Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Kendo 92?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys...

I've been considering an upgrade/additional set of skis and I've seen Eliis Brigham has a sale on.

I have skied on a pair of Fischer AMC76 for the past 10 years or so. Really pleased with them.

I am confident piste skier on any piste and have been skiing since 82

I am not that confident off piste, prod due to opportunity and my current skis don't give me confidence -it's in my head though

I ski in Europe prob 2 weeks a year..... rarely get powder days.... so I'd say 90+% of my skiing is piste

I'd like to get the hardware to provide confidence and search out the opportunity when it's there, even between pistes (within safety blah blah).... but still need the piste ski..... so 70/30

These Kendo 92 look like they fit the bill at at £360

I suppose I'm asking.... does anybody know the Kendos and would you agree with my selection?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gaz_H wrote:

I'd like to get the hardware to provide confidence

This doesn't usually work out very well. The best equipment in the world won't help if you don't know how to use it.

I don't know the ski in question, indeed I haven't really skied any mid-wide skis in recent years, so can't really comment on if it may help, but don't expect it to be a magic bullet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaz_H, hmmm, what @Chaletbeauroc, says. I'd expect it to be a nice ski, for what it is, but it's a bit wider I think than I'd imagine for a mostly on piste ski. But I will admit I ski 100mm on everything these days (mostly).

There are no silver bullets.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got Kendo's - great ski, they do enough on piste to have a great deal of fun without being a full on carve machine, blast through crud and stuff, and enough float off piste. I ski 177s for my 183cm/85Kg plus avvi pack, and have mounted Marker frame bindings. They are heavy on a 2 hr skin, but these days I don't seek out that amount of effort, but come into their own when going through clag and ruts.

At that price you can do much worse than give them a try.

I'm looking at something lighter with pin bindings or Shifts to cope with those longer skins away from the piste, but for a single pair trip I'll stick with the Kendos
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a pair Kendo 88s. Like @Mountain Haddock said, great ski for both piste & the type of off piste you get here in Europe, i.e 30cm pow, chopped up pow, spring snow... It's my go everywhere tool.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Gaz_H wrote:

I'd like to get the hardware to provide confidence

This doesn't usually work out very well. The best equipment in the world won't help if you don't know how to use it.

I don't know the ski in question, indeed I haven't really skied any mid-wide skis in recent years, so can't really comment on if it may help, but don't expect it to be a magic bullet.

Thanks.... but.....

I do know how to, as I've had multiple lessons on a couple bashes..... the problem is it all goes to rat poo-poo when I'm back on my own skis.... as I said it's a head thing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mountain Haddock wrote:
I've got Kendo's - great ski, they do enough on piste to have a great deal of fun without being a full on carve machine, blast through crud and stuff, and enough float off piste. I ski 177s for my 183cm/85Kg plus avvi pack, and have mounted Marker frame bindings. They are heavy on a 2 hr skin, but these days I don't seek out that amount of effort, but come into their own when going through clag and ruts.

At that price you can do much worse than give them a try.

I'm looking at something lighter with pin bindings or Shifts to cope with those longer skins away from the piste, but for a single pair trip I'll stick with the Kendos

Thanks and makes sense. I don't intend to skin, no where near fit enough, nowadays.... could get there I suppose!

With you on price..... got to be worth a punt
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Keeping in mind that you are realistically going to spend 90% of your time On Piste - how much Piste performance are you prepared to sacrifice in order to make Off Piste easier?

Generally speaking (IMO), the easier the ski is to use Off Piste, the more you sacrifice On Piste.

Are these skis replacing what you have, or adding to what you have?

I suspect, knowing Volkl, these should give decent Piste performance, while giving a lot more surface area to help give confidence Off Piste.

I have some Scott "The Ski", which are about the same width underfoot (though wider in the tail). I love them - they do everything well and make Off Piste much easier than a Piste Ski.....but they do sacrifice Piste performance, compared to a dedicated Piste Ski. This is why I also have some Piste skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Keeping in mind that you are realistically going to spend 90% of your time On Piste - how much Piste performance are you prepared to sacrifice in order to make Off Piste easier?

Generally speaking (IMO), the easier the ski is to use Off Piste, the more you sacrifice On Piste.

Are these skis replacing what you have, or adding to what you have?

I suspect, knowing Volkl, these should give decent Piste performance, while giving a lot more surface area to help give confidence Off Piste.

I have some Scott "The Ski", which are about the same width underfoot (though wider in the tail). I love them - they do everything well and make Off Piste much easier than a Piste Ski.....but they do sacrifice Piste performance, compared to a dedicated Piste Ski. This is why I also have some Piste skis.

Thanks they'll be additional. I've ordered them into the Manc branch... so I'll go and take a look...... that usually means buying Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaz_H wrote:

Thanks they'll be additional. I've ordered them into the Manc branch... so I'll go and take a look...... that usually means buying Very Happy

I think they are a good ski at a great price - Enjoy!

Come back and tell us how you get on, when they are used in anger. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So as said above, I'm going to EB to check the skis out..... Next step, Bindings.... I know next to nothing about choosing a set, other then people seem to get Marker ones.... Puzzled

Any advice please,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gaz_H wrote:
So as said above, I'm going to EB to check the skis out..... Next step, Bindings.... I know next to nothing about choosing a set, other then people seem to get Marker ones.... Puzzled

Any advice please,

I like Look Bindings eg. Pivot- But Spyderjon actually knows what he's talking about.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gaz_H wrote:

Any advice please,

Got Jesters mounted on my Kendos - love em btw as single ski quiver, 90mm waisted, twin rockered @184. powder, crud, hardpack, groomed, no probs Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bones, Kendos rock!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gaz_H, I got a pair of Kendo 92's (2020) purposely in a shorter length than I would normally ski (177) and they are now my go to skis for a "normal" day on the mountain. They fit in between the Kendo 88 and the Mantra 96 and allow a slight compromise between both. Having 4mm up/down from Volkl's Twin Layer of titanal that is sitting on top of that wooden core is what Volkl calls their “Titanal Frame”, a combination of two contoured 0.7 mm and 0.3 mm thick metal sheets that run for pretty much the full length of the ski, this is a classic Volkl flat tailed charger. The 92 literally and figurately sits in between two superlative skis, displaying some of the superlative qualities of their pedigree. Got mine paired with Marker Griffon ID 13. Solid and functional.
latest report
skimastaaah wrote:
@Gaz_H, I got a pair of Kendo 92's (2020) purposely in a shorter length than I would normally ski (177) and they are now my go to skis for a "normal" day on the mountain. They fit in between the Kendo 88 and the Mantra 96 and allow a slight compromise between both. Having 4mm up/down from Volkl's Twin Layer of titanal that is sitting on top of that wooden core is what Volkl calls their “Titanal Frame”, a combination of two contoured 0.7 mm and 0.3 mm thick metal sheets that run for pretty much the full length of the ski, this is a classic Volkl flat tailed charger. The 92 literally and figurately sits in between two superlative skis, displaying some of the superlative qualities of their pedigree. Got mine paired with Marker Griffon ID 13. Solid and functional.

Thanks.....another positive
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy