Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MBT footwear? (not 100% skiing related)

Poster: A snowHead
Keep seeing these shoes advertised down the gym, any of our resident feet folk care to comment on wether it's marketing BS or not???

http://www.mbt-uk.com/

“Masai Barefoot Technology”, or MBT, is the first physiological footwear - that is footwear that has a positive effect on the whole body.

The health and fitness enhancing concept being MBT is based on a simple insight: the human musculo-skeletal system is designed for walking barefoot on soft, natural ground. But we all spend most of our time moving on hard, flat surfaces.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 5-06-06 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may want to change your topic - I was thinking mountain bike footwear - clipless shoes vs flatties etc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gregh, I've friend that has some. She runs a market stall & so is standing all day. She said that they took a bit of getting used to but she now thinks that they're superb.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh, Its interesting to note that 50% of my ACL rehab Physio has been using instability pads - stepping on and off them or standing on them whilst doing other exercises. To develop the muscle groups used in maintaining balance in the foot and the leg. Sounds similar to what these shoes are supposed to promote.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I remember rightly MTB exhibited at last years Ski Show. Seemed a bit pricey & they're not exactly easy on the eye.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They have a curved sole
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh, the idea of MBT is that it helps to promote a more upright (supposedly better) posture, the rocker sole also encourages a shorter stride length which causes contrattion of the gluteous muscles which is where the cellulite burning claims comes from.....

i know some people who love them and some people who hate them, from a purely biomechanical point of view they have their place but they are not for everyone, you could do a lot worse than save your money and do some core stability excersises. Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
everything is 100% ski related is it not?

Sophie has a pair and likes them. No idea whether they have any effects however - although she does walk faster in them (a good thing).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregh, I posted a similar question last year about these after seeing some in a shop near work and being 'sucked in' Puzzled by the marketing - you may want to search for that thread as some of the comments made there may be helpful.

[Edit - this is the thread http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=171106 ]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am wedded to mine. Bought a pair last August from She Active in Brighton. Worth every single penny imho. Even considering the sandals and the walking boots because I find them so blissfully comfortable.

As they relate to skiers, see this link:

http://www.mbt-info.com/content.php?id=549

I'm a Pilates instructor, which is how I first found out about them. So it's not as if I'm not doing a load of core stability stuff anyway wink They definitely help with posture, and when I took up running in March, that's what I used (but a bit too heavy once I stepped up the distance). And walking in them stretches out the calves without the need to do any specific stretching exercises before a run. I still take off my running shoes and put my MBTs back on the moment I leave the gym. And I can spend all day on my feet in them and not get backache (which is why I got into Pilates in the first place).

And (being girly here) either they help get rid of cellulite or my body has spontaneously rid itself of it for the first time in 20+ years.

I agree that £125 is a bit pricey for suck-it-and-see, but given price-per-wear, it's probably the cheapest footwear I own.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've talked to 3 people who own them and they all rave about them ~ I'm very tempted.

They do them in light blue suede in Sweaty Betty's in Brighton which I think could look good in the summer, and you can get them in bright red leather! Possibly more likely to appeal to the girls though...

clara_jo, the cellulite claim is pretty impressive, esp as you must do loads of exercise already ~ even more tempted now! £120 in Sweaty Betty's.... mmm...

Does anyone know of anywhere you can get them cheaper?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No - everywhere I have found them sells them at around the £125 mark and you can't buy them online either (to do with the fitting/learning to walk thing). As you're in Brighton, pop into She Active just to compare with Sweaty Betty's.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another thumbs up from me....I have been wearing MBTs for a few years. As I know my size I get them now from ebay where there is a pretty active market for them, they sell for £70-90.

Btw in Germany MBTs are a medically certified product which means ppl there can get them on prescription....they are not just hype but backed up by some good research.

However you need to be body aware to get the most benefit and change your walking gait quite a lot,ie smaller steps and walking along the outside edge of your feet. As I am also doing Pilates I find that these shoes are great complementary tool.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My sister had a problem with her shins, hurt a lot walking (maybe related to over-development caused by fencing, years ago). She tended to throw her foot out too far in front - she was aware of the problem but it's hard to change one's gait consistently. She found the MTBs helped a lot, and now wears them whenever she has a lot of walking to do. She has the plain black trainer style, which are OK with trousers. I guess the people selling them on Ebay are the ones they didn't help!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, as I said it takes a bit of effort to get used to them....seems some people cannot be bothered and then blame the shoes which I do not mind one bit if they are my size Razz

The shoes are not exactly good looking, but you should have seen their first models a few years ago....they were really ugly!
latest report
I also noticed on ebay that quite a few people sell the shoes b/c they bought the wrong size which is very easy to do. The shoes need to be fitted quite tight in the front with the toes almost touching the front (unlike conventional trainers). The walking (or should I say rocking) motion of the MBTs keeps the foot fixed in the heel pocket thus the toes do not need extra space in the front.
snow report
Another supporrter for MBTs. I use trainers with custom insoles for the gym and running, MBTs most of the rest of the time.

I have found that my balance has improved no end - I can stand a lot more stabley on one foot - even when I am wearing my "unstable MBTs.
My calfs are stretched nicely all day.

The only down-side is that I bought thme fpr my back pain - which is unchanged Sad
snow report
Quote:

The only down-side is that I bought thme fpr my back pain - which is unchanged

i rest may case, claims from a shoe that it can solve back pain are a little far fetched... I am not saying that it cannot releive symptoms in some people but the manufacturers claims are a little sweeping Little Angel
snow report
Just bought a pair this weekend... the nice blue suede ones that Skibod mentioned
http://www.mbt-uk.com/
Wore them for the recommended half hour and could feel that my calves were working, and my posture had to be better else I wobbled!
ski holidays
I've been wearing them for about a year now for my two mile round trip walk to/from the station every day. Balance definitely improved. If you are a commuter it is a real challenge to stand sideways to the direction of the train's travel (facing the window) and get something from the overhead racks. I hadn't thought about shin splints but haven't had it in all the time I've been wearing them when I used to suffer before.
latest report
mountain mad, oh no! I really want to buy a pair now...
ski holidays
I suggested that they also ought to do them in pink - and then they'd really be flying out of the door!

p.s. it was Sweaty Betty - what a fab shop - ended up spending a fortune!
ski holidays
mountain mad, I'd never heard of Sweaty Betty before but just been looking at their website. What great gear they have there! I can see me popping down to the one at Soho, loaded with my credit card! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
If its like the Bristol one then its lovely - great sports stuff (that is supportive on the upper half!!!!!) as well as looking good.
Range of prices - so some things were expensive and then others like some cute vest tops were a bargain!
Assistants were friendly and really helpful when trying on the shoes.
Apparently in winter they have a small selection of snow stuff - so I'm bound to go back!
snow conditions
I assume of course that any new gear will make my exercising much more effective Toofy Grin
snow conditions
mountain mad, cathy, I bought some surfy shorts there the other day (when I saw THE SHOES) and they do have loads of great stuff - could have spent a fortune! And the assistants were all really friendly as well.

mountain mad, keep us updated on the MBTs over the next few weeks!

Sounds like a daft question, but did you get your normal size or bigger / smaller? someone higher up the thread talked about sizing and i just wondered if they came up differently than 'normal' shoes?
latest report
I ended up going down a size - apparently they should be snug like a ski or snowboard boot with no heel lift.
Although initially I wanted my usual size 6 because they felt right - I was persuaded to get the snugger 5 1/2 which are fine now I'm used to them.
(Have decided to wear them at work as thats when I wear shoes the most - so have smart outfit on and then if anyone looks at my feet it will look strange - but I don't care - better posture and legs are so much more important!)
snow report
Cathy - of course the gear makes a difference!!!!
have dropped from 16 to 14 recently so want to show off the lighter me with some smaller tops instead of big baggy t-shirts!!!!
Next challenge from 14 to 12 I know is going to be a bit harder...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountain mad, Laughing well done on the size drop, that's great when that happens, a real boost. I think new outfits richly deserved as a reward! Very Happy
ski holidays
mountain mad, that's useful to know about the shoe sizing - cheers for that.

All the best with the other sizing thing! snowHead

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 30-06-06 11:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Ventured into Sweaty Bs yesterday eve - and my credit card came out a bit lighter Confused . But my work outs will be so much better now! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Good shop isn't it!!!!!!

Went to the gym for a workout in the new trainers last night and i could only manage 10 mins on the treadmill - and most of that was fast walking rather than jogging...

Update after a week of wearing - work in office - but always walking around to different desks/floors and i'm no longer conscious of them being different to any other trainers. Legs do seem a bit more tired but that could just be me trying to imagine a difference!

Now just need a longer time period to decide if they have had any impact on legs - although it has an immediate effect on posture - I'm sure I'm holding myself better rather than slouching as much...
ski holidays
Looks like we might be getting a corporate discount on MBTs at work - MBT will visit work and have individual appointments with those interested. Prices will be £69 for Work Well & Live Well ranges and £49 for Start Well.

Any other comments on how effective they are? Any long term users? Do people use them for daily use or in the gym?

(This thread has reminded me I must get back into that gym! Evil or Very Mad )
ski holidays
cathy, Shocked Paid £125 for some last week Shocked Shocked . I am mega impressed. They make you stand and walk very upright and are really working the calves without me realising it. I have had a nasty achilles problem for a few years now and have tried all sorts of cures but these shoes seem to be building calf strength with no irritation to the tendon. Great for the back as well.

I am a true convert........so far
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Shocked they did say the RRP is £129-£149. Don't think I could bring myself to pay that much but for £50-£70 I could well do! Do you wear them all day?

MBT need 200 expressions of interest Shocked before they'll come to work and offer the discount so we've had to do an email vote thingy - I hope there's lots of Yesses!
ski holidays
cathy, I have now had my MBTs for over a year and wear them all day at work, usually not at the weekend. They are durable and comfortable.
Contrary to what I said above, I think that my back is better since I have been wearing them regularly. As far as I am concerned, the only down-side is the rather "chunky" look - although the initial outlay is high, they have worn better than any other work shoe I have had.
ski holidays
It is noticeable that almost all the medical staff at Zurich university hospital wear MBTs and they're on their feet all day. Hmmm, with my tight calves and lack of ankle flex, maybe it's something I should investigate?
latest report
Filarinskis in Havant have just started stocking MBT shoes. I've been avoiding the place recently (50% sale on, might be too tempting) but I need new trainers and I might go and try some. I borrowed my sister's for a short walk last year, and found them fine, but they were too expensive to contemplate when I had just bought new trainers!
snow report
Hurray! We got our 200 expressions of interest and my appointment is set up Very Happy

If anyone else works for a larger organisation it might be worthwhile contacting your HR to see if they could arrange this. There is no cost to the employer, the discount purely comes from MBT.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy