Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, If you can save 20 mins a day, then yes, it certainly starts to look attractive over the longer period.

But I'm not convinced I will save enough in the particular 3 weeks I'm going. (and especially with Miniroll on the A la carte for the few days when she joins me and Mrs R: we'd have to wait for her anyway!

But I guess that' why they offer the range of options - horses for courses as it were. I feel a spreadsheet coming on to compare and contrast at the end of the season!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think this is more or less accurate?

13 express lanes :
Vallandry: Vallandry / Grizzly / Peisey / Derby
1600: Mont Blanc
1800: Villards / Vagère / Carreley / Arpette
1950: Varet / Marmottes / Bois de l'Ours
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ukoldschool, yes, I think that's the current list. If they added the Arcabulle chairlift that would cover all the main bottlenecks (except for the Aiguille Rouge which is in a separate category, offering paid-for line cutting).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only lifts I would have liked to have had fastpath on, and that is only occasionally, are Derby and Varet.

Arcabulle is the worst bottleneck, but that doesn't have it.
2nd worst can be Pre St Esprit - the new lift can sometimes be slowed for wind-effects at the top, but that's not obvious for those below 1950 so people continue to ski down to it - but... that doesn't have fastpath either. (And you can always use Comborciere if in a hurry to ski some more)

Know the resort, know the busy timings, know the alternate routes, and you can avoid almost all queues greater than 3 minutes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

(And you can always use Comborciere if in a hurry to ski some more)

Yes, Comborciere and Arpette is a good alternative, but a common route for me to the 2000 bowl is Combettes, Cachette, Clocheret and down Secret. TBH it is possibly the only reason I'd be using pre st espirit (or having had a run down the excellent Comborciere piste).

To avoid Arcabulle use the express lane on Varet then Plagnetttes.

I like the list of fast lanes given. They cover a number of bottlenecks, especially in 1800 where there are only two major lifts left off and there is never a queue for one of them.

The lifts with fast lanes on them are marked with a yellow circle with a + on them on the piste map. Just wondered what some of the other symbols were. I think the yellow circle with a Capercaillie on it possible means beware of birds asleep under the snow. But what about the black circle with a water drop on it. Does it mean site of undertaker?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, water fountains to fill your water bottle. The resort is very keen to reduce plastic waste, so trying to make bottled water unnecessary.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A tap in other words.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
A tap in other words.
Not just a tap, a “Les Arcs tap” [/M&S].

https://saveoursnow.com/2020/12/10/les-arcs-awarded-green-snowflake-environmental-certification/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think this is more or less accurate?

13 express lanes :
Vallandry: Vallandry / Grizzly / Peisey / Derby
1600: Mont Blanc
1800: Villards / Vagère / Carreley / Arpette
1950: Varet / Marmottes / Bois de l'Ours / Comborciere
Sorry I forgot the last one which isnt really in 1950....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ukoldschool, Comborciere used to be on the Arc1600 list of runs and pistes so you can be forgiven for omitting it from the 2000 list
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice snow high last night...

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi there, was interested to know if anyone has seen sight of early booking discount for this season ? Last year it was booking between 15th Oct and 15th Nov but I've not had any emails and nothing on the website. Also, Carte Neige isn't addable onto the pass it appears. Currently its looking like 51 EUR pp uplift on last year for essential which is pretty high.

Thanks v much
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MoreSkis wrote:
Hi there, was interested to know if anyone has seen sight of early booking discount for this season ? Last year it was booking between 15th Oct and 15th Nov but I've not had any emails and nothing on the website. Also, Carte Neige isn't addable onto the pass it appears. Currently its looking like 51 EUR pp uplift on last year for essential which is pretty high.

Thanks v much

I had an email from Peisey-Vallandry tourist office saying the "Happy Week" for discounted passes runs from Nov 3rd to 11th this year.
ski holidays
Sorry, it's the 3rd to the 18th Nov.

Here's the link: https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/happy_weeks
snow report
Ah thanks, I saw that but I assumed that was discounting those weeks which in hindsight is silly of me since they're not open then. Brilliant thanks, I'll wait until then that'll make a big difference!
ski holidays
MoreSkis wrote:

Thanks v much
I’m assuming that the option to add insurance to the lift pass will become available when the lift passes go on sale (3 November). Carte Neige seems to have been re-named Carré Neige Saison.
ski holidays
Hi all. There was speculation in last year's thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156384&start=520 that the Charmettoger lift might be removed imminently (as part of a project to renovate the TransArc). Anyone know whether it'll still be operational for 2022-2023?
snow conditions
@parigi, I have no knowledge about your query - this isn't an attempt to ignore it!

But for everyone else, I'd like to re-open the thoughts on train travel, in light of https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/the-elizabeth-line-will-accept-european-interrail-tickets-58314/

As a lucky southerner (with a government focussed on leveling up our railway while ignoring everywhere else in the UK...sorry about that) we have an Elizabeth Line station 6 mins walk from home, a timetable to get us to St Pancras well in time for the early morning Eurostars, and, it would appear, an opportunity for an end-to-end journey on a single ticket. (save the inevitable Farringdon - St P, and Gare du Nord Gare De Lyon interchanges).

(It also implies that mainline overground journeys are covered in the UK too, one outbound and one inbound journey per traveling month)

"4 day in a month" costs
for an adult €256;
youth 11-27 €185 and
€221 for old git like me, 60+ - 2nd class.
- which would not only allow the daytime travel, but also any overnight options taking two 'days' to travel each way).

Has anyone done the Interrail cost comparisons? Or indeed used them? (Have asked Canterbury Rail for their views). I have already got my December tickets, but looking at March now. It feels like a no-brainer.

AR
snow conditions
InterRail update.
Turns out, you only get UK travel on a "global" pass - which, for someone like me close to London, doesn't work out, as the price difference between Global and 'One country' is greater than my UK trainfare. For someone further afield however may be a good option.

The "one country, France only" option is offers a 'three days' in a month ticket for €146 So that's the Paris - Bourg element sorted

And Eurostar offer a heavily discounted ticket with both Global and One country inter-rails rather than totally included. But a discount is a discount, and anyway is a good option for the late bookers of this world!

So I now require another spreadsheet - to do all the options.... Smile
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, following your research with interest. I'm looking for a sensibly priced rail option if they journey can be done in a single day, as I no interest in staying overnight in Paris (I already spend too many nights away from home in a typical year).
latest report
This winter’s lift passes are now available to purchase via the Les Arcs website:

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/

Fixed duration and season passes are available, and for the next couple of weeks there is a 10% discount on passes up to 12 days duration (excluding the group discount prices [Duo, Tribe & Family]).

They do seem to be offering interest-free payment scheme over three months for those who wish to spread out the pain*. Also a 4-instalment option, although I think this charges interest. Carte Neige insurance is available, €49 for a season or €3 a day for fixed duration passes.

* Buying ski passes is always financially painfully, but season passes have been reduced by 40% from last year, so significantly less pain than previously. Well played Paradiski, well played!
ski holidays
2 essential season passes plus carte neige cover purchased today
Building car park pass also purchased
I think its time to start the 'I need to get into my ski kit' diet
snow report
Just had VISA credit payment refused twice by the system. My Bank says they are using an old system. Visa notified everyone of an update earlier this year. I have messaged them (French) via chat & they are 'looking into it' !
snow report
Nice to see temps drop and some light snow today..

latest report
Arc 2000 this morning. Gotta love the crunch of fresh snow under your feet…

http://youtube.com/v/GDk9276wpsE
snow conditions
kapt wrote:
Just had VISA credit payment refused twice by the system. My Bank says they are using an old system. Visa notified everyone of an update earlier this year. I have messaged them (French) via chat & they are 'looking into it' !

Might be worth one more try - I had the same issue but it did eventually work and I've got a confirmation email.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Might be worth one more try - I had the same issue but it did eventually work and I've got a confirmation email.

@Yukon, Thanks. I tried 3 times yesterday + once more this morning. Having spent (almost literally) hours on the phone to UK bank/building society. (Nationwide)
Nationwide said French fault. French said Nationwide's fault.
Eventually we used my wife's Halifax Mastercard - which went through fine. It sent through to our mobile a pass code, which we had to enter into the website (just as we often have to do in UK) - unlike the VISA which didn't - & which, according to the French, was the problem.
Exactly who was to blame I do not know (that is not to say I do not care!! Given eventually a renewed will to live, I would dearly like to complain to someone - but who??!)
Why is it always the consumer stuck in the middle.
The French, to be fair, looked into it multiple times & sent through 6 pages of detail about the transaction that had been rejected. (beyond me I'm afraid).
They asked me to send it to my Bank. I did ask them if I could - but of course they were not interested.
Perhaps says more about our financial institutions.
Nationwide - are you listening???
Grrrrr.
snow report
@kapt, I had similar frustration last year, but using a French bank's visa card.

It was only after a loooong set of exchanges with various banks that I realised I had a new visa card that hadn't been used for a transaction since it was sent to me.

Went and bought one (1) apple in Sainsbury's, 65p (or 80 cents cos I was using a € card) and it went through sweet as a nut next time of asking.

I did feel a bit of a fool...
latest report
@Arctic Roll,
Thank you for your input. I don't see why you would feel a 'fool' - nor sure why there would be a problem with no previous card use.
But, as far as I am aware, it is not my first use - but I could be wrong.
Anyway - happy ending - just made me a little concerned, as we tend to use the Nationwide card abroad - it does not have a transaction fee.
It's been a couple of years since visiting L.A. & we are both looking very much forward to it.
Now all we need is more snow.
ski holidays
@kapt, Halifax do a 'Clarity' card which has no transaction fees abroad - maybe time for a swop?

https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/travel.html
snow report
@albob,
Good idea - thanks.
Will 'encourage' my wife to look into it - she, after all, is in charge of the ££s
wink
ski holidays
Gorgeous evening on top of the glacier..
snow report
Hi all, thanks for the earlier advice I can see lift passes are now discounted (although wont let me pay in 4 Sad )

I have another question I hope you can help with. I booked and apartment in Les Arcs 1800 in the Aiguille des Glaciers complex and I had intended to park in the Villards covered car park but I didn't check the height restrictions and it appears my car with roof box will be no good. Therefore, I wondered about street parking or the distance to the Charmettoger for parking which looks about 5 min walk. We're skiing from midday on the 1st April through to 4/5pm on the 8th so I'm assuming ill need to book the parking until Sunday in Charmettoger.

For the Aiguille des Glaciers residence has anyone any recommendations on those options? If I go with Charmettoger is there any place to unload near the residence? One other thought process is to put the roof box in the car and park in villards but thats quite a faff for a few 5/10 minute round trips but an option.

Any suggestions on parking are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
snow report
MoreSkis wrote:
Hi all, thanks for the earlier advice I can see lift passes are now discounted (although wont let me pay in 4 Sad )

I have another question I hope you can help with. I booked and apartment in Les Arcs 1800 in the Aiguille des Glaciers complex and I had intended to park in the Villards covered car park but I didn't check the height restrictions and it appears my car with roof box will be no good. Therefore, I wondered about street parking or the distance to the Charmettoger for parking which looks about 5 min walk. We're skiing from midday on the 1st April through to 4/5pm on the 8th so I'm assuming ill need to book the parking until Sunday in Charmettoger.

For the Aiguille des Glaciers residence has anyone any recommendations on those options? If I go with Charmettoger is there any place to unload near the residence? One other thought process is to put the roof box in the car and park in villards but thats quite a faff for a few 5/10 minute round trips but an option.

Any suggestions on parking are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Looking at Google Street View, the Villards height is 4.2m which is pretty generous - though I can't guarantee it as I normally use Charmettoger, and best to check there isn't a further restriction further in:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.5716418,6.7778057,3a,51.7y,59.13h,88.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sV3dMqytFpbq1bR_sKg1xAg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DV3dMqytFpbq1bR_sKg1xAg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D71.071%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

This is actually more generous than Charmettoger, which is 2.3m:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.5683724,6.7769479,3a,50.3y,329.52h,83.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUt9tTFRiUz7H6R_p48spKg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I would say that Charmettoger is at least 10 mins walk - and longer in ski boots. It's a decent car park though - and plenty of room in April; I would say aound 50% full normally.
ski holidays
Thanks for the reply. I also checked that and thought that’s massive but I found another blurry image that suggests that once you’re in it reduces to 1.9 m. The booking website also only says max 1.83. Will dig out the image. But yeah 4m would be totally fine if that’s the case but I suspect that’s just the entrance.

Interesting about availability on the car park might be worth getting there and seeing as we’ll be there reasonably early in the day.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
They do seem to be offering interest-free payment scheme over three months ...
But not really. Upon closer examination you need to use a credit/debit card issued in one of these countries to take advantage of their payment scheme: France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria or Ireland. But not the UK. Oh well.
snow conditions
Sorry if this is a repeat question but I'm hearing different views on the lift pass option. Some saying don't pay for la plagne area as you get one day on the area lift pass anyway and there's enough skiing in the les arcs area to keep you occupied for the other 5 days. Other people I know saying absolutely buy the all area pass. Thoughts please
ski holidays
@dave_3, The free day in La Plagne was discontinued years ago but it is only about 30€ for an extension to visit La Plagne. There is more than enough skiing in Les Arcs to keep you occupied for weeks not just 5 days. I ski Les Arcs a couple times each year and have done for years but I seldom go to La Plagne. I do, however, buy the Essentials pass purely for the queue jumping facility. In fact if you do arrive at a lift queue with the priority lanes you will see that most people ony have classic passes that only cover the Les Arcs domain. A visit to the Vanoise express reinforces that information by how few people are on it.

Be a little careful with the "all area pass" term. It may be being applied for the whole Les Arcs domain rather than just, say, the 2000 valley. Paradiski is actually two distinct ski areas joined by a single telepherique. It is not joined in the same way as say Val d'Isere and Tignes are joined.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy