Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Visa for Brits

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Scarlet, I know this was an issue at Folkestone/Calais originally (an Italian friend had grief with it and ended up with lots of wasted time talking to the Italian border folk who are only at airports not at most land crossings!) but I believe it has been sorted ie hand over your residence card and there is no stamp required but I guess the finer details have not made it to Verona
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarlet, You don't get stopped going in to Andorra to be stamped, but if you don't park up and get passports stamped when you leave and enter France you get hassled by French border control, as "Andorra is not in Europe". So yes, make sure you get stamped in and out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
Slightly off topic, but something that just came up in the pub. A question for Schengen visa holders: what is the deal with passport stamps in 3rd countries? I’ve only travelled directly from Austria to the UK on mine, so it’s not been an issue.

Example: my mate has just returned to Innsbruck after a few months in the UK. He holds a British passport and a Brexit visa for Austria (exactly the same as me). As is common when you live near the border, he returned on a flight from the UK into Verona, and took a train to Ibk. He has used 1 of his 90 days in travelling from Italy, but his passport was stamped with an entry stamp in Verona. He won’t be leaving for a couple of months, and as he doesn’t yet have a return flight, may leave via Munich, Zurich, Innsbruck… What happens now?

surely passport stamps are a red herring in this case, your friend has a visa which allows more than 90 days in Schengen so that's it end of story. A stamp on a bit of paper doesn't make any difference, if they ever get quizzed they just show the visa.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@richb67, its a visa for Austria not the whole zone. The problem is If the authorities think he has been in schengen but not in Austria
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richb67 wrote:
surely passport stamps are a red herring in this case, your friend has a visa which allows more than 90 days in Schengen so that's it end of story. A stamp on a bit of paper doesn't make any difference, if they ever get quizzed they just show the visa.

In theory, that's true, and he has paperwork to show he's been in Austria (Meldezettel, rental agreement etc.) and reckoned he was likely to be out of Austria long enough for it not to matter... this time. But who wants to be pulled over at the border for an interrogation, potentially missing a flight? Also, living in a state with four international borders and the nearest big airports on the other side of them, this is likely to be a recurring problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@richb67, sadly the passport stamps are relevant. Here the individual has a resident permit for Austria (I assume it is an article 50 residence card) that entitles the holder to live and work in Austria and also to travel through the Schengen zone to and from Austria. This gives no more rights than any other 3rd country national with regard to visiting the rest of Schengen ie 90 days in any 180 day period. If for example they wanted to spend 4 months in France they would have to apply for a French visa. In practical terms the only point where there is any check on 3rd country nationals is the external border eg at an airport or in Calais where (in theory) there is a check on how many days they have spent within Schengen and a stamp issued. There are no internal borders so getting a mistaken stamp rectified is painful, those with residence permits are not supposed to have their passports stamped. In general Schengen visas dont exist, permits and visas are issued by individual countries.

This also means that in practical terms for 3rd country Austrian residents (or another country) there are very unlikely to be any checks or issues on how many days they spend outside of Austria in the rest of Schengen as long as they are not in gainful employment.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish & @holidayloverxx, interesting, thanks. I've actually been looking at the Italian elective residence visa which gives you unlimited access to Schengen for travel (not work), the infoi was looking at included Austria so I assumed it was the same but on double checking it's actually a specific type of Austrian visa so I guess some don't have that facility.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@richb67, I would be surprised if any Italian visa gives you rights in any other country besides the right of transit to Italy (for example Italy cant give you permission to be in Spain). I know a number of people in Italy who have permanent residency (getting Italian citizenship is particularly painful) and they have no more rights outside of Italy than any other UK passport holder. One of them is having to apply for a Spanish visa as they want to spend a number of months there. In most cases you would be unlikely to have any issues though Austria is more difficult as there are particularly stringent regulations about registering and they could well spot it if you go over the 90 day in 180 thing. Here in Germany you can get away with a number of weeks staying in a private house without registering.

I might be wrong (happy to be proved so) but as I understand it the only "Schengen" visas are the blue card scheme which are aimed purely at high paid corporate types who would work in multiple EU countries https://visaguide.world/europe/eu-blue-card/ , this does give freedom of movement to the holder and their family but given it requires at least a Masters degree and a firm job offer of about €50k a year it is not likely to help with skiing seasons.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
getting Italian citizenship is particularly painful

As with anything, that depends on your circumstances. With family connections, it's fairly straightforward, although it can be expensive if you need translations etc. and something that I eventually may be able to do myself.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
munich_irish wrote:
@richb67, I would be surprised if any Italian visa gives you rights in any other country besides the right of transit to Italy (for example Italy cant give you permission to be in Spain). I know a number of people in Italy who have permanent residency (getting Italian citizenship is particularly painful) and they have no more rights outside of Italy than any other UK passport holder.

sorry this is absolutely right, I got mixed up. Residency doesn't allow you to travel freely throughout Schengen but citizenship of a member state does. Residents still have the 90 from 180 limit for other EU countries.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
If you have a residence permit for a Schengen country and you are in transit to & from that country you should not get your passport stamped on entry to or leaving Schengen.

That was my understanding, and has been my experience going in and out of Austria, but he flew in on a “holiday” flight with lots of Lake Garda vacationers, and thinks the border guard may have been on autopilot. Or they don't see a lot of Austrian visas down in Verona (more likely in Munich). He said the attitude was a bit “that's nice, but what do you want me to do with it?” when he handed the card over Confused

Flying into an out of Germany I had no issues - showed the Austrian Art50 card, and the border guard confirmed with me that he shouldn't stamp it then.

I did once get it stamped flying into Innsbruck (from the UK), but it was about 5am and both I and the border guard were on autopilot! I went back about 30 seconds later and he scribbled something and a signature next to it.. I meant to check it with the embassy but never got round to it, but then flying in/out of Vienna ~6 months later no-one noticed or checked it.

It probably is worth him checking with the embassy (or local consulate in Innsbruck?) though!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, he’s living near the airport, so I think the plan is to go in there and ask. Good to know you were ok in Germany though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy