Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2022 / 2023

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
@albob, here's a consolation photo, taken from my balcony at Arc 1800. It continues to snow Happy

Beautiful -- Thanks snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apologies in advance for posting here as we're not skiing in Les Arcs this year, but we are staying the night in Bourg on Christmas Day on the way back from Tignes. The hotel restaurant is closed (not because of Christmas but because it's a sunday!) so I thought here would be the best place to ask for a restaurant recommendation - family of four with two food-adventurous teenagers - good but not silly money is the aim. Cheers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's not a lot of choice at all on a Sunday, which hotel are you staying in? Basecamp is about the only hotel that might have the kitchen open, otherwise, the only place we've found open on a Sunday is La Ruelle, which is at the top of the Grande Rue.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Staying in L'Angival so central. Will check out La Ruelle - thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those arriving this weekend, another photo from today to whet your appetite.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 14-12-22 9:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks epic we arrive in les coches Friday. Hopefully a few trips over your side
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, You’re in 1800 from memory? Is that pic in the village of 1800?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Morning all. The. Journey begins. 5.37 Elizabeth Line to get to StP for the 8.01. possibly a bit early, but am time checking for future trips in Jan and March.
See you on the slopes!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbooker wrote:
@rob@rar, You’re in 1800 from memory? Is that pic in the village of 1800?
Yes, that’s correct. That’s the Vagere chairlift and Pisteur’s Hut in the foreground.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arriving in our apartment (1950) on 18th and staying until 29th. Any recommendations for pierrades (hot rocks) in 2000 please? We have tried a couple in 1950, but don’t know what’s available in 2000. Also any recommendations for a nice Christmas dinner in the evening? Thanks!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
@ipken, let us know how the Arpette has changed since the building work in the summer
Closed today, still looks like plenty of work to do, at least in the restaurant section.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very enjoyable start to the season. Piste conditions mostly very good for early December, although the forecast snow later this week will be useful in helping keep conditions in decent shape as snow depths aren't overly generous. But today the pistes were very nice indeed, with no lift queues and fairly quiet around the place despite the restricted opening, as usual on day 1. Visibility was a bit mixed to start with and deteriorated as the day went on, so I finished for a late lunch. Tomorrow should be a bit brighter, and fresh snow forecast for Tuesday or Wednesday.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnowVillan wrote:
Fly out on Saturday for a week; then, back on January 5th for 4 weeks ... Laughing
easyjet flight cancelled this morning out of Manchester ... trying again tomorrow at 0705.
Frustrating but part of the gig, I suppose.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That was a lovely, albeit cold day! Although below -10 degrees for much of the day there was no wind, so it was a comfortable temperature to ski in. At the start of the day the valley was filled with cloud up to about 2000m, and it was cold enough to wrest some snow out of the conditions, leading to the usual situation of the lower slopes having a few centimetres of very light, fresh snow. Above that level it was cold, crisp and blue sky, with sparkles in the air throughout the morning. Piste conditions are good, very good for this time of year. Off-piste is still pretty thin, and dipping off the side of the pistes meant frequent ground hits and the odd shark lurking, so I stayed mostly on piste where there was much fun to be had. For much of the morning I stayed below the cloud level to enjoy the fresh, variable snow on closed pistes.

Visited the new light show in the gondola garage at the top of the Varet. Really enjoyed it, well worth a few Euros, and a great use of otherwise dead space during the day. Nice to see the resort adding novel things like that. I'll try to post a little bit of video later.

The Arpette restaurant is still closed. Wonder how long before it opens? The Altiport restaurant has purchased the large umbrella bar which used to be on the Arpette terrace, and is now on the roof of the Altiport plus a DJ booth for happy hour and music from 3pm each day.

A cold, and somewhat snowy start:

Plenty of light, variable snow on and off-piste:

It was cold, often below -10 degrees:

For those that earn their turns, there was some nice nice fresh tracks to be made:

Great views down there Tarentaise:
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arpette opening on the 23rd.
latest report
@timlongs, thanks. Gosh, that’s a big chunk of the season opening they’ll miss (albeit a fairly quiet period). Must be a big refurb they’re doing.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@timlongs, thanks. Gosh, that’s a big chunk of the season opening they’ll miss (albeit a fairly quiet period). Must be a big refurb they’re doing.

Big big money involved in the refit that's for sure.

There is going to be a snack bar/shack thing selling takeaway cans of craft beer (brewed by yours truly) and food. Apres vibes I think will still be going on and then of course the restaurant.
snow report
Quote:

Arpette opening on the 23rd.

I hope they continue with their Wednesday evening meals and moonlight descent.

It looks as if we will get to Les Arcs on the evenning of the 21st and it looks like a bit more snow will have fallen by then. If not the snow cannons appear to have running at full blast anyway. It looks like a good start to the season. The photos, with one exception, look fantastic @rob@rar,
snow conditions
timlongs wrote:
There is going to be a snack bar/shack thing selling takeaway cans of craft beer (brewed by yours truly) ...
Good to hear they’re going with local produce!
ski holidays
Another very cold day, and significantly quieter than Sunday. Piste conditions mostly excellent, easy to access off-piste is all tracked-out and full of exposed rocks. Hopefully the snow over the next couple of days will make the off-piste enjoyable rather than a lottery with your ski's bases. All in all, a great start to the season.

I visited the Mountain Animal Museum in the Vallandry gondola top station for the first time today. Small, but I thought they had done it very nicely. I've often wondered what the animals look like that so many of the pistes and lifts are named after, and this shows lots of examples.

This is a Dahu, which is the name of my nearest lift in Arc 1800. Today I learned that it is an entirely imaginary animal. Who'd have thunk it!

New this season is a light and sound installation in the garage space for the Varet gondola. Clever use of dead space during the day, and while it might not be everyone's cup of tea I did enjoy it. It's an 8-minute show on a loop, and for a few euros (3€ if you have an Essential ski pass) it's worth a visit IMO. This is a quick edit filmed on my phone, the real thing is much more impressive and quite uplifting.

http://youtube.com/v/n2iTsg76ut4
snow report
@rob@rar, my first day at LA since March (staying in chantel with a mate): great conditions today, prior to tomorrow's snowfall. Beautiful weather and quiet pistes.
ski holidays
The Dahu looks very much like the Beano haggis. It is quite a pleasant visit
latest report
johnE wrote:
The Dahu looks very much like the Beano haggis. It is quite a pleasant visit
They have a lovely explanation of how to hunt a Dahu:

snow report
My favourite type of Alarm Call. Always good when the snow clearance service wakes you up. I'd guess about 20cm of fresh overnight, and more forecast during the day. Currently snowing moderately, no wind and about -4 degrees. Happy days!

snow report
rob@rar wrote:
My favourite type of Alarm Call. Always good when the snow clearance service wakes you up. I'd guess about 20cm of fresh overnight, and more forecast during the day. Currently snowing moderately, no wind and about -4 degrees. Happy days!

Lucky you. Should make for a fabulous day!!!
snow conditions
Brilliant. Hopefully the fl doesn't drop and it the rain stays away. @rob@rar,
latest report
Morning all, looking great out there right now, I'm flying out thursday for 2 days skiing as a quick break. Am i right in assuming that the lifts currently open are the only ones that will be running this week?
snow conditions
I couldn't resist looking at the livecams this morning and there is lots of snow but not many people about. The odd thing is that looking at the Combettes camera the only people I see are a small group of people learning to snowboard. They have been there the last couple of days. Some of them are children. Perhaps snowboarding is making a comeback Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
About 20cm of fresh snow overnight at 1800m, maybe more. The snow continued through the morning, easing off by 10.30am as the temperatures rose. Avy risk of 4 and poor visibility meant my plan was to stay below the treeline and make the most of the fresh snow on piste, some of which haven't yet opened for the season, and low angle off-piste in the trees. Plan worked a treat, and had very nice conditions, mainly lapping around the Derby chairlift. I was first on the chair and I think possibly the second person on it a lap later, so quiet was it today. I was still skiing fresh tracks on piste (albeit closed) at midday, lapping around a group of ESF instructors doing transceiver practice.

latest report
Unfortunately, temperatures rose through the day, making the wonderful earlier snow increasingly heavy.
Met with @SnowcrazyChris today on the occasion of his birthday.
ski holidays
SnowVillan wrote:
Unfortunately, temperatures rose through the day, making the wonderful earlier snow increasingly heavy.
It did stop snowing earlier than expected and it was bit warmer than I’d dressed for, so I called it at 1pm and headed home for lunch having had the best of the day. Nevertheless, it was good to get another batch of snow to help off-piste depths and refresh already decent on-piste conditions. I think we might get a bit more snow this week?
snow report
Jealous looks great conditions. We'll be there Saturday
snow report
and then it rained!!
ski holidays
@Charliee, snow still looks light and fluffy on the webcams down to village
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
SnowVillan wrote:
It did stop snowing earlier than expected and it was bit warmer than I’d dressed for, so I called it at 1pm and headed home for lunch having had the best of the day. Nevertheless, it was good to get another batch of snow to help off-piste depths and refresh already decent on-piste conditions. I think we might get a bit more snow this week?
A small amount is forecast for tomorrow and Thursday.
The issue is whether low temperatures will remain...
snow report
Conditions less than appealing this morning, with low visibility and currently hovering between showers of wet snow or sleet at 1800m. Dreich. A good opportunity for some domestic chores and see what it's like later in the day as I believe the temperature is forecast to fall a bit.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, exactly what I’m doing! The light over in the 2000valley yesterday was really awful-skiing by braille was the only option. Should have come over to the trees. It was +6 at PreStEsprit.
But a long lunch in the Bulle made up for it.

Snowing in 1950 since 7am, now quite light, even the odd bit of blue. My friend has left early thanks to changed flight times, but also to avoid getting stuck.

The Porcels, who have taken on the Arpette, have sold their 1950 businesses: i’m guessing to help fund the makeover?
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
@rob@rar, exactly what I’m doing! The light over in the 2000valley yesterday was really awful-skiing by braille was the only option. Should have come over to the trees. It was +6 at PreStEsprit.
But a long lunch in the Bulle made up for it.

Snowing in 1950 since 7am, now quite light, even the odd bit of blue. My friend has left early thanks to changed flight times, but also to avoid getting stuck.

The Porcels, who have taken on the Arpette, have sold their 1950 businesses: i’m guessing to help fund the makeover?

They bought a new restaurant in St Foy and the group owns around 60 other restaurants and 2 hotels, so I doubt they need to sell other places to make money? Maybe the 1950 stuff just wasn't performing as well as they'd like. They still have their place in 1800.
snow conditions
A very wet skiing experience today: good snow around Derby and raining in 1600.
latest report
which restaurant in Ste Fot Tim ?.....La bergerie ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy