Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone With A Good Knowledge Of Lyon?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mrs B and I are driving to the Alps next week and are stopping off in Lyon, on the way, for a Rammstein concert at the Groupama Stadium Very Happy .

We are planning to sleep near (or in) Lyon at an aire, in our micro campervan, after the concert.

We will arrive at Lyon on the day of the concert and plan to have a look around the city before heading to he stadium.

Can any of you advise me of a decent spot to sleep in, with good public transport links to Lyon and the stadium? Does such a place exist? Puzzled

We will then be heading to Val Thorens/The 3 Valleys for mountain biking, hiking and via ferrata. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with specific places, but another option would be to park close by for the day in the city and the concert, then drive out of town a bit to find an overnight aire. I can imagine that getting public transport late at night might be an issue. You might want a quieter spot to sleep too.

Parkopedia is a good resource for paid parking

https://en.parkopedia.com/

...and the campervan aires are listed here:

http://en.airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car_recherche.php

Looks like there is lots of surface parking around the stadium, but the question would be how long they would let you stay and how much it would cost. Or you could park somewhere that allows for the height/size of your vehicle for a few hours in city centre, then drive out and park near stadium, might be free for the duration of the concert if you have event tickets, then drive out further to find a quiet spot with a free aire.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IIRC, Lyon is one of the towns/cities that you'll need a 'clean air' windscreen doofer to drive in to without getting a steep fine but I think that the stadium area is outside of that. I think they're cheap enough to buy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister, enjoy the show! I saw them in Coventry and it was epic Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all.

@HandyHand, We've seen them a few times before so it seemed a shame not to incorporate a concert into an Alps trip!

They are indeed fantastic live. I can't wait. Rammstein followed by mountain biking, hiking and via ferrata in the 3 Valleys.

We are booked on the 12 noon ferry on Thursday and are aiming for Troyes that night. We are looking forward to a wander round and a meal out in one of our favourite places. Troyes is stunning. (For those who haven't been, it's like something out of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - a beautiful medieval town).

It should be a 4 hour drive to Troyes from the Channel, with a further 3.5 hours to Lyon on Friday. Then a further 2.5 hours drive to Val Thorens at the weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bergmeister, Will be a busy time traffic wise around Lyon on Friday and Saturday. Friday is a red day and Saturday is a black day according to Bison Fute - https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/webapp/tabs/forecast
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:
Thanks all.

@HandyHand, We've seen them a few times before so it seemed a shame not to incorporate a concert into an Alps trip!

They are indeed fantastic live. I can't wait. Rammstein followed by mountain biking, hiking and via ferrata in the 3 Valleys.

We are booked on the 12 noon ferry on Thursday and are aiming for Troyes that night. We are looking forward to a wander round and a meal out in one of our favourite places. Troyes is stunning. (For those who haven't been, it's like something out of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - a beautiful medieval town).

It should be a 4 hour drive to Troyes from the Channel, with a further 3.5 hours to Lyon on Friday. Then a further 2.5 hours drive to Val Thorens at the weekend.

Troyes is indeed beautiful, we had a very short stop there once. If you have any resto suggestions, I’d be keen to hear them?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skichampcouk wrote:
@Bergmeister, Will be a busy time traffic wise around Lyon on Friday and Saturday. Friday is a red day and Saturday is a black day according to Bison Fute - https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/webapp/tabs/forecast

Thanks for that link - I'm headed to Alpe d'Huez on Friday, from Caen. I'm wondering if it makes sense to route via Paris or via Le Mans and Tours. ViaMichelin had suggested to go via Paris.

To keep on thread, I'll go to Lyon on the way back, spending the night there on Friday 15th.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tomj, I would avoid the big cities at a weekend at this time of year going South.
The schools in France finish this week so those lucky enough to have the time will probably head South along with the Dutch, Belgium, Swiss and Germans heading to Spain.
Admittedly, not quite as busy as the first 3 weeks in August, but probably not a quiet drive down.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JamesHJ wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Thanks all.

Troyes is indeed beautiful, we had a very short stop there once. If you have any resto suggestions, I’d be keen to hear them?

We have eaten out only once in Troyes (in 2019) and it was so warm that we literally wanted to "eat out." However, it was quite late so our al fresco options were limited at that time. We ended up dining at a place called Le Chat Noir, which was a tex mex, burger, pasta/pizza place. We were surprised how reasonably priced the food and beer was and, as it was right on the pedestrianised main street, it was very atmospheric. It felt a bit like the Troyes version of Wetherspoons, though the food was tasty enough Very Happy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bergmeister, I was at the Groupama a few weeks back to see West Ham in the 1/4 final of the Europa League. The transport is really good and there are special free trams when they have events at the stadium. Funnily enough our son who lives in Lyon is going to that Rammstein concert ( i think it was postponed 2 yrs cos of covid).
Because of the good transport in Lyon, I'd say park anywhere you fancy. You are allowed to park camping cars in regular spaces so long as you do not "camp" in them which as I understand means extend the step, open the awning etc... Many of the nice car parks along the banks of the river have height restrictions, but if your van is normal height (1m90) I'd be tempted to park up in the city in one of the car parks by the river, as it will be easy to get back to after the gig.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WindOfChange wrote:
@Bergmeister, I was at the Groupama a few weeks back to see West Ham in the 1/4 final of the Europa League. The transport is really good and there are special free trams when they have events at the stadium. Funnily enough our son who lives in Lyon is going to that Rammstein concert ( i think it was postponed 2 yrs cos of covid).
Because of the good transport in Lyon, I'd say park anywhere you fancy. You are allowed to park camping cars in regular spaces so long as you do not "camp" in them which as I understand means extend the step, open the awning etc... Many of the nice car parks along the banks of the river have height restrictions, but if your van is normal height (1m90) I'd be tempted to park up in the city in one of the car parks by the river, as it will be easy to get back to after the gig.

I'd be tempted to park around the INSA as it is summer holidays and there is loads of space. Avoid being too near Tonkin. You can catch the tram from INSA into town or walk across the parc de la Tête d'Or. If you have any problem with le Plod just say a few words in Romanian and they'll leave you well alone.

The stadium is called Le Parc Olympique lyonnais. OL being the soccer club. Groupama is an insurance company with a temporary marketing contract for the stadium.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

I'd be tempted to park around the INSA as it is summer holidays and there is loads of space. Avoid being too near Tonkin. You can catch the tram from INSA into town or walk across the parc de la Tête d'Or. If you have any problem with le Plod just say a few words in Romanian and they'll leave you well alone.

The stadium is called Le Parc Olympique lyonnais. OL being the soccer club. Groupama is an insurance company with a temporary marketing contract for the stadium.

We got married near Lyon, and my best man arrived very late with no accomodation. They tried to sleep in the hire car in a multistory somewhere, but kept getting moved on by security, and eventually the police. He finished the night by sleeping (in classic '40's style) in a cinema.

I personally wouldn't try Romanian these days, just use a white vehicle and park in a municipal football pitch. Need power? Use a lampost. Water can be conveniently taken from a fire hydrant. That seems to work where we are snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy