Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Planning for the 2023 season!

In the past we have always gone skiing with a tour operator, e.g. crystal ski, club med and we have done it with snowtrex once too. This year we are hoping to go DIY and I'm researching on Chalets. Are there any good chalets/chalets website you could recommend? Our only requirement is that it has to be ski-in, ski-out and in a big-ish resort (e.g. no smaller than L2A or Alpe d'Huez).

Thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. It's a very big field out there. Are you looking for a catered chalet, or self-catering. And what dates? What sort of budget? Fly or drive? How many bedrooms do you need?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Self catering looking at either March or early April. We will fly there. Looking at maybe up to £500pp for the chalet for a group of 8 to 10 people. Ideally no one has to be in the sofa bed in the living room. Bunk beds are fine. So probably 4 or 5 bedrooms.

The chalets that came out from Google that made our criteria (ski in ski out, big resorts) are all super expensive like £8k+ for a week. I'm wondering if I used the correct search terms! Maybe I should google apartments instead of chalets?? Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The second or third weeks of March are good for France - after the end of the 4 week French school hols, but usually good conditions. Yes, definitely search on "apartment" rather than "chalet". If you google "chalet" you often come up with catered chalet prices. To get a general idea of what's out there you could look at the website for Peak Retreats. They have high-end apartments in a big range of resorts. Their prices include a return eurotunnel crossing but it's easy to deduct that if you don't need it. Don't forget to budget for transfers. The high costs can come as a shock to people who are used to using tour operator packages. But you get a FAR greater choice of accommodation if you DIY. Good luck.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chalets Direct solutions room is quite good - if it's still going that is.

You post you desired requirements, chalet operators post their replies, you sift through looking for one that matches.

Ski in/out always comes at something of a premium, big resort can both be a plus and a minus when it comes to cost - You can get some good deals because there are usually more operators (depending on resort), but it can also work against you - if the resort is large, then there are fewer ski in/out chalet options which puts the price up.

There's also a shift in the market towards self catering.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@euanovsky, I spend a lot of time googling different places. I have looked at VRBO, booking.com, Air BnB, sunweb has some larger places as well although not fully DIY they are great value and self "drive"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@euanovsky, you could try talking to Peak Feeling. https://peakfeeling-ski.com/. Last March they found me a chalet in Val d'isere for €5300 which could sleep 12 in 6 bedrooms. They also found a chef for 5 days at around €250 per person.

I also search the agents on the resort websites.

Good luck.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We go with a big group of friends each year. Previously this was to a budget chalet, but post Covid/Brexit price increases mean it was much cheaper this year to go to a hotel. Bonus is we get a much better standard of accommodation as well. We went to the excellent Ours Blanc in Les menuires which would meet your requirements for big area and ski in/out.

Not self catering but B&B, and the breakfast buffet is great. Some decent cheap places to eat out in Les m.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@euanovsky Your criteria are simply far too wide. You'll get viable suggestions from the Forum, but they'll be very random. I suggest that you narrow down the locations a bit based on a few criteria. It's common for people to return to somewhere they've been before and liked, because it's much easier to judge what's on offer ('Only 300m from the lifts': yes, but a vertical difference of 100m so it's a queue for a crowded bus - and so on).

So narrow it down a bit to a few resorts (yeah, include one you've not been too before just to see); take a look at some agency websites for an idea of prices and accommodation on offer; and as mentioned, contact a couple to start the ball rolling.

This coming season I'm not sure that flying is as attractive an option as it once was. I know five people who've flown recently, and they have all suffered cancellations and rescheduling. So perhaps just cost out a driving alternative just to see and as a backup if flights become an issue. Typically, a car journey is around £500-£700 return depending on the vehicle and date of travel (although some SNowHeads will claim it can be done cheaper). Last season, there were periods where car hire seemed to be cripplingly expensive and people were switching to self-drive late in the day, which isn't ideal.

It's a common theme on SnowHeads that people book their flights first, without much reference to destinations, then find that the car rental is hugely expensive or problematic, or they can't get a transfer given the time they arrive. It's often better to select your destinations first, then work backwards from the ideal arrival time to see what transfers and flights and rentals will work best for you all. Sometimes this will make the choice of resort for you, given the logistics and costs.

Hotel versus apartment depends on the makeup of your group. Personally, if it's families, an apartment is much more flexible and gives everyone space to come and go and relax as they wish. For a set of adults, yes, don't discount a hotel in your mix of target accommodation. As you'd expect, accommodation prices can be very sensitive to distance from lifts and amenities (that bargain may turn out to be a drive away from the shops and lift, down a steep icy access track). And beware the apartment issue of stuffing as many beds into as little space as possible - compare on the basis of both number of bedrooms and m² - our 68m² 2-bed apartment is advertised as a 4-person accommodation (or 2 adults and 3 children) but in some resorts it would be double that as 3 (tiny) bedrooms and a sofa-bed at the cost of much less living space.

On a secondary note, some apartments are serviced by a central heating and hot water system while others may be serviced by their own immersion heater. In the former case, hot water is effectively unlimited, which is nice. In the latter, you may be waiting literally hours for the tank to re-heat if everyone arrives back at the same time. And don't forget to check for decent wired broadband: anyone like us who has this (wired to the apartment at around 36 Mbps) tends to clearly mention it - if it's not mentioned, then be suspicious that you're sharing a low-bandwidth wireless system with lots of other people. In our village, there are some apartments that don't have any Internet connection at all, which is hard to credit, given that it's available.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Decide on your first choice resort and in addition to search resources already mentioned most French resorts have their own reservation systems. For L2A the link is here https://booking.les2alpes.com/ (nothing to do with Booking .com). This will give access to a whole range of accommodation in the resort at French prices ( without any additional mark-up from a UK travel company). Very often they will run discount offers on lift passes. Also research local estate agents as they also have separate accommodation not bookable through any other source.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LaForet wrote:
@euanovsky Typically, a car journey is around £500-£700 return depending on the vehicle and date of travel (although some SNowHeads will claim it can be done cheaper). Last season, there were periods where car hire seemed to be cripplingly expensive and people were switching to self-drive late in the day, which isn't ideal.

We sail Hull -Rotterdam. Last March we sailed for £250 we can get from Rotterdam to Tignes in 1 tank of fuel (but we fill up in Luxembourg), with Tolls only applicable from Nancy - Frangy ~€35 euro. and a hotel at Dole with a Buffalo grill dinner we're all in for ~£700 return.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 4-09-22 14:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excellent - thank you all for your great advice! Will do more research based on what's mentioned Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

This coming season I'm not sure that flying is as attractive an option as it once was. I know five people who've flown recently, and they have all suffered cancellations and rescheduling.

And this of course https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62783358

TBH no matter how you try to get out of GB problems may occur. At least when your flight is delayed more than 3hours you are entitled to your 250€ per person
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sunweb and Snowtrex are well known for providing accommodation and lift pass packages (apartments and chalets), plenty of options from them on the self catering front, won't be much cheaper in the big resorts but if you open yourself up to less well known/smaller resorts (many with extra areas on the lift pass you can get to easily if your driving) then you will find plenty of options....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
euanovsky wrote:
Thanks. Self catering looking at either March or early April. We will fly there. Looking at maybe up to £500pp for the chalet for a group of 8 to 10 people. Ideally no one has to be in the sofa bed in the living room. Bunk beds are fine. So probably 4 or 5 bedrooms.

The chalets that came out from Google that made our criteria (ski in ski out, big resorts) are all super expensive like £8k+ for a week. I'm wondering if I used the correct search terms! Maybe I should google apartments instead of chalets?? Puzzled

We've used the following agency twice to diy in Tignes https://www.appartatignes.com/en/. Worth dropping them a line if Tignes would be an option.
Generally the apartments aren't cheap but the quality and locations are excellent. For the last week in March 2023 there are 4 bedroom apartments (sleeps Cool for EUR3,890 which sounds like its within your budget of £500 per person. That apartment block is all but ski in / ski out. Literally a one minute walk to the lifts.
Private transfers for a group of 8 should work out well. Generally the vans take 8 adults. Approx EUR900 return from the likes of Geneva or Lyon so a little over EUR100 per person.
Somewhere like Les Arcs should have a good deal of self catering apartments.
ski holidays
Just done a quick and dirty search on Abritel.fr (used to book directly with French individuals pre COVID but switched for protection and ease of late cancellation and full refund!).

Les Arcs, 16 March for a week, 5 bedroom - well placed (100m from nearest lift and possibly piste running by side of accommodation) about 5k Euros.
snow report
euanovsky wrote:

I regularly organise the family and a mates ski trip. We tend to go to different resorts as what works for the family isn't wnat works for mates. That said a couple of pointers:

1) for a group your size the number of available chalet's are limited (in comparison to 2 or 3 bed apartments) as many will be let to Chalet companies so it becomes a compromise - price v location v # of beds. We have a rule that everyone has to have a bed so we compromise the other 2 to fit what works. I would look at Air BnB and VRBO in the resorts you are interested in and set the filter's to the number of bed's you need - 8 guys (unwillling to share a bed) = 8 Beds;

2) Transfers - for 8 of you you will almost be able to get a 9 seater van. Use findatransfer.com - they will put you in touch with numerous operators from established companies to one person bands. I have never had a problem using this site, but the ususal shopping on internet caution should be exercised. Key is to clump people - if you have one or 2 who want to fly in at a different time then the transfer has to be on them otherwise you become a controller at a mini-cab company sorting out everyone's flights and transfers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy