Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Less snow making in Italy this season?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just saw this news about Drought emergency declared in northern Italy

The article says that there's been lower rainfall than usual this winter and spring and in some areas rationing measures have been brought in, so the thought occurred to me that this could possibly restrict the amount of snow making this coming season. The Dolomite ski areas have an extensive snow making infrastructure, and on occasions when the natural snowfall has been lacking they have relied heavily on snow making to make up the shortfall and maintain the pistes.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-07-22 13:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if there is a problem, with snow making, that will comes from gas / electricity problems because of the war etc

The water will not be a problem (i think) because we have no idea how much rain will come. e.g. in August, September, Oktober, November etc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, sadly your conclusion seems reasonable, and it isn't hard to believe given the recent slide at Marmolada, where they are still looking for bodies that go with the cars in the lot....

As for the war impacting energy supplies and usage, I am watching with great interest. If I had to skip a season to help bring VVP down I'd do it. Others will have much larger sacrifices to make, while others have already made theirs.

Downer post, sorry. But on the plus side, I did just play 18 in 90 minutes!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The fact that the lower reaches of a river are drying up in summer heat after a dryish winter and spring might not have any impact on a high alpine snowmaking reservoir which no doubt has already caught the snowmelt off its catchment before it ran off into the river system and the Adriatic and is likely full or will fill completely in due course from Summer or Autumn storms.

But I guess the people under drought restrictions on the plains might object to the idea that water seems to be available to run snowmaking facilities whilst they are having to make savings. They would also have to complain to other industries like textiles which use an inordinate amount of water in their processes, but create wealth & jobs for the country as the ski industry does.

I suppose Italian authorities will have to build more reservoirs to catch more water before it runs off if the current reservoir capacity and dwindling river abstraction rates can't match the growing demand.

Energy usage may be more of an issue this winter if the Russian president manipulates gas supplies given Italy's recent dependence on Siberian gas. But again, although I imagine industrial energy use, domestic heating usage, even ski lift infrastructure power consumption would dwarf anything used to pump water to blow snow in a ski resort, the idea of using scarce resources for something seemingly frivolous might cause some arguments.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 7-07-22 0:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@luigi,
Quote:

the idea of using scarce resources for something seemingly unnecessary might cause some arguments.

Isn't there an argument to be made though that ski tourism also has a huge positive impact on the economy?
Both in terms of cash flow and jobs?

Quote:

the people under drought restrictions on the plains might object to the idea that water seems to be available to run snowmaking whilst they are having to make savings.

Fair point, might still be a bitter pill to swallow for some of course
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't know where exactly the Italian resorts source/store the water for their snowmaking, but rivers across the whole Alpine region are running low for the time of year. The low-snow winter is definitely having an effect, and that will have knock-on effects...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
I don't know where exactly the Italian resorts source/store the water for their snowmaking, but rivers across the whole Alpine region are running low for the time of year. The low-snow winter is definitely having an effect, and that will have knock-on effects...

This perhaps??

https://www.wolfsystem.it/prodotti/vasche-in-cemento/snow-tank-per-impianti-innevamento
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy