Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teen Ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just before Covid, I thought I had youngest sorted, got him a nice set of Black Crow Magnis in 157 for his Christmas..... for the very limited time he has spent on them (20 days) he loves them but Covid really stopped him get big number of days on them.

As with every Teen now a days he is so tall 5'10" maybe 5'11" but he is just turned 15,

Question to those that have done this before, Do I get him Men's Ski's (should we really have mans/womans skis?) or are they going to be to stiff, he is a fairly strong & weights about 70Kg.

Any suggestions? he is a technically good piste skier & wants to go more off the side rather than full off piste he likes the magnis width of 90, so what lenght should I be looking at?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is the answer not paper round/Saturday job and whatever he wants to buy?

90mm seems good err on the longer side of the 2 recommended lengths for his weight/height if he is technically strong and only likely to put on muscle Think that probably is likely to put you mid-hi 70s in a freeride ski at least.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FWIW. My view is this:

I'm about his height and slightly lighter - so if a competent skier, I'd be looking at Men's skis that err slightly on the more playful side....so would probably avoid Nordica and Blizzard.

The width depends on how much of the time he spends "playing" off to the side of the Piste....so you'd be looking at an AM ski.

Most of the time On Piste: 86mm
Mixture of On/Off: 88 - 90mm
Off the side as much as possible 90 - 93mm

As for size - ideally around 170 - 175
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi- kids grow. It is very annoying. I'd suggest not feeding him.

As for the skis. Just turned 15 and 5'10"-5'11" and 70kg. Do you think he'll grow a bit more? I'm guessing yes. So unless you are expecting him to get through a pair of skis a year then perhaps think of both the present and near future. Alternatively rent? All that said it rather depends on your budget and how cheerfully you'd splash the cash for new skis again soon.

As for width and length, really who knows any more? Not that long ago 74mm plus was off piste. Just after that Salomon Guns, an excellent off piste ski were a mighty 90mm and the various other 1080 variants all skied well off piste at 80-85mm (albeit a bit wobbly on piste and ice).

I'd suspect that the best investment in terms of improving performance on and off piste and in the side country is tuition rather than the precise ski in question. Then again dependent on budget - new skis and tuition?- Just noticed your location- and guessing you have a place in St Gervais. Have you thought about joining any of the local ski clubs? For example Multiglisse in les Houches? If you approach them you might possibly get a discounted ticket for him plus access to their training for teens / kids during the holidays and they might even give a discounted rate. (Possibly- my eldest did this but he was training for telemark racing and Seb Mansart is both the GB Telemark Coach and helps run Multiglisse).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy