Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbühel>Dolomites>Mayrhofen questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Its all booked; hope there's snow and power. Thanks in advance:

1. Is the route from Kitzbühel to the Dolomites via Lienz closed or gnarly in mid-late March? The Brenner Pass route is nothing to write home about, and the distance is nearly the same. Guessing that tunnel takes a lot of the teeth out of that drive, but dunno.

2. Any restaurants worth recommending in Jochberg?

3. After the Dollies its back to AUT for Mayrhofen and its really the same question about route. (I chose Mayrhofen so I could ski Tux since I took plenty of elevation/snowmaking risk with the first two destinations...)

4. Is the "Glacier Circuit" their version of the Sella Ronda, with its plusses and minuses?

5.The Ahorn area seems not worth an expert's time except maybe the valley run. Late March, I know what the snow will be like. Worth a trip or not?

6. Decided to stay in Tux-Lanersbach at the Tuxertal as I perceived it as quiet but still ok location. How'd I do?

7. Except for glacier days, my plan is to walk to the Eggalm lift and work my way over to Penken and then back. Better plan?

8. If conditions at Kitzbühel are meh, is it worth a day trip over to Saalbach (or?) for something different, or is it really different? Guessing the conditions would be much the same, but maybe S has a vibe worth checking out for a day, or better vis? I don't mind pivoting to variety when conditions suggest it.

thanks/cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 - There's a decent Steak place just outside Jochberg on the way towards Kitzbuhel, it's a long ish walk or a v short drive. A few years back I ate at the Schwarzer Adler (?), It was great but do remember to book. The umbrella bar at the gondola station is decent for a beer. The Spar is well stocked.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have Asado's steakhouse on the outskirts of Kirchberg, excellent restaurant.
We were in Kitz early March 2019, skied the local area plus SkiWelt and then we took a day's trip to Saalbach.
Basically it' reaches the same altitude, you can always check on an interactive map what will be open that late in the season and decide if it's worth the drive
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Felbertauern Tunnel should be no issue except in some crazy "snowmaggedon" event but if that's the case the roads everywhere will be an issue. Can see it would make sense if starting in Kitzbühel but would have thought the Brenner better for the Zillertal. In my experience conditions in the higher elevations at Kitzbühel are likely to be better than S-H though for the hills directly above the town it will be pretty much the same. If you have a car and are around for a few days it is definitely worth the trip to Fieberbrunn. The area between Fieberbrunn & S-H is interesting (part of it used by the freeride World Tour), the north facing slopes above the Glemmtal too (though a bit of a schlepp from Fieberbrunn). The Glemmtal south facing slopes and the local Fieberbrunn slopes are pretty standard Tirolean / Salzburgerland skiing much the same as Kitz, SkiWelt etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
4. The Glacier Circuit is not a circuit - it involves a bus transfer, and isn't anything more than a marketing ploy. Unlike the Saalbach circuit, it's a bit contrived. Still, it would force you to cover the upper half of the valley, if that's your thing - https://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/skiing/hintertux-glacier/glacier-circuit/

5. The Ahorn is definitely worth 2-3 runs top to bottom first thing in the morning, then head for Penken.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ousekjarr wrote:
4. The Glacier Circuit is not a circuit - it involves a bus transfer, and isn't anything more than a marketing ploy. Unlike the Saalbach circuit, it's a bit contrived. Still, it would force you to cover the upper half of the valley, if that's your thing - https://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/skiing/hintertux-glacier/glacier-circuit/

Indeed the zillertal arena tour is a far better option
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, helpful as usual.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
6. Lanersbach is OK, quiet but still has some life though at the end of March they will be winding down. Reasonable bus link to Tux, less so to Mayrhofen as you'll be dependent on the Postbus. The Eggalm sector is a bit meh for me, limited variety, too low at the top, and very much too low at the bottom except in the main part of the season. I was there in early April 2022 ( https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160185 ) and we decided to give the run to Eggalm a go, but quickly abandoned that idea as it had mostly been in the sun all day, so we took the run towards Rastkogel to get back towards Penken. It was OK until the last 500m, and then it was carnage.

If you have to take the lift up Eggalm and ski to Rastkogel each day to reach Penken, you may be lucky and find this a nice start to the day. Or you may decide to walk the 1.5Km direct to the Rastkogel lift instead.

8. Kitzbuhel conditions will be variable in March - the Pass Thurn end will likely be OK, but the rest could be pretty slushy, and the valley runs are likely best avoided even if they are open. If you are looking for an alternative, the north-facing slopes in the Skiwelt might be better but they'll still have similar conditions at the bottom, while further away Fieberbrunn (or more likely Leogang) can offer similar but slightly higher. If everything is against you, Kaprun is probably about an hour away by car over Pass Thurn.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like a fun trip!

FWIW, I would say if snow is meh in Kitz you might consider driving to the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier which is under an hour's drive away and usually has great snow condition.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @Scooter in Seattle,
Great that you'll be coming over here this winter.
I hope you have a great time and great conditions.

I can't answer all your questions but here goes:
2) Jochberg is only a couple of houses and a hotel as far as I can remember (its many years since I enjoyed skiing up there.)
I don't know if you are hiring a car ... but it sounds like it...
Its a short drive from Jochberg to Kaprun which has a pretty intesting Glacier and is right by Zell am See.
If the snow is in short supply by mid March nip through to Kaprun .. But the snow should be good still.
Kitzbuhel is a great place to ski and party huge area interlinked though to the Soll area .. vast.

6) Lanserbach .. great idea.

5) the Ahorn will take you 30 minutes to do it all, only go there if the main lifts are too busy.

3) The Dolimites are a must .. best go via the Brenner
Mayerhofen itself is nothing special but skiing along the valley in all those villages would be great.
The Hintertux glacier is nothing spectacular unless there is a snow drought, then I consider it the best glacier in Austria, but its still only a glacier.

You are going to have a great time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
8. Yes. I skied Kitzbuhel and Skiwelt early March 2022, snow was not very good. Spent one day at Saalbach, snow was not great but a lot better. And Saalbach has great views and an excellent lift system.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
5) The white lounge on the Ahorn is a cool igloo bar, worth a visit then doing the run back into town. Not much worth staying up high on the Ahorn too long IMO unless you’re a beginner.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. Is the route from Kitzbühel to the Dolomites via Lienz closed or gnarly in mid-late March? The Brenner Pass route is nothing to write home about, and the distance is nearly the same. Guessing that tunnel takes a lot of the teeth out of that drive, but dunno. ------NOPE...if you mean through the Felbertauern Tunnel etc nope. If this route is close because of snow in March then will be the Winter of the century. Heading to Dolomiten you could make a quick ski pause for a couple of hours in Sillian....a honest (relative small) ski resort, which is usually almost empty. Espacially in March

2. Any restaurants worth recommending in Jochberg? (NO IDEA sorry)
-----
3. After the Dollies its back to AUT for Mayrhofen and its really the same question about route. (I chose Mayrhofen so I could ski Tux since I took plenty of elevation/snowmaking risk with the first two destinations...) -----SEE ABOVE....

4. Is the "Glacier Circuit" their version of the Sella Ronda, with its plusses and minuses? ------NOPE....it is not e circuit as the Sella Ronda. You can go from Zillertal3000 to Glacier etc but not something like Sella Ronda.

5.The Ahorn area seems not worth an expert's time except maybe the valley run. Late March, I know what the snow will be like. Worth a trip or not? -------Maybe if the valley run is open. And the igloo bar.

6. Decided to stay in Tux-Lanersbach at the Tuxertal as I perceived it as quiet but still ok location. How'd I do?
------ Relative nice . Without a car a little bit tricky but not a big problem at all

7. Except for glacier days, my plan is to walk to the Eggalm lift and work my way over to Penken and then back. Better plan? ---- see below the PS

8. If conditions at Kitzbühel are meh, is it worth a day trip over to Saalbach (or?) for something different, or is it really different? Guessing the conditions would be much the same, but maybe S has a vibe worth checking out for a day, or better vis? I don't mind pivoting to variety when conditions suggest it.

------- I think saalbach is better than Kitz.
Kitz have many slopes that are more ski wegs than slopes (really narrow)
If the snow conditions are gut, then Saalbach worths a day. There you could make a circuit as sella ronda. you can also go from fieberbrunn nach saalbach but check out the closing hours from the connection lift. Personally i find Saalbach as the best ski resort in AUT for 1.000 till 2.000 m. elevation (meaning Ischlg is another liga)
REally gut artificial snow, wide slopes, extended in a valley (you can make a circle run, finishing where you start). But in March is a little bit tricky. Maybe the south orientierd slopes will be crap, or perfect...(corn snow)

PS
i dont know if its worth a day in Zillertal arena. From Zell am Ziller till Gerlospass, Königsleiten etc
for me the best ski resort in Zillertal
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Continued thanks people. I'll have a car so bouncing around is easy. Good to know there is a Spar in Jochberg. As long as I get my paprika crisps nobody gets hurt!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
The white lounge on the Ahorn is a cool igloo bar, worth a visit then doing the run back into town
They also have a mini ice hotel there, which is great. I booked a night there for Mrs MA'S birthday three years ago. The rooms are lovely, as is the bar.

The evening is filled with a meal in a nice warm mountain restaurant, sledging and a walk with burning torches to a campfire to roast marshmallows. We both loved it and were nice and warm overnight in the thick sleeping bags that were supplied.

And yes, the top to bottom run is a great (quite steep in places) blast back down to the valley.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy