Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux or stubai

Poster: A snowHead
I am visiting for the weekend, April 19th to 22nd. I consider myself an advanced snowboarder having rode in north America. Currently in innsbruck, which glacier would be best to go - hintertux or stubai at this time of the year. Since I am going solo, wanted to make sure I am going to the one which has some activities and things to do in the evenings, and would want to check out the apres ski areas as well. Any suggestions or recommendations would be immensely helpful Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kartheek14, i'll be skiing Hintertux tomorrow and Saturday as I live in the Zillertal. I'm not sure what activities you're after but it'll be quiet. We're in the interseason now as all resorts along the valley are shut except for Hintertux. There's 2 apres ski bars at the bottom of the valley station, but that's really about it. Besides a few hotel restaurants you'll find there's not much else to do.

I don't know Stubai but I'd imagine it will be a very similar scenario there too.

In terms of skiing, Hintertux has plenty to keep you entertained for a weekend, but it's pretty much forecast to be snowing all weekend, so visibility will likely not be great.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stay in Innsbruck and take the bus to Stubai each day, then you'll have plenty to do in the evenings.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swskier, thanks for responding. That's very helpful. Planning to stay in mayrhofen or hintertux area. I came across other posts about taking the shuttle to hintertux from mayrhofen. Since I ll not be driving, would I be able to take any shuttles within hintertux Valley to get around to ski lifts or to the hotel restaurants? Are there any other facilities like taxis available in the hintertux area to get around?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kartheek14, you could go to Ischgl or Solden for the weekend? Both resorts are planned to be open until 1 May.
Ischgl will probably have more of the usual bars open than Solden.

There is a big dump forecast Friday/Saturday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@kartheek14, the valley buses in/around Hintertux are finished by around 7/8pm.

If you were set on Hintertux, I'd stay in Hintertux and then you can walk between thr village and lift to access the different restaurants etc.

But, to be honest, in your scenario, I'd be inclined to follow @Scarlet's advice and stay in Innsbruck and travel to Stubai daily. The bus will take around 1hr 20mins and then you have everything Innsbruck has to offer.

While you're in Innsbruck, the 360⁰ Cafe is worth going in for a drink, and if you're after any food recommendations I can give you a few, and no doubt others on the forum that are local can also give you recommendations.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think St Anton is also still open this weekend. Easy to get to on the train.
Or, as above, head up to Ischgl and stay there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks a ton for the suggestions, @Scarlet, @swskier, @ste_B. Will look into going to St Anton for a day, and staying in Ischgl until 22nd/23rd. Is the best way to go to Ischgl by public transit or renting a taxi up and down from innsbruck?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ischgl is easy by public transport. Train to Landeck, then bus to Ischgl. Busses run every half an hour during the day. If you're arriving or leaving very early or late then you may need a taxi
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You will save yourself a lot of money using public transport vs a taxi for one. The same amount of money won't even get you to the edge of the city!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've only driven, but both Ishgl and Sölden ought to be at least worth checking the conditions of. Sölden usually closes last, with a party (take your Lederhosen...) if you're into that. At that time most of Sölden is closed snow-wise and restaurant/ bar wise. Ishgl will be more lively even up to the end. I shall be missing both this season - going elsewhere wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kartheek14, There is not much at Stubai just a lift station you need to stay down the valley, might as well stay in Innsbruck. Hintertux stay in Mayrhofen. I would go with the Ischgl suggestion (get the bus) it runs pretty much until the end (1st May). Doubt its worth going to St Anton a lot of the pistes are now shut, better elsewhere
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tysm @viv, @Scarlet, @phil_w,@munich_irish! Really helpful suggestions. Will skip St Anton, and plan going to ischgl for the weekend. Could do a day trip or 2 after to stubai or solden for 22nd and 23rd. Just checked out the 360 degree bar, nice chill place and vibes Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stayed in Solden for a week and accessed the glacier and it was good.

Stayed in Innsbruck and day travelled to Stubai and is was ok.

If in Innsbruck I would head to Stubai for day trips, if staying somewhere closer to Hintertux I would head there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ischgl today's been great, low vis in the am, got better post noon, with some good pow! Got to find out there's a concert at samnaun at 1pm. Any suggestions on how to get back thru ski lifts from samnaun to ischgl ? Timing wise, when is it better to start heading back to ischgl? Also any idea what's the deal with duty free?
snow report
kartheek14 wrote:
Ischgl today's been great, low vis in the am, got better post noon, with some good pow! Got to find out there's a concert at samnaun at 1pm tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to get back thru ski lifts from samnaun to ischgl ? Timing wise, when is it better to start heading back to ischgl? Also any idea what's the deal with duty free?
snow conditions
Pretty sure the concert is at Alp Trida (there's a stage setup there, anyway). If so, you just need to get the N1 chair back to ski down to Ischgl. Not sure when the lift closes; probably 16:30

As to duty free, I think it just means no (or little) tax on items in shops in Samnaun
ski holidays
@kartheek14, You're over thinking the getting back it's pretty simple and the duty free is probably cheaper in sainsburys.
ski holidays
Ty @viv, @Baron_von_chippy for the clarifying, wasn't sure since it goes across the borders. But this helps, ty again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy