Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To go or not to go that is the question

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about booking a few days at end of feb beginning March for the Ski Welt, tirol Austria. Have heard snow's been bit sparse in the alps this season so far. Bit worried about there being no snow when I get there so hesitating with pressing the book button.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 15-01-23 12:50; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied a bit over xmas/new year at the skiwelt. Skied down to the valley floor every day regardless of what the papers say pistes were all fully open and in fun condition. There more snow fell now so will be even better
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mother hucker wrote:
I skied a bit over xmas/new year at the skiwelt. Skied down to the valley floor every day regardless of what the papers say pistes were all fully open and in fun condition. There more snow fell now so will be even better
Thanks, good to know
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads of snow in Norway - there last week. They are having a great season and late Feb/March best time as getting lighter. Bergen/Voss has some great deals with Scandic hotel/lift pass/B&B special. Two of you in a double or twin and you are looking at £60 each only including ski pass...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bendiddley, little point trying to predict the conditions 6 weeks out.

To quote a famous ski film maker: “If you don’t go this year, you will be another year older when you do!”.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bendiddley, There will be snow. Go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bendiddley, if you go there will be trouble. If you stay it will be double. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't understand the question?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WASHOUT, me neither. The answer is always “book”.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timmycb5, I disagree, if you need to ask that question then I suggest you give up skiing and leave the snow for the rest of us! snowHead Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's no snow in the alps, don't bother....

20230114-102312

(Taken yesterday)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gixxerniknik, agreed snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bendiddley, I can entirely understand why, if you're only going to have one holiday, you want to choose a good time for snow. But the end of February is a lifetime away in snow terms, and what's happening now is irrelevant to what's going to be happening then. It could be much better, or much worse. It's always good to book last minute if you can, with better knowledge of which part of the Alps is doing best for snow. But that's not always practical. But end Feb/early March is about optimal, for snow in most parts. Not good in France from the point of view of crowds/school holidays, but the considerations are different in Austria. Just make sure you avoid the carnival/Fasching times.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go. Anywhere regardless of snow coverage is better than this sinking ship of a country (assuming you are in the UK)..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Fridge03, Chin up snowHead
snow report
If there is no snow end of Feb beginning of March we can all just pack up now. That is peak snow time. Even if it doesn't fall from the sky the cannons will make enough.
ski holidays
Quote:

If there is no snow end of Feb beginning of March we can all just pack up now

There will be snow, but some places might be much better than others. Maybe book a cheap flight (but don't add baggage at this stage) and be flexible about where to go, and how to get there. People on this Forum often trot out the hoary old "a bad day on the mountain is better than a day in the office". That is true. But you have to spend loads of days in the office anyway, and anything you can do to optimise your chances of GOOD days on the mountain, including waiting to book, is worth doing. Most people only have one or two shots expensive holidays a year and choosing the optimum time and place can be difficult.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
@Fridge03, Chin up snowHead

I ain’t wrong tho Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Maybe book a cheap flight (but don't add baggage at this stage) and be flexible about where to go, and how to get there.

Just done exactly this for a long weekend at the end of April. Yes I know the season so far has been less than stellar but no reason why it can’t change. £80 for two flights to Geneva and currently thinking La Plagne or Val Thorens. Worst case we’ll do a long weekend in Annecy.
ski holidays
bigtuboflard wrote:
Quote:

Maybe book a cheap flight (but don't add baggage at this stage) and be flexible about where to go, and how to get there.

Just done exactly this for a long weekend at the end of April. Yes I know the season so far has been less than stellar but no reason why it can’t change. £80 for two flights to Geneva and currently thinking La Plagne or Val Thorens. Worst case we’ll do a long weekend in Annecy.

Ehhh? Val Thorens will be open until 8th of May!

You won't need to plan a weekend in Annecy wink
ski holidays
Just go, Rule5
latest report
@bendiddley, you only live once. What else would you do that week?
snow report
@bendiddley, If I was going for one week only and playing the odds I'd choose early March as, on average, snow depth will have built up by then but it should still be cool enough to preserve it. Also the days have lengthened and it probably won't be as freezing cold as it can be in January. So, go for it! I certainly would.
latest report
Gordyjh wrote:
Just go, Rule5
If in doubt, ALWAYS follow the rules.
snow report
wiigman wrote:
Loads of snow in Norway - there last week. They are having a great season and late Feb/March best time as getting lighter. Bergen/Voss has some great deals with Scandic hotel/lift pass/B&B special. Two of you in a double or twin and you are looking at £60 each only including ski pass...

My girlfriend and I are looking for somewhere to go on holiday late Feb, but she doesn't ski or board. I suggested somewhere I could do a day (or two) and spend the rest of the time together.

Would you recommend that for us or was there very little else to do other than on the slopes? And who did you book your package through or was it DIY?

Thanks in advance Smile

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 18-01-23 18:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:

My girlfriend and I are looking for somewhere to go on holiday late Feb, but she doesn't ski or board. I suggested somewhere I could do a day (or two) and spend the rest of the time together.

Would you recommend

I would suggest one of the following:

i. give up skiing
ii. go skiing on your own with some mates
iii. change your girlfriend

This is serious advice.
snow report
@davidof, is probably right. If you and this girl are really serious, option (ii) is the obvious answer. And if her idea of a perfect holiday is something you couldn't contemplate, move on to (iii).
ski holidays
Whilst I thought I wanted to meet someone who skied or boarded, 6 years 4 months later, I'm very happy to be with the right person for me who happens to do neither.

Whilst trying to plan a holiday for the both of us in late Feb, and with both of us somewhat underwhelmed with the winter sun options, the idea came up of somewhere snowy where I might spend no more than a day or two enjoying my hobby and the rest of the time with her.

Hence my question to @wiigman as to whether Bergen / Voss offered enough for those interested in a holiday without the entire focus being on winter sports.

But thanks for the relationship advice anyway @davidof and @pam w wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jebroni3_16, What about going somewhere very picturesque, with lots of gentle skiing and staying in a nice hotel....and then get a really good instructor to encourage your Girlfriend to give it a go. Somewhere in the Dolomites would do the trick.

The emphasis is on relaxed enjoyment, with lots of chocolate stops and pleasant lunch stops/apres ski, while experiencing being in the mountains.

See it as investment in a possible skiing future.
latest report
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Whilst I thought I wanted to meet someone who skied or boarded, 6 years 4 months later, I'm very happy to be with the right person for me who happens to do neither.

Whilst trying to plan a holiday for the both of us in late Feb, and with both of us somewhat underwhelmed with the winter sun options, the idea came up of somewhere snowy where I might spend no more than a day or two enjoying my hobby and the rest of the time with her.

Hence my question to @wiigman as to whether Bergen / Voss offered enough for those interested in a holiday without the entire focus being on winter sports.

But thanks for the relationship advice anyway @davidof and @pam w wink

Levi in Finland could work. Loads of other stuff to do, dog sledding, reindeer Safari, rent a car and drive to the ice hotel, hell stay a night too. Rent a cabin with it's own sauna, which all of them have and enjoy the heat. Northern lights hunting, walking on the frozen lake, snow mobiles, fat bike rental. And winter wonderland scenery, but it can be a little cold.
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16,
Quote:

For a number of reasons my wife is enthusiastically anti-snowsports. She has tried but it is now a nailed on no, as in never..so we have the same dilemma. This year we are off to Gastein as there seems to be a lot to do for the piste averse. You could ski every morning, meet for lunch (cheap pedestrians pass for mountain restaurants) and spend the rest of the day doing whatever it is you want to do together. It's also on a main train route so day trips are possible.

Good luck!
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, a trip to Barcelona with a few days in Andorra might be a good plan. Andorra itself has plenty going on for the non skier but bookending it with a trip to Barcelona just adds that little bit more to the trip. Plus, if you’re in Barcelona for some of the trip you won’t be jealous because you won’t see everyone coming back from a day on the slopes!
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, Or similar to the suggestion from hammerite, how about Innsbruck?
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@jebroni3_16, Or similar to the suggestion from hammerite, how about Innsbruck?
or Salzburg, Munich, Geneva… (no idea what there is to do in Geneva but it’s a big place).
snow report
@hammerite, I gather you can ski easily from Innsbruck, I suppose you may be able to get to Monts Jura or La Faucille from Geneva by bus but I think it will take longer.
snow report
My better half does ski but came to it relatively late (late 40’s), so we tend to combine a ski trip with a city break. Most recently we did La Plagne and then a stop in Annecy for a few days on the way back to the airport. You could possibly even use Annecy as a base and ski La Clusaz although it would mean a drive every morning. Annecy is spring is fantastic though.
snow conditions
@bendiddley, Don’t worry. Winter has finally arrived in Ski Welt. It is -10 this morning. It has been snowing for 2 days and forecast to snow for the foreseeable future and stay very cold. Even without the weather Ski Welt has prodigious amounts of snow making. I think they can lay down over 200 km of artificial pistes! If miles of piste cruising with lots of mountain huts to eat and drink is you thing then you will have a great time.
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:
wiigman wrote:

Would you recommend that for us or was there very little else to do other than on the slopes? And who did you book your package through or was it DIY?

Thanks in advance Smile

Unless your girlfriend is really dirty bin her off - 5 days skiing and one with her is far more fitting
snow report
@Yellow Snow, Laughing

@jebroni3_16, How can winter sun options underwhelm you? That's pretty much the whole of the bottom half of the world..?? Personally, I'd not bother trying to go skiing and just spend the time with the missus, less stress in trying to cram in the skiing and no guilt with leaving her to some dull days alone. Time together would be lovely I'm sure. Then find some mates to do a long weekend with if the budget and holiday allowance stretches that far...
ski holidays
wiigman wrote:

Got a linky? I'm constantly on the lookout for accom + lift pass deals, as it's always the best way to reduce the overall cost of a holiday.

Finding a dirt cheap flight is overrated, compared to saving money on a lift pass.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy