Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
@wills_h, Vegan in France is still not easy at all. Your other half will be eating a lot of chips. Places are doing vegetarian options but vegan options are pretty much non existant.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Popping over to Les Arcs from Sainte Foy for a ski this Sat , normally lunch in Luigi’s 1950 but have been a bit disappointed recently . Any ideas mid range restaurant ? Can be Vallandry or 1800 side of the Col de Frettes . Many thanks for ideas
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blanche Muree is good, off to the left about halfway down Reches.

As is Le Sanglier Qui Fume, off to the right as you get to the bottom of Mont Blanc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Who stops for lunch? I guess only the fortunate one who are out for more than a week Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rob Mackley, Not sure what you want for lunch so hard to make a recommendation. My favourites include:
Hotel vanoise in peisey for waiter served. The plat du jour is the thing to go for.
Relix in vallandry, once again waiter served.
The “mushroom “ above 2000 for seafood platter
La bouche in 1600. The terrace is wonderful.
Rocky Mountain in 1600. IIRC 16 euros gets you an excellent burger and a beer.
Pre st esprit for reasnoble self service.
La ferme in villaroger is ok self service

The smoking boar above 1600 is very popular and bookings are now advised.

@BKK, I’ve even heard of people stopping for coffee. Disgusting. Actually since the slopes don’t seem to get much quieter over lunch time I suspect that not that many people stop these days.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Found Blanche Muree a bit disappointing last March - very busy, food not as good as previous visits, but might just have the late visit on a Friday with tons of ski schools that was the cause. Interested to learn where you went etc, as a repeat trip is coming up mid March.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@scotski99, interesting. One of our staples, but agreed, you do need to get in early to avoid the myriad instructors and pisteurs there (which I always take as a positive sign!)

#1 in our book though for 'fast food' the 3 Saveurs above the top of the Peisey lift: not quick service if there is a queue - but efficient & friendly, and good vfm. Warming if you need to be inside, stunning views if you sit outside.

When boys skiing rather than family, we're fans of the cheap(ish) and cheerful Panoramic at the top of 1600 - relaxed, good choice, good value.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed in Arcs 1800 4th-11th Feb.

Snow cover is good, icy in patches with a few patches of mud on some of the lower runs.
Great snowboarding to be had on the sunnier / popular runs after lunch once they've had chance to soften up.
Higher altitude runs very icy and wind swept.

Great week though, I advise getting edges sharpened after a few days in resort!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Stayed in Arcs 1800 4th-11th Feb.

Snow cover is good, icy in patches with a few patches of mud on some of the lower runs.
Great snowboarding to be had on the sunnier / popular runs after lunch once they've had chance to soften up.
Higher altitude runs very icy and wind swept.

Great week though, I advise getting edges sharpened after a few days in resort!

Good to hear - do you think the 'decent' snow level is 1500/1600 and above or even higher than that?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The snow at 1800 still wasn't great with rocks coming through. 1600 was very poor at the bottom. The snow higher up was OK first thing but come mid day the snow had been scrapped away to reveal ice and rocks in places. Especially on the steeper pistes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers, praying for snow!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Macker13 wrote:
Looking forward to my trip in March to Arc 1800. Has Red Hot Saloon bar been bought and reopened by anyone yet?

Sorry to bring bad news but it’s been taken over by Intersport!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi snowheads. Debut post incoming. We’re in plan peisey this week. Villages below 1800 are all beginning to look
Brown and quite sad. Almost too hot to eat out in the sun at lunchtime! On piste Snow higher up is still surprisingly good and most runs above 2000m or so are still in decent Nick , even if the snow is 4 weeks old The odd ice patch or even muddy patch even up there. But , has to said, mostly fantastic skiing in warm sun. Just stay as high as you can a long as you can. And start early. To warm
To ski for me after 3pm. But the brown line is rising up the mountains opposite at quite a rate in relentless sun.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@overlapper73, Welcome -- I am in Les Arcs next month ; hoping for some snow before then !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@overlapper73, better than being in the office wink Laughing
ski holidays
@albob, March 25th for us - was similar conditions same time last year in that it was very warm down in Vallandry and slushy late in day. Also doing a daily snow dance for more snow before then.

We've been before at this time of year and had fresh powder daily - so there is hope!
snow conditions
Thanks for the welcome. And yes, fingers crossed for snow soon for future visitors. But agreed, better dealing with a bit of slush down low than the weekly budget dial in
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@albob, March 25th for us - was similar conditions same time last year in that it was very warm down in Vallandry and slushy late in day. Also doing a daily snow dance for more snow before then.

We've been before at this time of year and had fresh powder daily - so there is hope!

Last time I went to Les Arcs mid march it was -18 on a couple of days (Arc2000)....!
snow report
@overlapper73, glad you are enjoying the domain. Couple of weeks ago the on-piste snow was lovely (the off-piste, not so much...), albeit the weather a lot colder than you seem to be experiencing now - which obviously helped both while we were there, and maintaining it for the February traffic. .

We're back out on 18th March, so snow dances being done here too!
ski holidays
We're a week later, first week of April. I keep on checking https://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/west-alps?hr=102 !!!
snow report
Quote:

Villages below 1800 are all beginning to look brown and quite sad.

The Combettes livecam looks completely snow covered. Should I not trust it?
latest report
Have only been over to 1600 once and Pistes were ok but they can be very thin and icy here and there, then slushy late on. Most pistes across the domain are still just about holding up but it’s the “ambient snow” that’s disappearing fast. The odd “thin snow cover” warning sign is starting to appear here and there usually on anything south facing. Pisteuers must have been doing a great job keeping it all together for so long. We’ve been skiing quite a bit off the plagnettes lift and up there all is good with the world.
ski holidays
Gosh, I was there in late January and everything was looking good then. Was staying down in Bourg Saint Maurice and there was a decent amount of snow on the ground in town which was barely melting because it was so cold.

Hope there’s some new snow soon.
snow report
We just got back from half term week.
Snow is good I would say from 2000 upwards. Below that its suffered from from freeze/thaw and is fairly icy, particularly in the wide exposed runs above the main resorts on the 1600/1800/Vallandry side.
Some of the lower runs were closing as we left, e.g. Belvedere from Charmetogger lift onwards was closed on Sunday afternoon. I would imagine Charmetogger where it crosses Plan Bois will also close soon; they kept open a *tiny* strip but it'll disappear soon.
The 2000 bowl was great conditions still.
We learned pretty fast not to descend into the main 1600, 1800, Vallandry resorts and just stay high. We made good use of the transarc mid-station, Arpette and Clocheret (shame its so slow) lifts for that purpose.
I didn't find the high stuff particularly icy. Arrandelliere was fine, everything from the top of the Arcabulle was fine. Aiguille Rouge from the Lanchettes chair; fine. Clocheret, Col de Frettes, Grand Renard. All fine. We didn't go up Grand Col or the Aiguille Rouge Cable car.

Defo needs some more snow soon! I see some forecast this next week. Fingers crossed; we are back 2nd week in March!
snow report
ps La Plagne was also great. We spent a day going up and down various runs above Plagne Bellecotte and the Roche de Mio and had a great day. They've done a good job of keeping the outbound and inbound routes to the Vanoise in pretty good nick.
ski holidays
Good to hear! This is why we've gone with the Paradiski pass, so we can stay high enough when we go.
snow report
My second visit of the year has now been moved back to March 27th until April 3rd. Anyone around that time? I may stay longer if the snow is good.
ski holidays
Does anyone know the ins and outs of the fast track passes in Les Arcs? I have a weeks Paradiski pass which is supposed to give you fast track access, and everywhere except for one lift it has worked for me and my other half.

In the Derby 69 queue, which lasted easily 15-20 mins, we finally got to the gate and it wouldn't buzz either of us through. Of course the most busy body mouthy woman appears and starts deciding to get involved as if we weren't frustrated enough all ready.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We arrive in LA on April 1st. Keeping everything crossed for a March dump of snow.

Crazy to hear about runs closing as early as February!
snow report
Ruswit wrote:
Does anyone know the ins and outs of the fast track passes in Les Arcs? I have a weeks Paradiski pass which is supposed to give you fast track access, and everywhere except for one lift it has worked for me and my other half.

In the Derby 69 queue, which lasted easily 15-20 mins, we finally got to the gate and it wouldn't buzz either of us through. Of course the most busy body mouthy woman appears and starts deciding to get involved as if we weren't frustrated enough all ready.

At Christmas we had a few random problems on the Les Arcs side. Not fast track specifically though but I thought the actually lift pass gates were the same anyway. All fast track is like the ski school lane - a means of jumping the queue to get to the gates.

Could you get to another gate to try? Did the lift attendant have to buzz you through in the end?
snow report
Owlette wrote:
We arrive in LA on April 1st. Keeping everything crossed for a March dump of snow.

Crazy to hear about runs closing as early as February!

I was all set to start booking up for a trip 1st to 8th but beginning to wonder a bit.

The snow that was forecast this week looks to now be a damp squib. Still plenty of time for that to change before 1st April but....
latest report
Quote:

At Christmas we had a few random problems on the Les Arcs side. Not fast track specifically though but I thought the actually lift pass gates were the same anyway. All fast track is like the ski school lane - a means of jumping the queue to get to the gates.

No it's not like the ski school lane. If you don't have an essentials pass (or the other one that no one has) it just will not let you through. We had no problems over christmas at any piority gate.
snow report
We had the essentials pass so used the yellow priority lane at times. Must be said, was not clear if they save any queuing time or not as they are often quite busy and lead to a single gate. One to play by ear depending on the lift. We didn’t head over to La plagne. With all the skiing in Les arcs, not sure if it’s worth it (depends if the snow over there is better).

Home now from last week. Had great skiing every day and I’d want to be positive for those booked in the next few weeks, but it really does need to snow soon. As per previous poster, still plenty of snow above 2000m or so, but even that can’t last forever (looks warm again this week).
snow report
Over Christmas we used the priority lanes a lot and reccon they were saving over half an hour a day in queues. For example varet had terrible queues, perhaps 15 minutes. The priority lane went almost to the front every time. The ones at ours and combourcier were also wonderful. We never went to la plagne but thought the queue jumping ability was worth the extra cost of the essentials pass alone.

Sad to see that they are not offering that advantage anymore. I hope they’ve sorted it out again by the time we return in march
ski holidays
@johnE, would agree on the Varet - the most useful bit of the fast paths. (that and the discount on the zipwire)

There aren't any fast-tracks in La Plagne , we are all just plebs when over there.
ski holidays
@Layne, Yeah we just tried the adjacent gates (normal ones) and worked just fine. We got spooked as it rejected both of our passes, but it worked on every other fast track gate we tried over those 2 days.

In general the fast track lanes work fine, but I am not sure I agree with them in principal... There were a few situations where the half term crowd was so big that the fast track lane was fully blocked by the spill-over. This essentially blocks one gate from being used for a chair lift, and makes the crowds even worse which is ridiculous!

The Derby 69 fast track queue was *significantly* slower than the regular queues, not to mention rejecting our passes and causing a bit of embarrassment.
ski holidays
Just out of interest has anyone done the First Tracks piece, where you can ski from 7:45am? Just wondering if it's worth it and any other comments about doing it. It feels like something worthwhile...

Plus in the same vein the Children's Torchlit descent - is that something that is offered for the whole season or just (at the moment anyway) until the end of Feb? Plus what age limit is there, I think my youngest is too old for it, but you never know!! I guess it's all arranged through ESF anyway.

and finally... There is an offer of trying Biathlon for 2 persons - again, has anyone done this?

Cheers!
snow conditions
If you want a weird experience go on the live cam for Arc2000, it is presently transmitting upside down....

https://www.lesarcs.com/livecams
snow report
eps wrote:
Just out of interest has anyone done the First Tracks piece, where you can ski from 7:45am? Just wondering if it's worth it and any other comments about doing it. It feels like something worthwhile...

Yes, about 3 years ago, myself and son. He still has that as one of the best things he's done Very Happy up to top of ridge above 1800 and then skiing down in that area as many times as you want. There's others get up there from 2000 & 1600 areas to, so in theory you could ski those routes too. A breakfast up on the mountain was included (I managed to muck up the booking so didn't get in for that) nevertheless, standing up at the top with utterly clear blue ski, crisp corduroy rolled out in front of you and such serene atmosphere, will be remembered a long time, absolutely worth it for us.

No experience to offer on the other experiences.
latest report
ski3 wrote:
eps wrote:

Yes, about 3 years ago, myself and son. He still has that as one of the best things he's done Very Happy up to top of ridge above 1800 and then skiing down in that area as many times as you want. There's others get up there from 2000 & 1600 areas to, so in theory you could ski those routes too. A breakfast up on the mountain was included (I managed to muck up the booking so didn't get in for that) nevertheless, standing up at the top with utterly clear blue ski, crisp corduroy rolled out in front of you and such serene atmosphere, will be remembered a long time, absolutely worth it for us.

No experience to offer on the other experiences.

Cool. Good to hear. Think I'll see what the rest of the group think and book at least two of us on it!

Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy