Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to park in Geneva airport for 10 days in Jan, from peoples experience is it wise to book now, or will it be ok to wait until December, is space a premium ?? Are there any other off-site options |??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can’t you transfer/public down and up? GVA not the cheapest parking!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I did it - admittedly a long time ago - it was cheaper than UK airports. Which is not to say cheap.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've used offsite (in France) parking a few times, usually going through parkvia.com. Not cheap per se, but much less than the official airport parking. Always booked a couple of months in advance.

More recently when we've needed to go away we've used trustedhousesitters.com, mainly due to cat-care requirements, asking for applicants who'll be able to drive us to the airport (in our car and/or with costs paid), much better idea overall.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's the second very positive personal recommendation I've seen/heard for trustedhousesitters in the last few days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, thanks for your help, www.parkvia.com seems to give plenty of options, all offering free cancellation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My free parking space in Geneva has moved back to the UK unfortunately. Looking at 9 days for a smallest Citroen Relay, can see some off site airport parking for £120. But wondering if anyone has experience of parking further away and transferring by public transport? I will only have a small backpack both ways.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skipig, suggestions will depend a bit on where you are travelling from (ie where you are skiing).

Montmelian station has free parking and from there one hop on the train to Chambery, then change for trains to Geneva.

Culoz station likewise has free parking plus a large overflow car park 200m from the station. From there direct trains to Geneva and Lyon cites (then a short ride to either city's airport). Culoz is in the middle of the Lyon-Geneva main line so trains roughly every hour or two.

I have used both options many times without issue but parking is, obviously, at own risk.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bobski62, d'you reckon there's anywhere even further away?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@bobski62, d'you reckon there's anywhere even further away?

Sure... Landry Very Happy

By contrast, if anyone has any suggestions for free parking closer to Geneva - I'm all ears!

Naturally, if you are coming from Chamonix, Megeve, that side of Geneva, then Culoz is rather a dog-leg. From Tarantaise, it works - just.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As far as official car parks go, P26 (or P51) are the most cost-effective and can get full, especially if there is an event on at the Geneva Arena or Palexpo or school holidays, so might be worth booking up, else you might end up in the eye-wateringly expensive P1.

I prefer P26 as the walk to the airport is all or mostly inside depending on what route you take.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bobski62, thanks very much. Coming back from Duex Alpes and then on return down to Serre for the off piste bash, so that looks like a good location.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You're welcome @skipig, but given you are going up and down the Romanche valley, maybe Lyon is a better airport for you? Or would that complicate the UK end of things (if there are no direct flights to a convenient airport)?

If you drove to LYS, the on-site parking is much more reasonable than GVA (but book in advance).

If you preferred to park away from the airport, then Culoz remains an option, but it may be worth considering leaving the car at Vizille, just outside Grenoble. About three trains a day from Vizille to Grenoble. From Grenoble station either a coach every hour (for €12) or a 2 -3 trains each day to the airport - in both cases direct and taking an hour. The Grenoble coach and train stations are right next to each other.

Street View suggests there is free parking at Jarrie-Vizille station but any local intel from other snowheads might be neat so as to corroborate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skipig, I spent a good part of a season travellimg between the UK and Champagny by parking at Culoz and then catching the train to and from Geneva and it worked well. However it was years ago so may well have changed now. More details here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1315103&highlight=geneva+airport&sid=698bcf27c82aa2a2e2ca14d49cb6fc71#1315103
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pleased to make your snowheads acquaintance @skichampcouk, it was your thread as above that convinced me to try the Culoz option last year!
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
As far as official car parks go, P26 (or P51) are the most cost-effective and can get full, especially if there is an event on at the Geneva Arena or Palexpo or school holidays, so might be worth booking up, else you might end up in the eye-wateringly expensive P1.

I prefer P26 as the walk to the airport is all or mostly inside depending on what route you take.

I’ve used P51 at GVA airport a few times in summer and winter and this (or P26) is the less faff option if budget not an issue. There is a free cancellation providing you provide 24 hours notice and costs CH132 for 7 days.
snow conditions
It’s a shame as there used to be a few year ago some enterprising companies who would take your car from you at the short term parking at the airport, store it somewhere offsite and return it to the same place on arrival, all for way less than the official parking.

I expect they got squeezed out by the official parking owners
ski holidays
@Whitters, I think (!) they still exist?
ski holidays
@under a new name, I think it’s all off site and a shuttle bus but happy to be corrected
snow conditions
@Whitters, @under a new name, still there, Easy Park, a very good service. Drop keys in the office outside Arrivals, car waiting for you on return. Only a little more expensive than P1 if memory serves.

Whitters wrote:

We prefer P51 because it's half the distance. Horses for courses.
snow report
@Dr John, "half the distance"? is it? looks about the same to me? (on the map)
ski holidays
@under a new name, without knowing what map you're looking at difficult for me to comment, but from P26 you have to walk through a shopping centre and the train station before getting to departures. Perhaps not exactly half (haven't measured each with a pedometer), but noticeable quicker on foot.
snow conditions
@Dr John, looking here - and I admit I don't think I've ever parked at P26 - seems pretty */- the same-ish https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gen%C3%A8ve+A%C3%A9roport+Parking+P26+longue+dur%C3%A9e/@46.2334075,6.1075417,16z/data=!4m9!1m2!2m1!1sP1+arriv%C3%A9es,+P26!3m5!1s0x478c64887f4a620d:0xb5dba3e0c7d93037!8m2!3d46.235113!4d6.113803!16s%2Fg%2F11cryd6jr7?hl=fr&entry=ttu
latest report
@under a new name, are you very bored?
latest report
The walk to P51 is quicker than P26. P26 is generally cheaper and trickier to drive into. Most people use the shuttle bus for P51 but if conditions allow I'd walk to/from P51 every time.
I have heard Big Park is good but haven't used it. Another thought, depending where you are going, is to jump on the train to Annemasse (approx 20-25 mins and 4.90 Swiss Francs one way) where there is multi-storey parking at the station and way cheaper than GVA.
ski holidays
I have been commuting to the UK from Geneva for years. P51 and P26 are close to the same distance. They are exactly the same price. The walk to P26 is drier and the car park is warmer so better for thawing out/drying the car in winter. In addition a friend of mine was robbed at night in P51 and I know a couple of people who have had their car broken into. Never heard of the same at P26. FWIW
ski holidays
bobski62 wrote:
@skipig, suggestions will depend a bit on where you are travelling from (ie where you are skiing).

Montmelian station has free parking and from there one hop on the train to Chambery, then change for trains to Geneva.

Culoz station likewise has free parking plus a large overflow car park 200m from the station. From there direct trains to Geneva and Lyon cites (then a short ride to either city's airport). Culoz is in the middle of the Lyon-Geneva main line so trains roughly every hour or two.

I have used both options many times without issue but parking is, obviously, at own risk.

If you leave your car more than 7 days on the street or a free car park the French can tow it.
snow report
bobski62 wrote:

If you preferred to park away from the airport, then Culoz remains an option, but it may be worth considering leaving the car at Vizille, just outside Grenoble. About three trains a day from Vizille to Grenoble. From Grenoble station either a coach every hour (for €12) or a 2 -3 trains each day to the airport - in both cases direct and taking an hour. The Grenoble coach and train stations are right next to each other.

Street View suggests there is free parking at Jarrie-Vizille station but any local intel from other snowheads might be neat so as to corroborate.

There is no train station in Vizille, or even a railway line. If that helps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
bobski62 wrote:

If you leave your car more than 7 days on the street or a free car park the French can tow it.

I thought that was only where there are 7 day max signs?
ski holidays
Hi @davidof, thanks for the info about 7 days - I did not know that. Will be useful to find out in due course if that is a blanket rule or as @Canuck suggests, only where there are explicit signs. I generally only go for a few days at a time, so hopefully will find the car still there on return (!) but something for @skipig to bear in mind.

Here are some links to help you find the station. It is just past the edge of Vizille and called Jarrie-Vizille. You may need to copy and paste the entire link. Or just open Google / Google Maps and search for Gare SNCF Jarrie-Vizille. I have used the station on a few occasions so can testify that it is physically there!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gare+de+Jarrie+-+Vizille/@45.0840124,5.7325545,15.5z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x478a8a28b479f9f7:0x3618f7a606a023d2!8m2!3d45.0854189!4d5.7425098!16s%2Fg%2F121b6w5c?entry=ttu

And here is the timetable:

https://www.sncf.com/fr/gares/jarrie-vizille/OCE87747535/departs-arrivees/gl/departs

Thanks @ian999, I had a look at Annemasse and that may work well for many people. 123€ for a one-month pass in covered parking; I think 43€ for a one-month open-air voirie street permit. Would welcome a second pair of eyes, but it look like trains every 10 minutes to/from Geneva, running right through the night with a reduced frequency.
snow conditions
Canuck wrote:
davidof wrote:
bobski62 wrote:

I thought that was only where there are 7 day max signs?

No it is a blanket rule but you would be unlucky to get towed on the 8th day, as with any rule in France.
snow report
bobski62 wrote:
Hi @davidof, thanks for the info about 7 days - I did not know that. Will be useful to find out in due course if that is a blanket rule or as @Canuck suggests, only where there are explicit signs. I generally only go for a few days at a time, so hopefully will find the car still there on return (!) but something for @skipig to bear in mind.

Here are some links to help you find the station. It is just past the edge of Vizille and called Jarrie-Vizille. You may need to copy and paste the entire link. Or just open Google / Google Maps and search for Gare SNCF Jarrie-Vizille. I have used the station on a few occasions so can testify that it is physically there!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gare+de+Jarrie+-+Vizille/@45.0840124,5.7325545,15.5z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x478a8a28b479f9f7:0x3618f7a606a023d2!8m2!3d45.0854189!4d5.7425098!16s%2Fg%2F121b6w5c?entry=ttu

And here is the timetable:

https://www.sncf.com/fr/gares/jarrie-vizille/OCE87747535/departs-arrivees/gl/departs

Thanks @ian999, I had a look at Annemasse and that may work well for many people. 123€ for a one-month pass in covered parking; I think 43€ for a one-month open-air voirie street permit. Would welcome a second pair of eyes, but it look like trains every 10 minutes to/from Geneva, running right through the night with a reduced frequency.

ok you mean Jarrie / Champ sur Drac, it is not Vizille, obviously SNCF marketing. It is on the line to Gap. I wouldn't leave my car overnight in Jarrie, tbh. YMMV.
snow conditions
Quote:

I wouldn't leave my car overnight in Jarrie, tbh. YMMV.

Indeed, it's a concern at any open-air free parking! Though by no means guaranteed, there is greater peace of mind using a secure airport car park. When I was travelling back and forth more regularly I preferred a season pass at Lyon's P4 for that reason, amongst others.
snow report
@pam w, When used to do it, also a long time ago...
I just used to sneak out by following the car in front through the barrier. Toofy Grin
Zurich & GVA
I don't think I could get away with that now. snowHead
latest report
Had a quick google, and indeed, leaving your car in public parking beyond the (legal) limit of 7 days is considered an abuse and does risk a fine or it being impounded. So many thanks to @davidof for pointing this out. I've only ever had to exceed 7 days once, but had extenuating circumstances - lock down!

Quelle est la durée limite de stationnement d’une voiture?

Un délai de 7 jours au même endroit

De façon générale, dès qu’une voiture occupe une place de façon ininterrompue au-delà de la durée légale de 7 jours, le stationnement est considéré comme abusif. Dans certaines villes, cette durée peut être réduite à 24 heures par arrêté municipal. À la clé : une amende de 35 €, pouvant être majorée à 75 €, et une possible mise en fourrière, si le stationnement persiste.

https://www.lelynx.fr/assurance-auto/infractions-code-de-la-route/stationnement/#:~:text=Un%20d%C3%A9lai%20de%207%20jours,24%20heures%20par%20arr%C3%AAt%C3%A9%20municipal.
snow report
bobski62 wrote:
Had a quick google, and indeed, leaving your car in public parking beyond the (legal) limit of 7 days is considered an abuse and does risk a fine or it being impounded. So many thanks to @davidof for pointing this out. I've only ever had to exceed 7 days once, but had extenuating circumstances - lock down!

in general you can leave your car longer without too much risk - until a busy body notices. Culoz may be okay but in somewhere like downtown Grenoble it may get stripped bare or burnt out before it is impounded.

A friend of mine left his car on the road in Lyon and it was gone when he got back from 2 weeks holiday - but the road had also been resurfaced so that explains why.
latest report
@zzz, yes I agree 100%.

I also used to sometimes park at P51 and take the shuttle bus but they started checking to make sure you had hired a car, which I hadn't, so it meant for a walk with heavy luggage in heavy rain so haven't done it since.
snow report
For those who are unfamiliar, here is the walking route we use between P51 and the car rental desks.

ski holidays
@LaForet, yep often quicker than waiting for the bus.

You can make a judgement call depending on how many people are waiting at the bus stop - if there aren't many, you've probably just missed one wink
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
@zzz, yes I agree 100%.

I also used to sometimes park at P51 and take the shuttle bus but they started checking to make sure you had hired a car, which I hadn't, so it meant for a walk with heavy luggage in heavy rain so haven't done it since.

Oh really? I've not been checked before, so guess I've just been very fortunate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy