13:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ShakiraShakira, thanks!
ski holidays
@drporat, there was a direct train from Paris CDG to BSM and Moutiers on a saturday morning, leaving around 10am from CDG, i caught it last December when i had to change my original plans due to covid restrictions, it was about a 4 hour journey.
i assume it will be the same this season, there may have been later trains as well to suit flights etc, but it suited me as i had to arrive in France on the Friday evening before being shut out, though obviously i needed a hotel room by the airport as well.

sorry, i cannot help with regards to train towards avoriaz, though am sure others will be along to advise.
snow conditions
@drporat, believe your options to Avoriaz are Cluses or Thonon les Bains, and from there, you're then looking at a bus.

Depending on how timings work, you might find your best bet is a train to Geneva Airport, then a shared transfer/bus from there, but you'd have to investigate what works best.
snow report
@swskier, @terrygasson, many thanks. Will know more in 10 days time (nov.9) and book accordingly.
I wish and suggest someone will make a sticky post describing train routes to the alps, like @denfinella's table of shared transfer routes.
This is rather old:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156508&highlight=
snow report
Lots of good info here but,
When I came back in April this year catching the train home from Gare du Nord was a total horror story.

The queue through immigration was 2 hours of being herded like cattle into the slaughter house.
absalute murder, It was a tuesday afternoon train, you would not expect it to be that busy ... and surely they must have known how many people to expect.

Has anyone been through there recently?

Good tip for the Metro tickets, you can buy them in packs of ten, and they last a lifetime.
I bought some in 1998 and they were still valid 20 years later. (I didnt go often Smile )
ski holidays
I've found the RailEurope is a better site to book tickets on.
Only so I could adjust the length of time betwwen trains .. I felt the time between arriving at Gare Lyon and then having to rush across town to get to Gare du Nord was just too tight.
I wanted to have a few hours to have a meal in Le Train Bleu...
https://www.le-train-bleu.com/en/

Its so iconic its an absalute must, if only once.

The entrance was a bit hard to find press the bell on a very ordinary looking door on the front under the clock tower and they will ope the door and you can catch the lift up with your luggage.
What3Words:
///helpful.deflate.spine

Cheers!
ski holidays
@iainm mentioned the correct dates a few days ago, I received this email from Pierre & Vacances.
2 more days to wait for the train tickets

snow report
@DrLawn, The German railways timetable engine allows connection times to be massaged. Confusingly it's under "stopover", which to me means a long if not overnight connection...
https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=4357&protocol=https:&seqnr=4&ident=d8.03202457.1664821907&rt=1&OK#focus

Further down the screen, under "types of transport" are boxes that need to be unticked to avoid buses, boats, whatever.
snow conditions
Hi @Nemisis,
I do like the DBahn site as well...
I've used the "Stopover" section before to have longer connections sometimes to make an overnight break in Nuremberg and also so its not such a quick connection.
I nearly missed a connection in Bruxelles once ... you would think that 25 minutes is plenty of time to get off the Eurostar and proceed to the ICE platform.
But no, my wife was on crutches and there was also big security control so they blocked off the lifts.
Just got in the door of the train as it moved off.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy