Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain biking in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
philwig wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
... Most people have a laptop that's completely overkill for their needs. Nobody needs a car that does silly speeds or has crazy acceleration. 99% of people don't need their speced out goretex jacket. ... To be fair to cyclists it's a sport where you can buy performance. ... maybe they can justify the cost.
If think most people don't buy these things for the reasons you're assuming there.

My car does silly speeds and has crazy acceleration. It exists to demonstrate I'm no longer poor, not to compete with boy racers.
"Performance" is only relevant because it costs a lot of money to own it: it's not what you're really buying.

I think skiing and cycling are both a bit different, but that's an easy example to illustrate the basic point.

But certain things in common - there's a certain status to holdiaying in VDI or Courchevel over say Risoul. The whole business model of Strava is built on "showing off" over and above "training aid".

None of it is really different from any other form of consumer goods. Is a Smeg objectively better than a Bosch? Or just more desirable and higher status?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
......The whole business model of Strava is built on "showing off" over and above "training aid".....

Last year, it was reported Strava had 72 million users, but this figure has now increased to 95 million across 195 countries, with 17 per cent of the UK population using the app.

Feck me that's a lot of people showing off Laughing

I suppose these guys are all showing off too Laughing

And as for my time on that segment is that showing off Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought an unnecessarily nice carbon road bike because I thought it was a beautiful machine. Both the bike and art budgets were involved. At the time, the feather weight was new and intoxicating, and 16 years later it still is. I just wish my neck wasn't 16 years older....

As an aside, there is a fantastic engineering parable that works in many contexts, but using bikes is very understandable:

You can have any two of lighter, stronger or cheaper, but you cannot have all three.

strong and cheap? then its heavy
strong and light? then its expensive
light and cheap? then it won't last

I'll wager lunch that a certain someone will try and shoot this down, I'll tell you if my guess is correct!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
... Most people have a laptop that's completely overkill for their needs. Nobody needs a car that does silly speeds or has crazy acceleration. 99% of people don't need their speced out goretex jacket. ... To be fair to cyclists it's a sport where you can buy performance. ... maybe they can justify the cost.
If think most people don't buy these things for the reasons you're assuming there.

My car does silly speeds and has crazy acceleration. It exists to demonstrate I'm no longer poor, not to compete with boy racers.
"Performance" is only relevant because it costs a lot of money to own it: it's not what you're really buying.

I think skiing and cycling are both a bit different, but that's an easy example to illustrate the basic point.

I'm glad my self confidence is not so low I have to overcompensate with an expensive car NehNeh

Weathercam, I suspect a lot of those millions have a Strava account, but don't really use it (id be an example - I just use it as an intermediary to get data from watch to intervals.icu). I'm not sure millions of users means people aren't using it to show off in some way. Look at apps like Instagram - millions of users showing off in some way.

Imo Strava is all about racing and competition, but perhaps you have a different view. There will always be an element of "showing off" in that. For the pros it's part of developing their brand and getting more sponsorship.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
I bought an unnecessarily nice carbon road bike because I thought it was a beautiful machine. Both the bike and art budgets were involved. At the time, the feather weight was new and intoxicating, and 16 years later it still is. I just wish my neck wasn't 16 years older....

As an aside, there is a fantastic engineering parable that works in many contexts, but using bikes is very understandable:

You can have any two of lighter, stronger or cheaper, but you cannot have all three.

strong and cheap? then its heavy
strong and light? then its expensive
light and cheap? then it won't last

I'll wager lunch that a certain someone will try and shoot this down, I'll tell you if my guess is correct!

How could anyone argue with the truth? Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sharkymark, since when has that stopped anybody? Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy