Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boot pains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
For some background, I've got a really high instep and calves with a decently sized arch. Got footed a pair of atomic magna 130s' with custom footbeds. In the shop boots felt good, nice a snug. However after 30 mins on the slopes I had to go in and rip the boots off. Feet were burning like hell. The pain was most prevalent while on the lift and would ease a bit while skiing. My issue is that the boots feel really nice and snug with no real pressure points anywhere. I had the two bottom buckles done very loose so im not cutting off circulation with those. I ended up skiing the rest of the day with the footbeds out which was much more managable however it felt like skiing in buckets with all that extra room. I have had problems with my insteps in the past with rental boots, however I would usually feel that really digging into my instep, pinpointing the problem. These new boots feel really nice and snug, ski really well however are causing agony with the beds in with no real pressure points or tight spots. Increasing more room in the boots helped but my foot barely felt locked into the boot at all. DO you think the guy who fitted my boots would be able to do anything with this info. Or is there some other way I should go about this.
Thanks, Liam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kennl14, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

As a non expert - the issue certainly appears to me to be the Footbeds.

My advice is to go back and speak to the person who fitted your boots and footbeds. There are different ways to build a Footbed eg. standing or sitting...and there are different materials/brands that can be used.

BTW. Welcome to the mayhem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kennl14, Liam, everything you describe sounds like a combination of of a couple of things causing your problems, if you have a large calf muscle it will push you forward in the boot, equally you say high instep, normally that is associated with a tight calf muscle or a limitation in the flexibility of the ankle joint

either of these things can use up all the available range of motion at your ankle before are even stood in your boot..... as a result all the load (as you flex forward) will be transferred onto the ball of your foot the heel will lift a tiny amount and the foot most likely externally rotate inside the boot.... all in all it feels like the boot is crushing your foot to the point of being a nauseating pain

the footbeds may or may not be the cause but it is more likely the body V the boot

there are a number of things that can be done to the boot and possibly a few things that you need to do yourself

1 did your fitter assess ankle joint range of motion ? if they didn't then you probably cant really help you as they don't know what they are looking for

if they did then a few things that might help could be
adding an appropriate amount of heel lift to balance the foot
making the cuff of the boot more upright (depending on the model of magna this may be a simple adjustment)
flaring the cuff more to accommodate the calf size
changing the liner to a spiral wrap aftermarket liner which will give more space for the calf muscle
giving you a stretching and fascial release program to help increase the available range of ankle joint flexion

all in all lots of things that can be done, so don't panic yet!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ OP - Please listen to @CEM who actually knows what he is talking about.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kennl14, I had a similar problem with a pair of boots a few years ago.
I spent the whole afternoon in Show & Frock .. the 3 buckle boots felt great.
On ski holiday after an hour the boots really hurt, first the left and then the right.
I just had to get rid of them..
I suspect that the 3 buckle system was a stupid idea.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a pair of hawx ultra (narrow feet, high instep) and had the same symptoms. Turns out that a number of small veins on the top of the instep were being constricted, and a blow-out of the top of the boot worked. I went to Profeet, Fulham. (the story is actually much more complicated)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kennl14, without drawing any conclusions at this point who/where was the fitter?

Broadly where are you located?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
@ OP - Please listen to @CEM who actually knows what he is talking about.

I second this view! CEM is the guy to see with issues such as this — well-worth a trip to visit him Bister if you can.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrLawn, the right 3 buckle boots can work very well, i suspect the boot you are talking about was the Nordica fire arrow.. this particular 3 clip boot wasn't a good idea... shocking boot, nearly put Nordica out of business, caused more pain and refit work for those who sold it than any other single boot. they did it to try and compete with Dalbello at the time, it failed badly
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

shocking boot, nearly put Nordica out of business

That's a bit OTT, it was a Speedmachine with a modified tongue insert, which i think has been responsible for Nordica being able to stay in the SB business for the last 15 years i'd say.
Otherwise, regards the post, all the list Colin has given you should work a treat, there's some awesome techniques to get that boot more upright, with a wrap liner and a bunch of heel risers, you'll be dandy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CEM,
You're right on the money there, it was a pair of Fire Arrows.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy