Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas Trip Help

Poster: A snowHead
nelliefj40 wrote:
Thank you all. I do understand I am planning a trip for one of the busiest times of the year.

You all or correct that choosing flights would limit the available options. I'd have done so if not for some airline hassles I am dealing with.

I have now bounced from austria to the Dolomites as some suggested above. Perhaps in the Val di Fassa (off the Sella ronda) to perhaps mitigate crowds but still have good infrastructure.

Any thoughts on that option?

Hopefully flights will be booked in the next few days.

Cheers.

How far down the Val di Fassa? Alba, Canazei and Campetillo are all major uplifts to Sella, but still within reach for places like San Pellegrino and others:

https://www.opensnowmap.org/#map=11/11.682/46.366&b=snowmap&m=false&h=false

But thinking about your mother and wife I still think Corvara on the other side of Sella is better for their skiing abilities and Venezia is within reach.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair Pink, once again thank you for the excellent information. Looking like we'd be flying into Milan.

Any thoughts on crowds dolomites vs say zillertal?

Do you have any specific towns you'd recommend for lodging in the western Sella Ronda region?

Thanks again!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hyst, thank you for the continued input. We were looking at staying in either Predazzo Moena or Canazei.

Are you thinking the skiing near Corvara would be easier in general than in the Val I Fassa? That would be good for my wife/mother but less of interest to the kids. I'm guessing my mom would only try skiing one day.

Any thoughts on crowds in one area versus the other?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nelliefj40, Don't dare to judge the difference in crowds. Alba has a good uplift to both sides and a good parking area.

Corvara (Alta Badia) has easier slopes, but that does not mean you can not find more difficult slopes for you and and the kids - there are many possibilities.

And you can make a meetup at Passo Falzarego to have lunch at Refugio Lagazuoi https://rifugiolagazuoi.com/IT/p5-Inverno.

http://youtube.com/v/Wpf8xXeItNA

https://www.opensnowmap.org/#map=12/11.904/46.523&b=snowmap&m=false&h=false

I have never stayed in AltaBadia - only in Val di Fassa and Val Gardena, but skied the hole area many times.

And you could make a meetup with the driving part at Passo Falzarego for lunch on Lagazuoi https://rifugiolagazuoi.com/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nelliefj40 wrote:
@Alastair Pink, once again thank you for the excellent information. Looking like we'd be flying into Milan.

Any thoughts on crowds dolomites vs say zillertal?

Do you have any specific towns you'd recommend for lodging in the western Sella Ronda region?

Thanks again!

I don't think there'll be that much difference as regards crowds between the two areas.

In the western Sella region then in Val Gardena Selva/Wolkenstein is directly on the Sella Ronda circuit, however Ortisei/St. Ulrich is the prettiest of the towns in the valley and has its own good ski areas on both sides of the town; the Seceda on one side with a lovely 10.5km long red run La Longia back down to the town, and on the other side is the Alpe di Suisi/Seiser Alm which is the largest alpine meadow area in the Alps with extensive blue runs. Ortisei also has a 6km long toboggan run from the top of the Resciesa funicular on the which your non-skier might like (as well as the easy skiing and walks on the Seiser Alm). Here's a video on YouTube of the LaLongia run:
http://youtube.com/v/ldOY-5La_5o

You can of course ski from Ortisei via the Seceda plateau down to St Christina ( which is at the bottom of the SassLong Men's Downhill course with its famous camel bumps) and then on to Selva/Wolkenstein, but if you want to get to the Sella Ronda quicker you can always drive from Ortisei to Selva (about 10 minutes in a car).

Other towns on the western side of the Sella Ronda circuit are Canazei and Campitello.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, Ortisei is an other option with very easy slopes on SeiserAlm (and a nice swimming pole) https://www.mardolomit.com/en/map a bit like in Wagrain https://www.wasserwelt.at/de
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
nelliefj40 wrote:
Any thoughts on a town to base in in Austria with smaller resorts we could drive to each day that might mitigate crowds? I've found a couple good rental options in Landeck but I'm guessing there are many such places with potentially better smaller ski options?

It is New Year week, everywhere will be busy.

People are suggesting that you go to big resorts that have the lift capacity to cope with crowds.

Your basic strategy is go big and for the best lift systems that get you up regardless (and then be prepared to deal with overcrowding on pistes, particularly if snowmaking restricts opening)

OR

Go for ski hills that aren't so much on the tourist map and which will only have regular local visitors (though school hols will obviously increase family and ski school at all hills) There are lots of these around the Inn valley for instance.

Local tourist bed base vs lift capacity is a decent metric you can look at.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Zell am See here. Easy to get back into Salzburg for the non skiers, you can do it by train in around 90 minutes and access to lots of smaller ski areas if you wanted to explore other resorts. Plus it's very pretty.

We're booked to go to one of those little sister resorts from the 23rd to the 30th December.

A thread on another forum recently said that Austria tends to be more snow sure than France at Christmas because it's more inland and the climate is different.

This one here https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/skiing/4550644-is-this-a-crazy-plan-take-dcs-skiing-at-christmas
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you once again for all of your help everyone. We've flip flopped back and forth and have landed on skiing Austria. I'm concerned about crowds but a few factors led us to that decision:

- We likely will travel with friends to the dolomites in a couple years to ski so I wanted to go someplace different
- the non skiers were more excited about austria
- one of the kids ski coaches will be in Austria at the time and mentioned meeting up to ski for a day

So that now decided we are flying into Munich on Dec 26 and back home Jan 5.

I think we'll base near Landeck for a portion of the trip and then a 2nd location. Options we are considering for the 2nd location are Bludenz, Seefeld, Oberstdorf, Garmisch.

Thank you all again.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nelliefj40, if you're flying into Munich airport then I expect you'll be collecting a rental car from the airport. You'll find that renting from there at that time of year the cars will be fitted with winter tyres/tires, which is always reassuring. One thing to bear in mind when you collect the car there is to mention that you'll be taking it into Austria, some of the rental companies charge a small extra fee (about 20 Euros from memory) if you're taking the car outside Germany. Also to use the motorways in Austria the car needs to be either displaying a vignette sticker on the windscreen/windshield (which you can buy at filling stations near the border) or although I've never used it they've recently introduced an online digital version where you enter the vehicle license plate number. Fortunately they do vignettes of different durations, the cheapest is the 10 day one which costs € 9.60. If after your long transatlantic flight you're staying the first night somewhere in Germany and don't enter Austria until the next day then I reckon the 10 day vignette should just cover your dates. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, thank you for this assistance. You are correct, and I should have mentioned, that we will be renting a vehicle from Munich.

Excellent info regarding the tires, vignette, and rental fee.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nelliefj40 wrote:
Thank you once again for all of your help everyone. We've flip flopped back and forth and have landed on skiing Austria. I'm concerned about crowds but a few factors led us to that decision:

- We likely will travel with friends to the dolomites in a couple years to ski so I wanted to go someplace different
- the non skiers were more excited about austria
- one of the kids ski coaches will be in Austria at the time and mentioned meeting up to ski for a day

So that now decided we are flying into Munich on Dec 26 and back home Jan 5.

I think we'll base near Landeck for a portion of the trip and then a 2nd location. Options we are considering for the 2nd location are Bludenz, Seefeld, Oberstdorf, Garmisch.

Thank you all again.

Bludenz is a nice choice. You have many option round...
But Seefelld is not something really exciting althouth it is very nice
Garmish is a small town. Obrestdorf really nice, but both of them will be REALL OVERCROWDED.

Maybe Radstadt? for Skiamade, Flachau, Zauchensee, OBertauern ....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@turms2, thank you! You're thinking Garmisch and Obrestdorf are really crowded?

I'll look into Radstadt.

Glad to hear Bludenz may be a good choice. A nice altstadt would be nice for the non skiers. Does Landeck have that?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am I right in thinking that, as you say, it is a very bad time for crowds in Garmish and Oberstdorf due to the four hills ski jumping event around new year?

Seefeld - never skied there, seems to be a very limited ski area, but brilliant for walking in the summer
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
countryman wrote:
Am I right in thinking that, as you say, it is a very bad time for crowds in Garmish and Oberstdorf due to the four hills ski jumping event around new year?

Good point, here's the dates. Oberstdorf 28th & 29th December, Garmisch 31st December and 1st January.
ski holidays
I had seen something about the four hills ski jumping event. Good to know. We wouldn't necessarily mind seeing some type of event be it jumping, nordic,...but not sure we'd want to deal with the crowd for such things.

Thanks again.
snow conditions
Last night I booked our accomodations.. We'll be staying in Landeck and Bludenz.

Thank you all for your help.
snow report
@nelliefj40, Hope you have a great trip! snowHead
latest report
Have a great time
ski holidays
Hello,

Getting very close now and I'm watching the weather forecast for western austria. Looks warmish and wetish!! Or at least in the valleys? This is our first ski trip to Europe so I just don't knlw how impactful this will be on our skiers.

We are flying in to and out of Munich but do have flexibility in our lodging. Are any areas looking to have better (colder/snowier) weather from Dec 26-Jan 4) vs where we are planning to be? We'd be willing to drive up to 6 hours from Munich to find better weather while still (as much as possible) mitigating queuing at lifts.

Or hopefully I'm fretting over naught and those more knowledgeable can provide assurance that our plan is as good as can be reasonably had given the regions forecast for the time period.

Thanks!
snow conditions
Obergurgl will be good.
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Obergurgl will be good.

Thank you! I suppose along a similar line of thinking kuhtai and kauternal also ought to be good given their elevation?

Thanks.
snow report
You'll absolutely love Austria @nelliefj40. It can't be beaten in terms of ambience, lovely villages - and coffee and cake shops! (known as Konditorei).

In terms of sightseeing between Munich and Landeck, you'll be passing some lovely options, next to the motorway. It would be a shame to not visit some nice places after coming all the way to Europe wink

- Innsbruck: Gorgeous town - a mix of lovely old-town and modern shops, restaurants etc.

- Hall in Tirol: Seemingly little-known by ski tourists (UK ones at least) but absolutely beautiful and apparently has a bigger old-town than Innsbruck.

- Rattenberg: Perfectly formed little town on the banks of the River Inn. Lovely for a half hour wander round and a cup of coffee in a nice Konditorei.

Then there's the lovely Austrian food that you can try. To name but two dishes:

- Wiener Schitzel - A big, flattened piece of veal or pork, covered in breadcrumbs and deep fried. Served with chips (that'll be fries to you sir!).
- Kaiserschmarrn - A type of dessert comprising chopped up pancake and currants with icing sugar on top. Served with cranberry or apple sauce.

Have fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
@nelliefj40 what did you decide? Obergurgl looks good on cams. Saalbach-Hinterglemm looks okay also. Do send a piste report when you get there please.
latest report
Quote:
@nelliefj40 what did you decide?
I think we've heard nothing definitive in terms of resorts since August, when nellie wrote:
Quote:
Last night I booked our accomodations. We'll be staying in Landeck and Bludenz.
latest report
@mountainaddict thank you for the information above, it's greatly appreciated!

Well definitely be visiting innsbruck and will put hall in tirol and rattenburg on our radar also!

I've got a big list of ski areas we are still considering. Given the pending rain/heat we're probably going to be looking higher.
From Landeck were looking at Obergurgl kuhtai kaunertal are all possibilities. Nauders, Galtur, Scoul Motta Naluns, and See/Kappl were on the list.

From Bludenz thinking Damuls, Warth, Silvretta or possibly Bradnertal/Pizol.

I'll report back.

Hoping for Cold!
latest report
nelliefj40 wrote:
@mountainaddict thank you for the information above, it's greatly appreciated!

Well definitely be visiting innsbruck and will put hall in tirol and rattenburg on our radar also!

I've got a big list of ski areas we are still considering. Given the pending rain/heat we're probably going to be looking higher.
From Landeck were looking at Obergurgl kuhtai kaunertal are all possibilities. Nauders, Galtur, Scoul Motta Naluns, and See/Kappl were on the list.

From Bludenz thinking Damuls, Warth, Silvretta or possibly Bradnertal/Pizol.

I'll report back.

Hoping for Cold!

Obergurgl will be absolutely fine for snow - and lift queues are barely existent there. Also Solden will be fine and 20 mins closer than Obergurgl. Starts a bit lower but goes as high (though the glaciers need 5 lifts to get there).
latest report
Cheers @nelliefj40. All of those resorts would be a good shout. Of the lesser-known areas, See and Kappl are particularly great. Kappl has a massive vertical and some nice, varied skiing. We've been to See twice and found it very quiet on piste. It has a fantastic blast of a (steep) black run to the middle station and a fairly new gondola serving lovely, remote-feeling runs over the back of the mountain.

Weather and snow conditions permitting, the local area of Landeck ('Venet'), could be worth a look too. Some nice top to bottom runs and another quiet area.

If the freezing level is high, Obergurgl and Sölden will be good choices. Then there's Ischgl - where you can tick off another country by skiing down into Switzerland.

Choices, choices!! Looking forward to your trip report! Very Happy I think the scale of it all will just about blow your mind Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you both for the info! I had ruled out Solden and Ischgl over queue concerns.

Any thoughts on what type of lines might be present in term of wait times?

Venet is on the list too, I just didn't know how impacted it will be with the warm and wet weather?

We can't wait!
snow report
Ischgl has the best lift system in the Alps, save possibly Saalbach - almost everything is fast chairs. But it can be busy and you can get perhaps 5 min queues tops at times.

Solden I’ve only skied in January and April - generally little queuing apart from if you try to go to the glacier at the wrong time - very big queues on a linking 4 seater

For no queues you cannot beat Obergurgl, but Ischgl and Solden skiing more extensive.
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
Ischgl has the best lift system in the Alps, save possibly Saalbach - almost everything is fast chairs. But it can be busy and you can get perhaps 5 min queues tops at times.

Solden I’ve only skied in January and April - generally little queuing apart from if you try to go to the glacier at the wrong time - very big queues on a linking 4 seater

For no queues you cannot beat Obergurgl, but Ischgl and Solden skiing more extensive.

More great info! I can certainly handle a 5 minute queue even if I'd prefer not to.

Given all this we'll definitely be hitting ischgl and obergurgl. The rest I'm nkt sure on. Kappl sure sounds lovely and for some reason Nauders was quite appealing to me.

Thank you once again for the continued information. For a first time alps skier it is greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
Ischgl queues only really at a couple of places getting away from Idalp. Plenty of places where there are no queues or next to no queues.

Skiing is mostly red. Swiss side generally a bit quieter. I like the small area of reds to the south of Alp Trida. The Smugglers Run in to Samnaun is fun but it’s a bit of a pain getting back (very flat at the bottom getting to the cable cars). Red 7 used to be a bit of a hidden gem on the Ischgl side down its own valley but they chucked a new fast chair on the return so much more used now.

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl skiing a bit easier than Ischgl with very little really difficult (just 100m off the top of the Wurmkogl is all that is really black in my opinion).

Both Ischgl and Obergurgl are high for non glacier resorts with almost everything above the tree line. Great snow, but can be a bit exposed (have skied in -25C across the top of a ridge in Ischgl - and those ridges can be windy)
snow report
First report. Yesterday went to Kaunertal. Snow generally good low crowds. Unbelievably low. Flat light and some ice late in the day.

Today went to Kuhtai. Icy and significant crowds! We made due but won't be back there.
ski holidays
Not sure if this means you're enjoying The Alps and Austria or not @nelliefj40! Laughing

Bit puzzled as to what 'unbelievably low' means re. Kaunertal - but we did find the vertical there to be quite limited when we were there for a day last winter. Hell of a drive to get up there too - not one we'd rush to repeat in view of the limited ski area.

Looking forward to more reports Very Happy
snow report
Oops...unbelievably low crowds. Didn't wait for a chair then entire day!

We are enjoying it even given the ice and crowds. Whe you home ski area is 150 vertical feet and maybe 2km of pistes we can deal with alot.

Obergurgl tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
nelliefj40 wrote:
Oops...unbelievably low crowds. Didn't wait for a chair then entire day!

We are enjoying it even given the ice and crowds. Whe you home ski area is 150 vertical feet and maybe 2km of pistes we can deal with alot.

Obergurgl tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

That's what I thought you meant and seemed obvious to me, until I saw why someone else might think otherwise.

Great to have feedback / reports after all the advice you got. Often surprises me how little people manage that. Speaking of which, I really just set aside some time to write about my trip to Lenk... Embarassed

Hope your trip continues in the positive way it has begun Smile
snow conditions
Quote:
We are enjoying it even given the ice and crowds. When your home ski area is 150 vertical feet and maybe 2km of pistes we can deal with a lot
That's the spirit@nelliefj40!

You can't change the weather or snow conditions, so you just have to make the best of whatever you get:
Hill + snow + sliding about = fun (irrespective of vertical available) Very Happy

Keep the reports coming! Have you got an itinerary booked? Or are you making it up as you go?
snow report
Thank you both. No itinerary just picking our location the day before.

Bludenz will be tougher I think as elevations are lower for the ski areas in the region. Doesn't appear to be any glaciers to ski on. Thinking perhaps Damuls, Warth, and Silvretta Montafon.

I'll keep reporting back!
snow conditions
@nelliefj40, I see that you safely arrived in Munich, hope the car rental went smoothly (did they charge a nominal amount to take it into Austria and did you buy an Austrian vignette?)

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it, even if the snow conditions are less than ideal at the moment, but having a car gives you the flexibility of day visits to ski resorts where the conditions are better. I guess you'll have sampled some of the mountain restaurants now, the US has some great ski areas (particularly out West), but the on mountain dining experience is one area where the Alps certainly has the edge in my view! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
The rental did change a nominal fee for traveling to Austria and we did get out vignette.

The on mountain dining is indeed not at all comparable!

Off to a Bludenz tomorrow and and reviewing snow reports for the Voralberg. Disappointing!

Most areas assembled to be half open or less. We'll try our best to continue to stay positive!

Considering the Arlberg as they appear to have more open. I've not considered it previously and am overwhelmed by the scale. Any tips on how best to spend a day? We don't need to cover a significant portion of the area. We'd like to "attempt to" mitigate crowds. Best area for that? Or perhaps Arosa in Switzerland? It's a trek (1:30 of driving) but appears to have much more open.

So options are:

Silvretta
Damuls
Warth
Remainder of Arlberg
Arosa

Thanks all!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy