Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel 31/01/2023

Poster: A snowHead
Patiently waiting for the tunnel to open for booking past 31/01/2023 presume they cannot decide what to charge with energy costs on the rise. Looking for solidarity and someone to rub their crystal ball on when they might open booking?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@James77, french energy costs have only risen by 4%.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems odd, they opened up the bookings for Christmas and New Year early and I booked my trip for 26/12 to 03/01 about 4 weeks ago. So by those dates, could be any day now
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bookings are open now!!! Just done mine for Feb!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 16-07-22 10:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kettonskimum, yep just booked 10th to 18th Feb. Not cheap on the flexiplus only option for return c1800 on the 18th.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ouch - I know inflation is running at 10%, but the prices show every indication of a new strategy of gouging as much as they can from customers while the airlines are suffering bad press. Half term crossing last year was £228 for an early departure on the Friday and an evening return the following Saturday, but this time around it is £305 even with a later return to avoid the (** checks sanity **) £387 Shocked one-way fare for peak times with a roof box...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blimey, my tickets were £200 return for Feb half term! But we break on Friday 17 Feb (I fear we clash with Paris week but it's GCSE year so what can you do!) and we ALWAYS cross on Thursday night to avoid chaos.

Is half term for the majority the week before then? Looked at the prices and they are well salty!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cambs half term pretty much always covers Valentine's day, and that seems to be pretty common across the country.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, we're in Rutland and that's always been the case every year for us but not next year!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep just shy of £800 flexi plus return Friday to Saturday. We paid over £200 less last time.
No option of standard fare returning Saturday evening for those not into flexiplus.
They certainly are lining their pockets no idea on losses during covid times perhaps trying to get back in the black.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With the airlines struggling with capacity and P&O in the dog house for their treatment of staff, they seem to have decided that it is milking time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James77 wrote:
Yep just shy of £800.
Yikes, hope the sandwiches are silver service. Alternatively, considering half term weekends are chaos at ET and Border Control, maybe they are trying to restrict availability for flexiplus and reduce demand overall. But this far out you wouldn't expect demand driven pricing to hit those levels.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flexiplus for half term is much cheaper if you buy it as part of a package. I'm seeing around £450 return.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm wondering if this has all been a huge mistake (only offering Flex and no standard prices).

Just looked again and prices have dropped massively!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ousekjarr wrote:
With the airlines struggling with capacity and P&O in the dog house for their treatment of staff, they seem to have decided that it is milking time.
Certainly seems to be so.
They 'temporarily suspended' the eminently affordable frequent traveler scheme during PeakApocalypse and now they say, "Eurotunnel is no longer selling any bundle of tickets under the Frequent Traveller Scheme. We have indefinitely suspended the sale of Frequent Traveller accounts."

And in one last 'up yours schmuck' they thanked me for my loyalty rolling eyes
snow report
@kettonskimum, I thought that when I went back to check, but then realised that the site had remembered me, so when I searched again for my dates and it showed me a peak time crossing for £40, it was offering me the chance to change to that crossing for an extra £40, not showing me a new ticket. Logout and try again - then you can fall off your chair in shock once again
ski holidays
I'm of the opinion it costs what it costs HT you can't expect good value we've done a few different HT trips and each way I cut it it costs c5k for the week I'm not going to get upset about it as I need to ski and with kids options are limited. Maybe we'll do Airbnb that may save cash but all options I've seen are basic or don't sleep 2 adults and 2 boys well and I'm not going to doss it's a holiday and I expect a level of comfort
ski holidays
Just checked ferry v. Eurotunnel for our Christmas to January trip, apart from Ferry not available for those dates - seems 2023 prices not loaded.
Eurotunnel now seem to have a minimum of £110 for Morning crossing and similar ish for late afternoon return home.
So £200 ish for the trip add £44 for the dog so around £250! (Thats a lot of Tesco fuel/shopping/credit card points) added Flexi plus for a laugh - came in just short of £600 Skullie
Add in @x7, post above about FT tickets, there is no hope!
So went to P and O (purely out of interest) and a similar trip with pet lounge etc came in at £230 so for £20 - I'll stick with the tunnel - its almost as if they know each others prices Laughing

However... DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe 4 hour crossing £41.50 each way!
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
@James77, french energy costs have only risen by 4%.

That is for domestic I suspect for businesses prices are very different as they are in the UK
ski holidays
It seems just over £100 it the minimum for one way now, we booked 3rd week Jan 2023 - £107 out £116 back total £223. Just checked my previous two tunnels for the same week in Jan, 2018 was £165 and 2019 £180. Given the pandemic, energy prices and the general increased costs of travel across all platforms, I don't think that is an outrageous increase. For the 4 of us in a diesel, it is still very cost effective and convenient.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Just checked ferry v. Eurotunnel for our Christmas to January trip, apart from Ferry not available for those dates - seems 2023 prices not loaded.
Eurotunnel now seem to have a minimum of £110 for Morning crossing and similar ish for late afternoon return home.
So £200 ish for the trip add £44 for the dog so around £250! (Thats a lot of Tesco fuel/shopping/credit card points) added Flexi plus for a laugh - came in just short of £600 Skullie
Add in @x7, post above about FT tickets, there is no hope!
So went to P and O (purely out of interest) and a similar trip with pet lounge etc came in at £230 so for £20 - I'll stick with the tunnel - its almost as if they know each others prices Laughing

However... DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe 4 hour crossing £41.50 each way!

This thread prompted me to have a look at what it might cost in Jan...The tunnel seems extortion and DFDS seem to be trying to compete with them on price rises..PO seem reasonable @£75 one way and I am waiting to see what Irish ferries do as they don't price beyond October ..I did look at Newhaven/Dieppe and they were about £100 ...all these prices are for single journeys on a Friday
snow report
@DaveD, Only way P&O will win back custom is on price, used them a few weeks back and it was shocking. Only used them as had crossing carried forward from 2020
snow report
Just done a dummy booking to check our normal pre-Christmas prices (out on 10th Dec @ 06:20, back on 23rd Dec @ 16:20). The times we normally go for are all in the £110-115 bracket at the moment, but there are some crossings priced at £93 on both days.

Last years booking was £109 out and £108 back, and not booked till mid November. So things may be a few quid dearer, but nothing too alarming. Yet.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@DaveD, Only way P&O will win back custom is on price, used them a few weeks back and it was shocking. Only used them as had crossing carried forward from 2020

for an hour across the channel I dont really care ..I used Irish ferries in March
ski holidays
Found out today that DFDS are no longer doing their multi tickets where you could buy up to ten for a fixed price and then use them whenever. Gutted.
snow conditions
I've just booked Eurotunnel for the week before Christmas and have been unusually cautious, going for semi-flex tickets so can cancel and refund if it all goes wrong: 271 quid return. Shock So much more than previous years, quite shocked.
snow report
Just booked for HT but thur before ( Love a CPD day) and return on sunday

for £225
ski holidays
Just booked for HT but thur before ( Love a CPD day) and return on sunday

for £225
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked ours for January this morning. £262, including £44 for dog. Used Tesco Clubcard vouchers for £135 of that.
latest report
Feb half term 2019 I paid £478 for Flexiplus.
Feb half term 2023 is quoted as £708, a 50% increase over 4 years. And that's 6 months' away, not 6 weeks when I booked 2019.

Add in the cost of fuel and Self drive is starting to look expensive...
snow conditions
I can't really judge properly, as I either bought Frequent traveller or bought our crossing with Tesco vouchers. Bookings in my account only go back to 2021, and some of them were campervan (and more expensive than our car). It also depended on how near departure was when I booked. I think pre-Covid the minimum long stay fare was about £89 as opposed to the current one of £110.
snow report
Last September we paid £364, but there were 2 dogs on the booking, and we only booked a short time before travel due to the Covid restrictions. I used refund vouchers, so the financial hit wasn't really felt.
snow conditions
Sorry for thread resurrection but can anyone tell me if taking the dog eliminates the advantage for Flexi Plus? i.e. presumably you have to go to the normal pet check-in at the terminal and then join the back of the queue for passports, you can't just whizz past...
snow report
@jma, Yep
latest report
@boredsurfin, much obliged, won't waste the wedge then
snow report
@jma, Nope dogs first then join the queues, same both sides. Pet check in is before 'Frontiers' maybe a small advantage in getting to use the inside lane but if its busy pretty pointless because of the volume of traffic, if its quiet no point as everyone is going straight through...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy