Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 22/23 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Meteo Tarentaise , issued a short update tonight re next weeks weather , briefly is all over the place but the trend is wet and warming , expecting snow level Wednesday to be mid mountain around 1400/1600m , could see a significant jump on Thursday but what is clear is there is going to be considerable precipitation with no new snow to the valley floor , also worried about avalanche activity . Expect a forecast on Monday and a special on Tuesday when the situation becomes much clearer . The Googled translation was really odd tonight so not worth cutting and pasting .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rob Mackley, Pretty much what I said on the Tignes thread. Google not required!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's expected in alpe d'huez???
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Joshsnowfiend wrote:

50cm+ for anything south of A43 & North of D1091 wink
Ideal if you are going from the 18th.
11th-18th looks like a carnage of a week!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gored wrote:
Joshsnowfiend wrote:

50cm+ for anything south of A43 & North of D1091 wink
Ideal if you are going from the 18th.
11th-18th looks like a carnage of a week!

In what way? Heading to La Ros and weather next week was looking so hopeful lol
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh no! But why would 50cm be bad for adh? Isn't the snow expected next week?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/

Here’s the pressure chart showing the depression going through the alps on Wednesday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, and you give traffic reports Very Happy
Could be pretty bleak for some but least it looks like the base at altitude will be more than added too which is crucial if we are going to see the full season out
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry guys really have no clue about forecasting just keep an eye on this thread and windy occasionally - going la plagne on the 25th wondering on current forecasts what conditions I could expect.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clintt15 wrote:
Sorry guys really have no clue about forecasting just keep an eye on this thread and windy occasionally - going la plagne on the 25th wondering on current forecasts what conditions I could expect.

Too far out. No one knows. Models can’t yet decide what the FLs this coming week will be.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
13 Dec
davidof wrote:

it is generally a slower start to the season in the French Northern Alps compared to the last few years probably due to thermal lag with the very hot summer and autumn

1st Feb
davidof wrote:

Doesn't look like much is on the horizon for the Isere mountains before the middle of the month, at least.

14 Feb
Quote:

Dashed wrote:
davidof wrote:
Could be some sustained snow/rain in the second half of March in the French northern Alps. Sunny (more or less except around 4 March) until then.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

If you're right that far out then it's nothing more than a lucky guess.

Looks like another lucky guess is coming off. After predicting no snow in the first half of February at the start of Feb

. Who needs squiggly lines?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 5-03-23 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So it's looking good for iesere, alpe d'huez etc????
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Joshsnowfiend wrote:
So it's looking good for iesere, alpe d'huez etc????

depends on the snowline, what are the current predictions? 1800-2000m? 1800 would be good.

Isere is in drought restrictions so rain is much needed. The Chambon reservoir below les Deux Alpes is dry.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you so much for this
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Joshsnowfiend wrote:
Thank you so much for this

To who/what are you referring?
snow report
You Northern (French) Alp guys need to look at this Very Happy

https://www.skipass.com/meteo/alpes-du-nord/
latest report
Oh man. That looks like alpe d'huez will get nothing!!!
snow report
Watching the wiggles with seemingly a fine line between neck deep snow or knee deep puddles.... what sort of volatility do we have in freezing levels at this point? Off to Flaine, so a freezing level of 2100+ is rather suboptimal! Been trying to find a forecast I like but struggling!
snow report
Skiyeah wrote:
Off to Flaine, so a freezing level of 2100+ is rather suboptimal! Been trying to find a forecast I like but struggling!

why don't you wait till you arrive and look out of the window? Unless you are planning on changing or cancelling.
snow report
Exactly, the number of people who stress about weather when they have no intention of changing plans.

It will be what it will be, you'll be in the mountains, enjoy it!
ski holidays
Sorry I thought this was the forecast thread not the look out of the window thread.... like most skiers on here looking at weather in anticipation is a second hobby
latest report
Skiyeah wrote:
Sorry I thought this was the forecast thread not the look out of the window thread.... like most skiers on here looking at weather in anticipation is a second hobby

the forecast is for precipitation from midweek.

Get a better hobby if it stresses you out.
ski holidays
Hilarious that on a "Weather Outlook Thread" that has run to 43 pages people are told to not to stress about the weather and to look out the window to see what it's like.

Grumpy sods.

As it happens, I have booked yet and my change my plans so I guess I can carry on Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Skiyeah wrote:

the forecast is for precipitation from midweek.

Get a better hobby if it stresses you out.

I don’t think there’s a better hobby?
latest report
Layne wrote:

As it happens, I have booked yet and my change my plans so I guess I can carry on Laughing Laughing

auf Englisch bitte,
snow conditions
@Layne, davidof is a grumpy troll at times, try not to bite
ski holidays
franga wrote:

that's a bit pathetic
ski holidays
@leggyblonde, yeah I know and it is Monday morning.

@davidof, yeah reading that back it's not my best writing work. But as I say it's Monday morning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@layne your fine. Enjoy the ride.
ski holidays
So back to those FLs.....
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
franga wrote:

that's a bit pathetic

Calm down - it was a joke.
snow report
The reason for this model volatility is ‘Sudden Stratospheric Warming’ (“SSW”). SSW is a sudden and extreme warming of the stratosphere that happens every now and again (and not necessarily every year) which has a knock-on-effect on the troposphere below.

In short, SSW increases the chance of disruption to the conveyor-belt of mild westerly winds that are the default pattern over north-western Europe, and can lead to a greater chance of a ‘blocking high’ over Greenland or Scandinavia and outbreaks of cold arctic/polar air from the north or east.

Because it doesn’t happen very often and is still not fully understood, weather models struggle to properly accommodate SSW events into their forecast, which is one of the reasons why there has been so much uncertainty as to how things will pan out in the Alps this week.

Until a few days ago it seemed likely that a surge of arctic air would make it all way down over the Alps and that any snow would be falling to very low levels. Over the last few days, however, things have changed and, while it still looks likely to become much more unsettled (especially later in the week), the rain/snow limit is now forecast to be much more volatile, and potentially quite high at times.

As things stand, the Alps are going to end up in a mild westerly airflow this week, with snow at altitude in the northern and western Alps, but with an increasing risk of rain lower down. In fact, quantities of snow could be very significant, as could quantities of rain. High winds are also likely to cause disruption at altitude.

In the meantime, snow depths remain considerably below average across most of the Alps, especially in the Swiss and northern French Alps. The only part of the Alps with near or even above normal snow depths for early March is close to the southern French/Italian border where the resorts of the Queyras, Isola 2000, Prato Nevoso, Limone Piedmonte and Prali all deserve a special mention
It is still possible to find some perfectly good skiing in other parts of the Alps but, as a general rule, natural snow cover is now patchy or non-existent at low altitudes. If you are planning to book a late season ski holiday you really need to be looking at somewhere where most of the skiing is above 2000m, if not higher.
latest report
@Warrell1, You might like to credit weathertoski.co.uk unless it’s you.

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/
ski holidays
Quite right. I meant to but the non mobile friendly 25 year old UI on here posted before I was able to include the reference. Thank you for doing it for me
latest report
@Warrell1, welcome to SH's... but don't start slagging it off on your second post wink snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
“SSW” Slippery Slope @Warrell1, Very Happy snowHead
snow report
I've been on here for probably 15 years under another name. The security lapse a couple of years ago caused me considerable inconvenience..... And the tone of its postings appears to have deteriorated. I was trying to supply some useful information but instead I have attracted the attention of a resident troll Eh oh!
snow conditions
Couple of random/stupid questions, that hopefully one of the experts will take pity on me and answer.

Am I right in thinking that snow will fall up to a temperature of about 2C - so that if the freezing level is at 2000m, then snow will still fall below that as long as the temperature is at or below 2C. Or is that a little too simplistic?

Also, does wind chill impact anything at all i.e. if the temp is 3C, but the wind chill is -1C. Does that mean snow or rain? Or am I grasping at straws too much?!
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Couple of random/stupid questions, that hopefully one of the experts will take pity on me and answer.

Am I right in thinking that snow will fall up to a temperature of about 2C - so that if the freezing level is at 2000m, then snow will still fall below that as long as the temperature is at or below 2C. Or is that a little too simplistic?

Also, does wind chill impact anything at all i.e. if the temp is 3C, but the wind chill is -1C. Does that mean snow or rain? Or am I grasping at straws too much?!

These are exactly the kind of questions I have too (being a bear of little brain).

The other dumb question I have is some sites forecast precipitation in mm others in snow depth. I know snow density makes a massive difference but is there a general rule of thumb for conversion?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 6-03-23 15:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
This is a good reference - https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/snow/how-does-snow-form
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy