Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots/bindings recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Managed to snap my bindings on the last day of my last trip, at the end of the season (fortunately noticed just before they caused me a massive issue). They were K2 Cinch and I really liked them for ease of loading, but it seems to be quite hard to replace them at the min.

By coincidence, my boots were also due to be replaced (getting well worn) and I've got odd shaped feet and have always found Thirty Twos fitted my feet better than others.

I know I've got to go and try them etc, so won't be buying cold online, but wondered if any of you had used Burton Step Ons much and how you found them? I'm really finicky and am often tightening the ratchet parts of the bindings and wondered if they felt like a responsive fit? Also, my mind tells me they'd be really hard to get back on if you had to click back in in thicker stuff, so is that an issue, or is it just me imagining something that isn't a problem?

For reference, I normally spend about 3 weeks on snow per season, have been boarding for about 25 years and ride a Superpig mainly (which I love).

Cheers, PPF snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
porkpiefox wrote:
... I'm really finicky and am often tightening the ratchet parts of the bindings and wondered if they felt like a responsive fit? Also, my mind tells me they'd be really hard to get back on if you had to click back in in thicker stuff, so is that an issue, or is it just me imagining something that isn't a problem ...
My mates with them tell me they're more responsive - but that may or may not be what everyone wants. I ride heli powder regularly with those guys and no one ever has a problem. That said, the same's pretty much true with traditional bindings; it's just a bit of technique. It's extremely rare to take a binding off mid-run, but I don't think it's any different from what I've seen in deep snow whatever you're using.

I'd definitely try some out though - not everyone likes them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig wrote:
porkpiefox wrote:
... I'm really finicky and am often tightening the ratchet parts of the bindings and wondered if they felt like a responsive fit? Also, my mind tells me they'd be really hard to get back on if you had to click back in in thicker stuff, so is that an issue, or is it just me imagining something that isn't a problem ...
My mates with them tell me they're more responsive - but that may or may not be what everyone wants. I ride heli powder regularly with those guys and no one ever has a problem. That said, the same's pretty much true with traditional bindings; it's just a bit of technique. It's extremely rare to take a binding off mid-run, but I don't think it's any different from what I've seen in deep snow whatever you're using.

I'd definitely try some out though - not everyone likes them.

Great thanks, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear and yes, I always try stuff, but I'll only get a chance in a fridge and I was looking for some real world feedback, so that's much appreciated.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@porkpiefox, Not tired them personally - bought all new boots and bindings not too long before Burton released the Step-on, but everyone I know who has used them now swears by them. I would say that they do seem to have a good resale market from what I've seen on E-Bay etc so if you do decide to go for them but don't get on with them, I doubt you'll be out of pocket for very long.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@porkpiefox, Not tired them personally - bought all new boots and bindings not too long before Burton released the Step-on, but everyone I know who has used them now swears by them. I would say that they do seem to have a good resale market from what I've seen on E-Bay etc so if you do decide to go for them but don't get on with them, I doubt you'll be out of pocket for very long.

Great thanks. It feels like a big change to the norm, so it's good to hear how others have found them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@porkpiefox, contact K2, they sent me repair pieces FOC. If no joy send me a PM, pretty sure I have some mint cinch's in storage I might be persuaded to flog.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just switched to modded dynafit TLT6 AT boots and spark dyno DH bindings, on a 169W solution Very Happy Enjoying the convenience of step on and the weird looks I get are amusing. The whole setup goes quick and can definitely hold a high speed carve.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
K2 cinch are far from responsive bindings. To much moving parts and power input is not direct. Step-ons will be miles better in responsiveness.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kosmoz, no worse than any strap binding. It's boot fit and construction that governs input response and control . . . and ALL of that is secondary to skills and fitness. You have to rememberbthat it all started on grip tape and a nose rope. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The OP was specifically concerned with responsiveness.

In my experience it's the combination of boot & binding together which is the important thing.
Something to consider if switching from a floppy to less floppy binding.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a pair of Step on bindings & Swath boots (2019 edition) just before COVID curtailed everything, so haven't ridden as much as I would like, but have managed 4 trips with them now.

Previously I had a pair of Burton Moto's with Salomon Pact Bindings and a Salomon Pulse board, but for some reason I really struggled with that setup, I sold all my gear and rented for a season or two then moved onto the Step on's with a Burton Ripcord and my riding has improved dramatically (admittedly its not a like for like comparison as our daughter us now bigger and wants to spend every last minute on the slopes so we spend vastly more time than before).

However, what I would say is that although the Swath is the softest boot available in the Step On lineup (or at least was in 2019), my setup is so much more responsive than any other setup I've tried (which admittedly isn't many), however its far from stiff and unforgiving.

The boots themselves are fine and comfortable, however where the toe cleats are it can feel a bit squashed at times, so thats something to bear in mind (as you won't be able to tell this when trying on in the shop). I'm not sure if the newer boots are different or not, as I know the actual bindings have been updated since (its also worth noting that the 'wide' fit boots simply have a wider inner, the actual shell is the same).

In terms of convenience, they are less faffy, but still a bit faffy, although I suspect over time it becomes more seamless. I find unstrapping oddly sometimes feels tricky, especially at the start of the week as you sort of need to step forward as you step out and it takes a while to get the motion right. Additionally strapping in (or stepping on rather) is fine on a flat, but if there is even a bit of an incline it can be a bit tricky, at least until you get the hang of stepping on whilst on the move (which frankly I have not yet perfected).

So overall, I'm pretty happy with the setup, although I'd be slightly wary as you mention you have odd shaped feet and that may (or may not) present an issue with the cleats (that you simply wouldn't be able to notice without riding for a few hours).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had step ons since 2020 so admittedly haven't been able to use them a huge amount with the pandemic but I've generally enjoyed using them.

They're great when getting off a lift especially if you have skier friends but I agree with @vjmehra, that getting out of them can be a pain with how you have to twist your foot. I do miss just being able to quickly unstrap and take your foot out while coasting towards a lift, I'm sure it is possible to do it while moving but I haven't managed to do it yet.

In terms of responsiveness they're really good but you're completely locked in and I do miss some of the lateral flex you get with strap bindings. I'm really considering getting some Nidecker Supermatics instead for next season as they look like a really good balance between the convenience of step ons and the functionality of straps.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
infinite_lemons wrote:
I've had step ons since 2020 so admittedly haven't been able to use them a huge amount with the pandemic but I've generally enjoyed using them.

They're great when getting off a lift especially if you have skier friends but I agree with @vjmehra, that getting out of them can be a pain with how you have to twist your foot. I do miss just being able to quickly unstrap and take your foot out while coasting towards a lift, I'm sure it is possible to do it while moving but I haven't managed to do it yet.

In terms of responsiveness they're really good but you're completely locked in and I do miss some of the lateral flex you get with strap bindings. I'm really considering getting some Nidecker Supermatics instead for next season as they look like a really good balance between the convenience of step ons and the functionality of straps.

Thanks all for the comments. I've been too busy with work to have had much of a chance to look yet, so will spend a bit of time now that I've got more of a chance.

I also found the Supermatics over the weekend, so they're intriguing me at the min.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There’s also clew bindings.

No experience of them but got chatting to a guy on the lift last week who was using them and said he liked them. The back half of the binding stays attached to your boot and then just step on the base and the whole lot clamps together. No special boots needed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
strapping on regular bindings is not hard. Especially to an advanced, with better rachets. Entry level bindings are harder to manuevre in the strap to a rached, more expensive ones are easy. There is also Flow bindings, which are even easier and response is excellent, footprint is reduced, this is a go to bindings for hardboot carvers, when they are riding in softboots. IF you are not fit enough, that you struggle strapping in a traditional bindings, then riding is very dangerous for you, since you are unfit, overweight, you struggle for ballance and are dangerous for yourself and everyone around you on the slope.
snow report
remember seeing Clew bounced around a while back - do they actually have a product now - back then it was a website, a 3D printed mockup and a fever dream
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
remember seeing Clew bounced around a while back - do they actually have a product now - back then it was a website, a 3D printed mockup and a fever dream

I saw a guy using them. Interesting idea. Looked quite clever from a brief look on a lift, although I would be concerned about wearing out the heel cup end by walking around on it.

A quick google shows a couple of retailers in the Uk.

I’m loving riding hard boots on spark dynos. Just ordered a pair of phantom slippers, going all in on it Happy
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
... I’m loving riding hard boots on spark dynos. Just ordered a pair of phantom slippers, going all in on it Happy
Welcome to the real dark side wink
latest report
philwig wrote:
hang11 wrote:
... I’m loving riding hard boots on spark dynos. Just ordered a pair of phantom slippers, going all in on it Happy
Welcome to the real dark side wink

Been a revelation for the uphill, but considering I'm on home moulded 35 quid 4th hand AT boots with a lot of holes drilled in them, I'm actually really surprised by how well the setup rides, even inbounds on groomers. The step on thing is a bit of an unexpected benefit too.

Can't wait to get on the phantoms but not sure they will make it from murica and through customs before the end of our pretty average season here.

I'm supposed to be up on a heli tomorrow and a couple days next week, and seriously thinking about fruit booting for at least a day in some proper terrain, to see how it all goes.
snow report
The Burton step ins are a revelation for me. Maybe because i often board with skiers but it takes away so much of the stress and despite what people say i do believe strapping into normal bindings is a pain.

i love being able to get off a chair lift and just step in while moving and just head straight off.

also I have had no issues getting out of them. Very similar to getting off cycling pedals in that all you do is twist and lift.

I will definitely never go back to strap in bindings.
snow conditions
Bit late coming to this discussion, but my tuppence would be that if ThirtyTwos suit your feet shape, then Burton boots might not. Would I be right in my assumption that you have wide feet and narrow ankles? Puzzled

If you do want to give the Step Ons, or other stuff a go, I'd recommend getting along to Big Bang Snowboard Show at Tamworth Snowdome on Saturday 29th October.

Pretty sure Burton had Step Ons there last year to test and Thirty Two were definitely represented too.
ski holidays
just my opinion but, i stay away from all those step ins, great for clippin in fast ish, but as soon as a bit of powder, major epic. when you fit a step-in to your boot in your front room, perfect, after a few hours on the snow, ice builds up, some crushed snow etc, becomes a pain.

I tried flows when they first came out, then sold them 5 days later.

the more moving parts in the binding, the more things that can fail.

look at what the seasonaires use, the instructors and the experienced guys.

avoid the brigham sales pitch.

me: my first season, cartels, failed 2 weeks in. bought rome 390's. strap snapped at week 3 or 4 ish then bought ride rodeos (now called c-8 and c-9).
every season since and demos etc, ride.

now i have ride c-8 and c-9, for both on and off piste and the c-8 for anything involving landing, bit more flexible etc.

just my experience and hope this helps.

boots: depends on the feet, narrow or wide etc.

i use Northwave decades, and yes, they last the whole season including climbing up the mountains. really are awesome boots)
snow conditions
Did a heli day a few weeks ago with a guy using step ins. Felt sorry for him. Loads of hassle with them icing up and trying to get them on in tight entries.

Probably fine for on piste cruising but a big no for anything exciting.
latest report
hang11 wrote:
Did a heli day a few weeks ago with a guy using step ins. Felt sorry for him. Loads of hassle with them icing up and trying to get them on in tight entries.

Probably fine for on piste cruising but a big no for anything exciting.

The old style Step Ins? They used to ice up bad. The boot would ice up after walking in some snow.
Step Ons have a different locking mechanism that lock the either side of the toe-box & the heal.
snow report
Nah the latest shiny ones. The poor guy was having a hard time with packed snow building up. It was a pretty deep day so mostly couldn’t clear snow to get strapped in.

Also lots of trouble getting them to engage when there was nowhere solid to stand - eg legs dangling over a ledge or sluffy steep snow
latest report
hang11 wrote:
Nah the latest shiny ones. The poor guy was having a hard time with packed snow building up. It was a pretty deep day so mostly couldn’t clear snow to get strapped in.

Also lots of trouble getting them to engage when there was nowhere solid to stand - eg legs dangling over a ledge or sluffy steep snow

It is about technique. What works for me is to either clear/flatten the snow with the board, or bind one foot in with the board being propped up with the other leg. I have never had a problem. Get the heel locked & pull the board quickly & firmly while rocking the foot side to side. Never had an icing up problem - but that could be alps snow - which is not as fluffy as Japan & I am going to assume NZ snowHead
snow conditions
I’m sure they are fine in the circumstances most people will use them

Specifically we were perched on a rocky ridge with deep snow and no fall down one side. Too dangerous to stand up to strap/step in so had to hang legs over the edge with boards hanging in the air. Easy enough with straps, a bit of a drama by all accounts with step on. Really not the sort of situation you need to be mucking around with equipment dramas, but really not going to be an issue for most people.
latest report
The new season step ons have a few minor tweaks which users seem to like. The majority of riders in the race I watched yesterday were using them, as were the majority of the race organisers. We had a chat about that, because it's a big change. Everyone said the same thing: they used them because they ride better- not because anyone wants to get in and out of the things all the time. The simplicity and ease of use is a secondary benefit; they'd still use them even if you had to faff with them as well.

As for heli, ride what you want, but step ons are taking over there too. Much to the delight of the average guide who has to pack the things into a basket, and who's fed up with dealing with broken strap bindings.

All bindings are "fine", and of course people should make their own choices. Strap bindings may have been "fine" for the last three decades, but step ons give more control and work better at heli operations.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lol'ing at step ins giving 'more control' Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
before you buy bindings you have to find the boots. So first step find the apropriate boots
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy