Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2022 -2023

Poster: A snowHead
It’s September and with the first ground frost it’s time to start this seasons thread snowHead

Last season kicked off with Storm Arwen and skiing in November but not a lot after that either in the Pennines or Lake District. A shame given how good the lock down winter the year before would have been.

As always plenty has been going on up in the hills during the summer. At Yad Moss we have been replacing snow fencing at the queuing area and have more to do but it’s all going well. Weardale have continued their refurbishment works to their F1 tow which is looking really good and the LDSC have been super active refurbishing their bull wheel, their electrics and preparing to operate their electric portable tow which greatly extends their skiing options below the hut in favourable conditions.
Season tickets are now on sale at Yad Moss priced at £55 for new adults, £10 for juniors (accompanied by an adult), £40 for retuning members and free to those who have completed three work parties this summer snowHead Yad Moss also have a reciprocal arrangement with the Allenheads ski club. Arrangements with the other clubs will be more limited and are yet to be confirmed. Day tickets at (£20) will normally be available at Yad Moss from the ticket office on the hill ( cash only) unless a busy day is expected.

Season tickets are also now on sale to retuning members at Weardale and shortly no doubt at the Lake District ski club although there is a waiting list for new members there I believe.

Let’s hope for a reasonable season across our hills with lots of great local skiing Cool

Yad Moss Ski Club, North Pennines
http://yadmoss.co.uk/
Allenheads Ski Club, North Pennines http://ski-allenheads.co.uk/
Lake District Ski Club, Helvellyn Massif http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/
Weardale Ski Club, North Pennines http://www.skiweardale.com
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's to some November skiing Peter S

How many days did Yad Moss get last season?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only 3 days last year, our second lowest ever Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Let’s hope for some great skiing this season. I think last winter the ground never froze over enough so a good base didn’t establish itself. Hopefully this winter we get some very cold conditions early in and a base built up to provide foundations for some great tunes when the better snow arrives.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rick, let’s hope for that. Unfortunately It’s quite rare for a skiable base to build up even at height in the North Pennines. For that to happen as you say we need a cold prolonged and unsettled spell with the freezing level continuously at or below 2000 feet.
Last year one of the skiable days in April started well but then unusually the snow melted from the bottom up presumably because the ground was still warm from the week before. We had some good skiing up until about 2:30pm snowHead

These days we mostly ski on fresh snow or the remains of old snow. Fortunately we don’t need much depth and Pennine snowy- grass skis almost as well as snowy-snow. The grass poking through even helps skiing visibility in the low cloud ……and reduces avalanche risk Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good luck Peter for the forthcoming season Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is the metoffice summary for November through till the end of January. They are predicting slightly cooler, drier and less windy weather which could mean pre Christmas turns again. Fingers crossed snowHead

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/business/public-sector/civil-contingency/3moutlook-ndj-v1.pdf
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chance of some whiteness on the webcams over the weekend??

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Peter S,

"Season tickets are also now on sale to returning members at Weardale and shortly no doubt at the Lake District ski club although there is a waiting list for new members there I believe. "

I'm afraid the LDSC has a waiting list of more than 500 Peter... Shocked We offered memberships to the first 50 on the list recently and around 25 took up the offer. So more like 250 then in reality... Our membership secretary Paul has/is just about to mail out membership cards and car passes.

We'll be open to non-members most of the time* at twenty quid a day. Park on the "D" in Glenridding (it's free - details on our website) and hitch a lift up the Greenside track with a member.

BTW, I know you've seen it, but for others there is this recently-completed history of the club, which dates back to 1936. Members built the first permanent tow in the UK (no, it wasn't in Glencoe... snowHead ) https://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/history

(*ie: not sunny Sundays...)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great stuff Sweeny. You’ve told the story well. I remember using the rope tow circa 1977 and ended the day in the Cumberland Infirmary having bitten through my tongue in a fall.
If you know where to look there is still an original Frank Keiser self propelled ski tow, up on the Moor at ‘the other place’. Also did you know that Frank Keiser’s father was Kaiser Wilhelm’s Chauffeur Shocked

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=140&t=1845695

I remember using a snow blower to try to dig out the tow track but it wasn’t very effective in the frozen snow and eventually the motor seized. Someone hadn’t filled up the oil! I think Bernie then hit on the idea of using a blunt chainsaw to cut out blocks and that worked well.

Some great pics there. I even appear on one. Not saying which Laughing
Happy memories and here’s to another 86 years of skiing up at Raise Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Peter. I knew about the old tow and the chainsaw but not about Keiser Senior's Kaiser job! Must include them in the story. BTW, I see it's beginning to look promising for early next week...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow showers off the North Sea reaching the Pennines from Saturday onwards. The temperature may be a little marginal but the possibility of some accumulation on the higher tops into next week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow already in the Peak District.

Just about enough for a 5 second run Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow line dropped to 180 meters here in the White Peak so we got around a 1cm dusting on lower ground and seems about the same higher up.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Popped up to Weardale today as the webcams looked white(ish!). A beautiful day to be out in the hills - but conditions best described as marginal.

Managed some decent turns higher up but the big grassy tufts lower down made things rather challenging . The road at the parking had quite nice snow though Laughing

snow report
MA, we ran the tow at YM on Sunday had some runs, got the piste basher out but we only have an inch of snow. Saturday or Sunday May be a possibility.
snow conditions
@Peter S, Peter I linked to you on the Scotland thread asking what you have just stated above.
I was out walking on Sunday morning just above where we live in St Asaph N Wales. We were all amazed at the depth of snow. At an elevation of 150m we had 8" of snow. Quite how we got to this depth is beyond me as we only had 3 or 4 heavy showers of limited duration. Quite remarkable.
latest report
Quote:
At an elevation of 150m we had 8" of snow. Quite how we got to this depth is beyond me as we only had 3 or 4 heavy showers of limited duration. Quite remarkable.

Sounds great @Rogerdodger Very Happy No local hills suitable for a slide?
ski holidays
Yes we have a few spots where we can put the skins on and go for a small climb. Sunday however was a complete surprise regarding the depth. Any grassy meadows would have been skiable with the depth.@mountainaddict,
snow conditions
Hoping for a few decent showers tonight so that we can run tomorrow at Yad Moss. Will call it in the morning once we’ve had a look……At least the grass will be frozen Laughing
Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
9 inches of snow in Wensleydale but the main band missed the North Pennines so still not quite enough at any of the clubs in the lakes or Pennines so far. Forecast tomorrow isn’t great.
snow report
**Breaking News** Northern Powderhouse ski locations expanded to include Roseberry Topping on the North York Moors wink We were walking up there yesterday and returned today after identifying a nice ski slope.

Great fun after a 25 min walk up from the car park at the bottom. Lovely snow conditions Very Happy Only a couple of inches but on a nice, smooth, grassy slope. Good to know that it doesn't need much snow - we'll be back!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 17-12-22 20:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Fantastic, @mountainaddict!

Chapeau! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
Superb effort mr and Mrs MA. There needs to be an award for most motivated/ keenest skiing couple Laughing

Having another go up at Yad Moss Tomorrow. We didn’t think there was enough snow today but apparently there is, just about. Tomorrow looks challenging indeed and we may need to retreat quickly after lunch, so definitely a day for connoisseurs Laughing
snow report
Quote:
There needs to be an award for most motivated/ keenest skiing couple
Cheers @Bergmeister and @Peter S - I'd best start work on my acceptance speech Laughing
snow report
Yad Moss was open today Very Happy

- Thin cover but lovely fast, dry, snow.
- Good where pisted (compliments to the piste basher driver).
- Bitter cold and strong tail wind blowing down the slope.
- Good fun Very Happy

snow conditions
That piste looks a bit crowded@mountainaddict, ....... Laughing
latest report
Quote:
That piste looks a bit crowded@mountainaddict...
I think the snow report on the website must have deterred people - there was a max of 10-15 people there today Very Happy We were straight on the lift every time.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great to ski again with you MA and thanks for the pressie !

Yes a poor forecast but it didnt turn out too bad. The south easterly is a good direction at Yad Moss blowing across and down the hill. visibility remained OK. Could have done with a bit more snow but good to test the tow. As we left freezing rain was falling and the roads had black ice on them down as far as Alston and Harwood Shock
snow report
Cheers @Peter S
snow report
Traditional start to the season at Yad, stubbly but skiable. Faster than the sign suggests; definitely better where mown and or pisted (flattened) and a bit of combat through the tussocks.

Good to be out and about for another year and catch up with PeterS and mountainaddict.

ski holidays
Nice to see you too @skier_of_teesdale. Next stop Glencoe?? Very Happy
snow conditions
Mountainaddict I think so.
snow report
https://www.northpennines.org.uk/blog-snow-days-in-the-north-pennines/
latest report
Looks like Weardale got more snow than Yad and has opened today, reports from Twitter yesterday:

80mm of freshies, grass base not frozen so if it warms will go to mush!

Marginal conditions-Tows will run from 0930 tomorrow but may close by 1pm unless better than expected. (it might snow overnight) Road will be icy
snow conditions
https://yadmoss.co.uk/opening-times/

Yad moss open tomorrow Tuesday
latest report
Quote:
Yad moss open tomorrow Tuesday
And Weardale too! Very Happy (But for members only, as usual.)

"Both F1 + F2 tows ran on Monday. All the runs on F1 were good and F2 skiable but more challenging.

We plan to run the tows tomorrow from about 10am and expect to close around 2pm (perhaps 3pm if it is good). I suspect tomorrow will be the last day until we get more snow.
"
snow report
Live report from Weardale: Cover marginal in places but good fun and always nice to ski home snow Very Happy Bitter cold though.

snow conditions
Weardale is open again tomorrow (members only) Very Happy Good on them and hats off to the volunteer tow operators.

Another good day was had by 25+ members today, The cold weather (-5c) has retained the snow cover which although thin is still very skiable especially on F1. It seems a shame to waste the snow so we are planning to run the tows again tomorrow from 10am.
snow report
After amazingly skiing on 7 days out of the last 8 at Weardale, the snow is now gone from the North Pennines.

Fingers crossed for more snow soon! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy