Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arinsal or Pal

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I have read lots of posts on here but this is my first time posting. Am hoping some very helpful folks here can give me some advice.

I am having to book a week during Feb half term next year and have left it rather late as flights already expensive and packages ridiculous. Am taking my novice 17-yr old niece and my two boys (11 + 13 - both early intermediate). Have seen flights to Barcelona and private transfers to Andorra (not cheap but flight times don't work with shared transfers plus take at least an hour longer).

I have narrowed resort down to Pal or Arinsal, my thinking being that Soldeu and El Tartar will be too busy during half term. (Plus, experience of both teaches me that Soldeu gondola has massive queues and El Tartar a pain to walk down to/up from gondola for novices who can't yet ski off the chairlift). (I don't know either Pal or Arinsal.)

Correct me if I am wrong.

Am worried that Arinsal will also be too busy over half term, and that slopes seem quite steep and narrow for novices, compared to Pal. Would stay at Hotel Magic in La Massana, or Hotel Ushuaia in Arinsal. The latter also has the issue of being next to chairlift rather than gondola.

Lesson times at both resorts are weird. 12-3pm in Pal or 9-12 and again at 3-4pm in Arinsal. Am thinking the former is marginally better than the latter!

I went to Soldeu 20-odd years ago in early March when the lifts were closed for half the week due to high winds. (I think it was the time it snowed in the Canaries!) Went to El Tartar last week of March last year but clearly too late in the season. Icy mornings, slushy afternoons. Benefitted from fresh snow towards end of week, but temperature then dropped to -12. So I don't have the best experiences of Andorra...

Apologies for the essay. If anyone knows these resorts or hotels, and can give me their advice, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, my first ski trip was to Arinsal and I don’t recall the slopes being too challenging for a beginner and by the end of the week we were heading over to Pal. We went with Crystal and I recall the transfer from Toulouse being a pain hence when I did short DIY trip a few years ago booked flights to Barcelona. That was far better but I hired a car rather than booking a transfer. This was the end of Feb and the snow was great and if you can it’s worth having a day at Arcalis.

We have booked to go back again this year and it will be my sons first real ski trip (6 years old). We took him to Austria a couple of times pre-covid with Esprit but he was very young. This time around I’ve booked DIY. Flying 4th Feb into Barcelona, picking up a hire care and staying at Princessa Park. This was really quite cheap compared to equivalent trips to Austria and although it won’t be the same it should work nicely for what we are looking for with my son in tow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pal
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Petsonally Arinsal. Been 3 times including twice with young novice skiiers same age as yours. I found the skischool, lessons and slopes to be excellent for their level. Slopes in Pal nicer once you are a bit bettet
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arinsal would probably suit your group needs better. I don’t recall any of the slopes being particularly narrow or steep (caveat: it was 15 years ago that I skied there!).

In all the years of skiing (20), I had one of the best days ever at Pal….bashed pistes, 10cm of overnight snow, early start, clear blue sky, nobody else there. Several hours of making fresh tracks, lift to lift. Awesome!

Anyway, if your beginner develops well, it’d be well worth heading there. IMO it’s the better skiing, if your group is at the right level.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you, all (very belatedly) for your replies and advice. I have booked to stay at Princesa Parc in Arinsal. I think that is good advice as the base, hoping to explore Pal later in the week. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you’ve made the best choice with Arinsal. Pal is easy enough to get to for those that want to. It might well be busy in Arinsal, but it will be everywhere.

If you can, get to Arcalis. It’s on the same lift pass now and will be much much quieter at half term than the other areas because it’s a bit of a trek to get to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You’ll have a great time in Arinsal.

Take a ‘day out’ in Arcalis, well worth the travel time - say, day 4, when you’re all feeling a bit tired anyway - and the change of scenery will give you all a boost.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hammerite wrote:
I think you’ve made the best choice with Arinsal. Pal is easy enough to get to for those that want to. It might well be busy in Arinsal, but it will be everywhere.

If you can, get to Arcalis. It’s on the same lift pass now and will be much much quieter at half term than the other areas because it’s a bit of a trek to get to.

I think the ski bus service between Arinsal & Arcalis will be restored this year, but I need to confirm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ysb33r, I read one of the local news reports the other day. I think it mentioned the Ordino to Arcalis, the ALV to Arcalis and the Pas to Arcalis services, but no mention of Arinsal to Arcalis service. I’ll try and find it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite wrote:
@ysb33r, I read one of the local news reports the other day. I think it mentioned the Ordino to Arcalis, the ALV to Arcalis and the Pas to Arcalis services, but no mention of Arinsal to Arcalis service. I’ll try and find it.

@hammerite, I think one has to change in La Massana. I do feel though, that information has been coming in drips and drabs and the local sites for GV & VN are not even up to date.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ysb33r, the Grandvalira website is brand new too. One report said that they've been trying to negotiate with the govern/public bus companies to allow anyone with a ski pass to get free access to the public buses. Maybe that's been the delay to any concrete news. Although the other day similar reports said that temporary workers (i.e. seasonal) won't get a free bus pass even though permanent residents do.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In other news. I went to Arinsal on opening day. As expected, they opened about an hour late as they were still getting things in place. The Refugi will be closed the whole season and the Obelix is being refurbished into some classy restaurant. That will only open in January.

Snow-wise, it was pretty good. Not everything was open and there are some bare spots - to be expected so early in the season. But it was fun, and we had the slopes to ourselves (us = ~30 people) in the morning. Opening day on a Friday is always good as it allows the workers to validate that everything is indeed functioning and us local are willing guinea pigs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ysb33r, nice. Work for me today. I’ll be out tomorrow and Sunday though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy