Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Children's ski school in Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone taken children to Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis in Austria?
I want to book a holiday there, but I'm wondering how my children will get on with ski school. It sounds great, but I expect they will be the only ones speaking English.
Also, they will be 3 and 7 and completely new to skiing. They will not be together because of the age difference (there is a special program for 3 year olds). I'm worried they will not be happy, and that the older one will be stuck with activities for younger children since the beginner group (k1) will be mainly 4 year olds.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it is UK school hols why make negative assumptions? Better just to ask the ski school. Other Euro countries don't automatically learn to ski at age 4 and actually English may be a better common language for a diverse group of 6-7 yr olds.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The place is made for kids, and while there are resorts with more English spoken than SFL, the people you and your kids will be interfacing with will all have excellent English speaking skills. To the extent there are other kids in their class speaking German with the instructor, I'd call that a plus. Your kid can just ignore all that and focus on what they've been told.

"completely new to skiing" means you'll want other stuff for them to do, and SFL has that as well. You've made a great choice, run with it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cantgetenoughsnow,
I've never had a problem with kids instructors not speaking good enough English in Austria. Book early to make sure that you get places!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My daughter has just confirmed, the only one she had trouble understanding was from Lancashire Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did email the ski school today, but I'm not sure if ski schools answer a lot of questions in the summer. The reason I think the k1 group will likely be young is a) the little video clips on their website of k1, k2 and k3 only had pretty small children, and b) some of the entertainment they mention seems aimed at a young age "dance break with Berta the cow, puppet show , etc"
So I decided to ask here for anyone who may have experienced this resort.

We are finding that it's fairly expensive to reach Austria from the UK now (unless you drive) which no doubt will affect the number of UK people choosing these resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
musher wrote:
My daughter has just confirmed, the only one she had trouble understanding was from Lancashire Toofy Grin

Ha ha ha! That's great.
OK thank you. @musher @Scooter in Seattle
That's just the push I need. The place does sound perfect. It's just scary when you've not taken kids before, especially if your child is not very outgoing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you are heading probably to the best ski resorts in Austria for kids.
About the language dont bother at all.
Most of the instructors speak English, and also there are many from Netherlands where they speak also a little bit more English as in AUT
I suppose you booked in Fiss Ski School (Berta is there, Serfaus has Pitzi). Really nice. I think as school is better than Serfaus, however i think in Sefaus you can easily access the black slopes.

Enjoy....you children would have a great time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@turms2, thanks!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
UPDATE : Serfaus hat murmli....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cantgetenoughsnow wrote:
some of the entertainment they mention seems aimed at a young age "dance break with Berta the cow, .

To be honest I am MUCH older and I would be totally up for a dance break with Berta the cow if it could become a mandatory part of the ski day everywhere. Would also be up for a snowball fight with the Schlick 2000 Pirate Marmot. Think I'd have the advantage there due to binocular vision and two sometimes functioning legs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I did email the ski school today, but I'm not sure if ski schools answer a lot of questions in the summer.

Better to phone them - but perhaps they won't have anybody around all the time. Kids cope better than parents sometimes fear with such difficulties. My 4 year old daughter had a completely German speaking class in Austria, years ago, and an instructor who spoke virtually no English. She was absolutely fine, and these days English language skills are more easily found. Her 8 year old big brother was in a beginner class with 4 year olds on the same holiday. Again, mostly German, and he was an athletic boy and quick learner (he's more recently done several seasons). He was absolutely fine too - except the day he was asked to accompany one of the littlies back to the ski school in the middle of the week by a lazy instructor who should have taken the kid there himself. the school kept him captive till somebody came to collect him, and in vain did he try to explain that nobody would, ever, because he was briefed to come back to our apartment on his own - as the lazy instructor was well aware. I found him, eventually, and bailed him out. He now speaks fairly fluent German, perhaps because of this traumatic early experience. A "not very outgoing" child might well cope better than one who wants to be constantly chatting to those around.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy