Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 22/23 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Is the following week 11-18 any clearer?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@viciousvulture, it's pretty impossible to say with any certainty that far out, and plus from this weekend we could be entering into quite an unsettled period, which makes it even harder to say!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Exceptional numbers for February published by Meteo Tarentaise , 99% deficit in rainfall !

Eh oh! FEBRUARY EXCEPTIONAL ON THE TARENTAIS:

Eh oh! On this screenshot of the station of Bourg Saint Maurice, we notice the exceptional month of February that we just came to know, we decrypt together:

+1.3°C: This is the excess of the monthly average minimum temperature, it should be -3.3°C and is for this month of February at -2.0°C, i.e. +1.3° C from the 1981/2010. normal.

+5.3°C : This is the average maximum temperature for the month, it should be +7.3°C, and it is for this month of February at +12.6°C, i.e. +5.3°c from the 1981/2010. normal.

-99%, this is the rainfall deficit recorded in Bourg in this exceptional February, only 0.8mm of rain fell (in 1 day, 22/02).
For a standard of 86.1mm over the period 1981/2010.

+44%, this is the surplus of sunshine in Bourg, normal of 124h.

Eh oh! And let's not forget the leetchi potty for those who want to join me for the project of installing weather sensors on the Tarantaise and Haute Tarantaise, the link https://www.leetchi.com/fr/c/lNLA8NVD

Romain VIVIANI from Météo Tarentaise

Our partner R’les Arcs la radio station
( www.laradiostation.fr )

Climatological Table (Infoclimat)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Those troublesome "leechi pottys" Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure if the snow just likes to annoy us, 3 ski trips in last year & snowing every bloody time we get there (including the one time this year it basically snowed properly in mid Jan), which is fine unless you are driving at night. Looks like another fun journey on 10th March to NW alps though I’m keeping my fingers crossed we get a dry patch but even the bbc is starting to show snow on the maps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rh2205 wrote:
Not sure if the snow just likes to annoy us, 3 ski trips in last year & snowing every bloody time we get there (including the one time this year it basically snowed properly in mid Jan), which is fine unless you are driving at night. Looks like another fun journey on 10th March to NW alps though I’m keeping my fingers crossed we get a dry patch but even the bbc is starting to show snow on the maps.

I can sympathise esp if you need to stop and fit chains in bad weather at night (its a real bummer).............however I wouldnt be hanging my hat on any nailed on snow forecast for > 1 week out.

2 days ago there were some forecasts predicting 65 cm next Wednesday alone in Tignes / Val, yesterday it had dropped off almost entirely on that day, and this morning they are back to overnight snow Tuesday into all day Wednesday but a bit less.

Its all over the place, so I wouldnt start worrying until the middle of next week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Driving to Arlberg from Zurich in the evening of the 12th. I always take a snowchains kit when renting, hoping it will come to use. Thick rubber gloves, headlamp and a plastic foil to kneel in order to avoid getting soiled in the mud.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rh2205 wrote:

I’m sorry but how can you complain the snow is falling at a ski resort in the winter? We’ve just come off a very long dry spell, let’s be grateful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rh2205 wrote:

The absolute horror and inconvenience of snow falling at ski resorts in winter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rh2205 wrote:

Suggest you take up another hobby.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rh2205 wrote:
Not sure if the snow just likes to annoy us, 3 ski trips in last year & snowing every bloody time we get there

I completely understand what you're trying to say - but possibly a poor way of phrasing it, especially in a poor snow year. It's never going to be received well!

That said, if you're some kind of snow magnet and are due out on the 10th March, then that can only be good news for the rest of us! If you could book in a few more trips this season we'd all be grateful!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^and tell us where you're heading to.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella,
Quote:

Those troublesome "leechi pottys"

Shocked Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rh2205 wrote:

I understand what you're saying, we all want the ideal conditions of bluebird days right after a dump and if you've experienced the above 3 times in a row then it must be irritating. I only have 3 days to Ski this year and heading to Les Menuires on 11th March - long range is looking like 100% cloud cover and snow all through my time there so I'm a little gutted also!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But @brownbown, weren't you saying that you struggle in fresh snow and flat light? Sounds like the forecast is perfect for a lesson or two to fix that problem for you. Toofy Grin
latest report
mgrolf wrote:
But @brownbown, weren't you saying that you struggle in fresh snow and flat light? Sounds like the forecast is perfect for a lesson or two to fix that problem for you. Toofy Grin

For god's sake Laughing

Although in truth, yes, i've had to adjust my own expectations instead and approach my excitement from a different angle!
snow report
Get winter tyres!
latest report
It’s the snow when driving I'm complaining about I do the entire 13hr drive with kids in the back of the camper, next week it’s even worse as I’ll have an in law on board too & don’t enjoy the conditions I always seem to end up in. Husband is unfortunately not good at driving long journeys, I guess I’d rather trade off some snow for safer travel conditions, so yes I agree snow is always welcome just not when I travel! But if I hold up all the traffic once again because I’m a snow magnet I’ll let you all know..
snow report
I honestly can’t fathom you complaining about snow when going skiing. It’s part and parcel of the whole thing. If you don’t like driving in it then fly.

Sorry, but struggling to have the faintest hint of sympathy here, particularly this season.
ski holidays
@Rh2205, you'd be very unlucky to have snow for the entire drive, but they are forecasting colder conditions next week in the UK, safe travels and hopefully not too stressful for you
latest report
Definitely getting a snowy cold feel from the charts now from second week of March.
snow report
@Rh2205, Well coped with the reply’s .I hope your drive goes well and is incident free, that it snows before your arrival , stops and starts again once you are safely at your destination .

On your side is that it’s now march and after a fairly warm couple of weeks the tarmac has absorbed a lot of warmth I’d expect that once it’s stopped snowing the roads with the help of snow ploughs and salting will melt pretty quickly .
snow report
Haha, well this is why this trip was booked for March we flew earlier in the year to avoid the higher risk snowfall at my request. When we drove last April snow was on the French motorways nowhere near the alps whilst I was driving & ever worsening conditions as we got closer so I’m expecting the worse now Eh oh!
latest report
@nozawaonsen, yep there’s some grounds for optimism again - and good attempt to get thread back on track…
latest report
@Inboard, It’s seems some have jumped to the “is March the new Jan thread “
snow conditions
Rh2205 wrote:
Haha, well this is why this trip was booked for March we flew earlier in the year to avoid the higher risk snowfall at my request. When we drove last April snow was on the French motorways nowhere near the alps whilst I was driving & ever worsening conditions as we got closer so I’m expecting the worse now Eh oh!

Fit winter tyres!! Driving on snowy mountain roads is part of the experience!
snow conditions
Dumping in Baqueira tonight snowHead

Avoid this resort Rh2205 Toofy Grin

Jokes aside, I hope you have a stress free journey with your family.
snow conditions
Not looking as good as it was even yesterday Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like some exceptionally cold upper air over the UK next week snowHead
ski holidays
@Joshsnowfiend, depends where you're looking, Chamonix seems to be improving every time I look.
ski holidays
I am looking at Austria from March 11. Heavy rain in most western ski destinations, FL at 2000+.
In my specific case, Arlberg
snow conditions
@drporat, too far away at the moment, im also on the arlberg at a similar time.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Joshsnowfiend, depends where you're looking, Chamonix seems to be improving every time I look.

I hope so, but seems to have suddenly got warmer?
ski holidays
Rh2205 wrote:

On the other side of the coin I travelled late January / early February this season for the best chance of fresh snow and got nothing in 2.5 weeks Sad
snow report
NW France looking super wet on the latest runs.
latest report
@zzz, Bit too warm for my liking, it will swing around mind
snow report
I'm in la Rosier this week - what are people's thoughts regarding the snow/rain line for the precipitation from Wednesday onwards?
Looks like it could get wet but I'm no weather expert.
snow report
I'm off to Wengen March 15th and it's starting to look better I think (I have no skill in meteorology) - but here's the real question. Given that I can only pack 1 pair of skis, do I take my new(ish) Volkl Deacon 84s and run the risk of a rock on the piste or do I take my older, Salomon GT24 pros and not worry so much about the bases but wish I had taken the Volkls? #FirstWorldProblems
snow conditions
Corsica is getting pounded at the moment

over a meter in some parts of the south with snow cover from 900 meters but maximum avalanche risk for skiing with massive windslab waiting for anyone brave enough to ski - bluebird day tomorrow.

snow report
This is not looking good for my trip to Avoriaz next week!

Locals are predicting heavy rain, and if that washes what little snow there is left away, that's going to be a problem...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy