Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vignette - Jura mountains

Poster: A snowHead
Planning to travel via the Jura Mountains, onto the Swiss Motorway and back out to France over the summer. We will pass through an unmanned border into Switzerland from France using the N5 and head down through Les Rousses towards Signy. Would anybody know where along this route we could buy a vignette please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Harris, You can get a vignette at any Swiss petrol station before you join the autoroute, try the supermarket in Signy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The route you mention doesn't seem to contain any motorway, or are you planning on going back to France via Geneva?

Signy has several petrol stations, so yes, you should be able to get one there, but it's worth noting that not _all_ petrol stations sell the vignette, and some only have them at the beginning of the year. Large ones, right close to a motorway junction, should be fine, but having more than one to choose from is not a bad idea.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or buy one online https://www.tolltickets.com/en/country/schweiz/#price-list
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you buy online, beware sites that only mention a 'handling fee' or similar at the very last moment just before you press the CONFIRM button, often lowlighted as a (Handling fee £20) or similar after the FINAL CHARGE figure. Some can be as much as £20 on what's only a CHF 40 vignette to begin with. I always used to buy online until the supplementary charges started to get silly and now just have my CHF 40 in notes ready to get from a shop, supermarket or petrol station.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 25-06-22 13:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@LaForet, good point but the tolltickets site which @BergenBergen linked to is quite reasonable, they only charge a postage fee which I think is something like 2.50 Euros.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, I was going to use them, but when I checked the delivery lead time it was too tight to be sure I'd get the vignette delivered in time. My fault for not getting 'round to it rather than theirs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Harris, You could try Ebay, you don't tend to get a bargain (and it's not strictly allowed) but you tend to pay around the same as picking one up in CH and the seller gets to lower the cost of what was probably one trip down the CH m'ways. I did it once when I realised I would be entering CH for the first time that year, at night and on a minor road before joining the m'way network once I was in CH (and having left it too late to mail order to UK from CH). Most years I just pick one up at the border.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Tolltickets.com, I've used them twice, no problems.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
caughtanedge wrote:
+1 for Tolltickets.com, I've used them twice, no problems.

But beware there's a bit of a delay on shipping at the moment. Ordered one yesterday and delivery is expected until 6th July (it's been very quick in the past)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@midgetbiker, the fine is 1000s for fake vignettes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought one in January - unlikely to use it again so if you want it half price its yours
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skiboy91, if you applied it to the windscreen of your car in accordance with the instructions then how are you going to remove it intact? It's constructed to make this very difficult if not impossible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We didn't stick it on
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it's not stuck on and you're stopped, you're stuffed.
latest report
@pam w, ^+1
snow report
Putting aside the rules for one minute the reality is:

The vignettes available on UK Ebay are overwhelmingly not fakes but rather those bought by Brits to pass through CH on a hol. They are regularly not stuck to the windscreen for a variety of reasons, maybe not realising they should be, maybe not wanting to 'mess up' the nice car windscreen, or maybe because they want to sell after use (which is, agreed, against the rules/law).

If you buy one off Ebay that has never been stuck to a screen, and then stick it to yours, there is sfaik zero possibility of you getting in trouble (because there is sfaik no mechanism for this, I've often thought the Swiss could tighten up by linking a reg number with a vignette serial number at purchase, but they haven't as yet).

I don't as a rule do the above myself, I've done it once when it suited my needs (with no qualms, problems, or guilt) but the other (maybe 15 times) I've bought a vignette at the border (sometimes two) and stuck them to my windscreen(s) pretty much straight away. I get plenty of value for my 40CHF so I'm happy, but I do understand the peeve of those who have to pay the same as I do for just one quick blast through CH all year.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 27-06-22 8:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
If you buy a vignette at Bardonnex they insist you stick it on, right there, before you drive off. I agree it's a rip off for one trip, but I also marvel at the number of people who are spending £££££££ on a ski holiday who will moan for ages about it. There is no reason why anybody driving from Gva to the French ski resorts should feel obliged to buy a vignette - it will save them time and hassle, but they have the choice. I have rented French cars and driven through Geneva without a vignette - it's not rocket science.

However, I can't see any logic at all in splashing out on a vignette and then not sticking it on, as the penalties are the same. Like the old UK tax disc - no use having it in the glove pocket.
snow report
skiboy91 wrote:
I bought one in January - unlikely to use it again so if you want it half price its yours

I just ran outside in the rain to check the windscreen, to see if I should jump on that offer. Brain fog now cleared I remember that I of course have a '22 already, so I'm damp for no reason. rolling eyes
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:

If you buy one off Ebay that has never been stuck to a screen, and then stick it to yours, there is sfaik zero possibility of you getting in trouble (because there is sfaik no mechanism for this, I've often thought the Swiss could tighten up by linking a reg number with a vignette serial number at purchase, but they haven't as yet).

Correct. As long as _you_ have it stuck on there is no problem with this at all.

As for why, well there are times when I've bought them and left them in the glove box until I next use the motorway in that given vehicle, so I guess there may be some who then decide to sell the car before it's been used. And there are often half-price offers at supermarkets etc. in Dec/Jan, so some people may just be taking advantage of them to make a quick buck.

pam w wrote:
If you buy a vignette at Bardonnex they insist you stick it on, right there, before you drive off.

Same at any motorway border crossing, if it's manned. Quite often they're not (the Basel/France one that I know of in particular) but if the Douanes are there they will always make sure that you can, and do, buy and apply the vignette. It's worth remembering that Swiss douaniers, unlike their UK or French counterparts, do have a certain level of police powers (effectively they _are_ police), so they can check for everything from driving licence, insurance, roadworthiness etc. etc.

pam w wrote:

However, I can't see any logic at all in splashing out on a vignette and then not sticking it on, as the penalties are the same. Like the old UK tax disc - no use having it in the glove pocket.

As you say, the penalty is the same, but I can only assume some furriners might think they'll get away with pleading ignorance about having it stuck on - pretty sure that would never work.

There was a trick touted some years back, whereby if you very carefully stick the vignette onto a piece of clingfilm you can then apply that to the screen, but are able to remove it and transfer it between vehicles. Never tried it, and never would, 'cos I imagine the penalties for deliberately trying to fsk the system would be much worse.
latest report
The Swiss police are extremely vigilant about picking up cars on autoroutes without a vignette. The only time we've ever driven without one it was on a hire car where they'd missed-out on replacing it for Feb 1st. and we were picked up within 20 minutes, stopped and were lucky that they accepted it was the rental company at fault but followed us to the next service station to buy one. Having one but not sticking it to the windscreen is the same as not having one, and if you were stopped, I doubt you'd be exempted from an on-the-spot fine.

I'm with those who shake their heads at people who'll spend £thousands on a winter holiday then balk at CHF 40 for a vignette. For me, I think it's a better way of paying for motorways than tolls or vehicle tax and it's how the Swiss do it, so I live with it.

But yes, it is annoying that over the last 3-4 years the on-line retail sites have almost all introduced a big 'handling fee' or similar that I think is usurious. And make you wade through multiple pages of ordering and card details and it's not revealed until the very last moment.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 27-06-22 9:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The vignette must be stuck on the window otherwise it is not valid, you would be fined if stopped by the police. If you buy them at a border crossing the person selling will very firmly attach it to the windscreen. However if you buy one in advance from a petrol station or wherever it is possible to peel them off. You need to apply a small amount of some clear chap stick, vaseline or similar to the place on the windscreen where you want to put the vignette. Attach the vignette by gently pushing on the corners. With care it should be possible to remove the sticker and put it back on the original carrier for reuse. I would guess this is only really possible once and only if it has been used for a short period. Longer use or hot temperatures would likely cause the glue to stick more meaning the sticker will be damaged by the process of removing it.
snow report
@LaForet, @munich_irish: Well I'm dancing on the head of a pin here, as like I've said I generally buy my vignette and stick it to the screen as I generally do multiple journeys in the same vehicle in a year, but to contradict what's been said:
Quote:

If you buy them at a border crossing the person selling will very firmly attach it to the windscreen.

Not always, in fact ime not most of the time. I've bought at the Basel border numerous times and never had it stuck to the screen by the seller, though I have seen it happen once to another car I was travelling with. Other (maybe quieter) borders may be different.
Quote:

if you very carefully stick the vignette onto a piece of clingfilm

Quote:

You need to apply a small amount of some clear chap stick, vaseline or similar

I think both of these would as stated above get you in proper trouble if detected. Also they are unnecessary, the one time I wanted to 'borrow' a vignette from one car to another (again driven by convenience, rather than a desire to save money) it was easy enough to remove, attach, use, remove, attach. No clingfilm nor vaseline required, and undetectable in situ so no chance of getting in trouble.

Quote:

I can only assume some furriners might think they'll get away with pleading ignorance about having it stuck on - pretty sure that would never work.

I've never known of anyone getting fined for having a vignette on the dashboard but not stuck on, but I'm sure it happens. My real world experience though is:
1-I used to put my vignettes in a old style UK RFL windscreen holder, once when parked at a border for a loo break a CH bobby spotted it, had a look and told us that was no good and asked us to attach straight to the screen, we did, no drama, no fine. This was a good few years ago though, a little over a decade.
2-A friend hired a car French side GVA, bought a vignette as he entered CH but just left it on the dashboard as he wanted to use it on other French hire cars later in the season (he is an idiot btw, I did the whole snow tyre conversation with him, but he's a 'it'll never happen to me' kind of guy) anywho later that day as he's pulled over getting a speeding fine in CH the bobby says 'why isn't that on the windscreen' my mate says 'not my car, I'm not comfortable to stick things to it', bobby says 'stick it on', he does, no drama, no fine (and this was when he was already not on their good side, as a speeder).

Quote:

shake their heads at people who'll spend £thousands on a winter holiday then balk at CHF 40 for a vignette

I see what you and @pam w are saying, but equally I (and my dodgy mate above) are from Yorkshire, nuff said. Very Happy
ski holidays
I always thought CHF40 for a vignette is a good deal compared to the prices for french motorway tolls
snow report
countryman wrote:
I always thought CHF40 for a vignette is a good deal compared to the prices for french motorway tolls

Agreed.
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:

I think both of these would as stated above get you in proper trouble if detected. Also they are unnecessary, the one time I wanted to 'borrow' a vignette from one car to another (again driven by convenience, rather than a desire to save money) it was easy enough to remove, attach, use, remove, attach. No clingfilm nor vaseline required, and undetectable in situ so no chance of getting in trouble.

Err, how, exactly? I've removed them perhaps 50 times in our twenty years here, and even the best method (slight heat and a razor blade scraper) doesn't always/usually leave them properly, undetectably, reusable.

In all that time I've never once been stopped on a motorway, and it's very unusual to see police cars on them, so I'd say the chances of getting stopped are very small, but not infinitesimally so. But really, spending 40 francs and _still_ being at risk of being fined seems a little ridiculous, even for a Yorkshireman.
snow report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:

Err, how, exactly? I've removed them perhaps 50 times in our twenty years here, and even the best method (slight heat and a razor blade scraper) doesn't always/usually leave them properly, undetectably, reusable.

In all that time I've never once been stopped on a motorway, and it's very unusual to see police cars on them, so I'd say the chances of getting stopped are very small, but not infinitesimally so. But really, spending 40 francs and _still_ being at risk of being fined seems a little ridiculous, even for a Yorkshireman.

Well that's my method too (hair dryer and Stanley bladed scraper) both for getting them off when they build up enough to start obscuring the view and the one time I did a swap. I guess maybe years of working behind a glass screen that regularly needed promotional sticker removing has honed my skills.

Agreed on the getting pulled thing. I once set off from France, crossed into CH and onto the m'way, and then realised the vignette I'd bought months earlier was still back in the apt, on my bedroom chest of drawers, where I'd put it to make sure I couldn't forget to apply it! Anyway I drove the length of CH sweating, but never (knowingly) saw a bobby. When I got to Basel I jigged off the m'way at the last second, into the HGV parking at the border through the 'back door' and back onto the m'way in France.

Oh, and to be clear (once more) this Yorkshireman 99% of the time just buys a vignette and plays by the rules. Honest!
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
When I got to Basel I jigged off the m'way at the last second, into the HGV parking at the border through the 'back door' and back onto the m'way in France.

We usually use the Hegenheimstrasse border crossing if we want to avoid the motorway crossing. For whatever reasons wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did once end up being diverted from our planned route by the satnav and ended up passin GVA airport without a vignette. We were directed through the border post but not stopped and had no obvious opportunity to buy one. Noone stopped us and we left autoroute soo n afterwards
snow report
@Hells Bells, the roads around GVA have been so screwed up by roadworks for the last three or four years that you sometimes find yourself having to use a little bit of autoroute just to get around the airport for a second entry attempt. Even using the French entrance, with multiple different satnavs, it's still very easy to get pointed in the wrong direction and end up having to backtrack one junction.
latest report
Death by satnav round Gva airport is very common unless you are doing a straightforward in and out of the international side......
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Death by satnav round Gva airport is very common unless you are doing a straightforward in and out of the international side......

Even then it's not guaranteed. The quick drop-off was closed for pick-ups one time a few weeks ago, I was directed to P2, then realised I had no way of explaining how to get there to the arriving passenger so did another circuit round to the open-air bit at P1 where fortunately we managed to meet. Getting out again, wanting to go through Geneva, is still problematic, neither signs nor satnavs being reliable, some trying to get you onto the motorway and do 40km extra on the trip home.

Grrrrr.
snow report
I cant see how the vaseline thing would be an issue, the requirement is for the vignette to be attached to the windscreen. Its irrelevant if the windscreen is grubby. I agree it is possible to peel them off without assistance ( I have done it, you need to be very careful to only stick very small areas of the vignette and have a lot of patience taking it off again, vaseline / chap stick makes it easier). Unlike in Austria I dont believe there are cameras to check vignettes so it would generally only be if you get stopped for something else (going 1 km/h over the speed limit!!)
ski holidays
As far as I remember they could be bought at post offices in Switzerland?
ski holidays
@munich_irish,
Slightly off topic, how automated is the Austrian system?
I know that there is a system of prepaying the Brenner Autobahn and relying on ANPR at the barrier but are the "all-Austria" stickers machine readable?
Thanks!
snow report
The swiss vignette can be avoided if you dont use Swiss motorways ..it is possible to go from Geneva to Annecy using minor roads ..as to the Austrian Vignette you can go on side roads to the Brenner pass and if you really want to save cash and hit Austria on the way to Italy via the Ferne Pass you can turn right and go to the 186 and go over the St Leonard Pass and to Bolzano via Moreno ....I had to do it once as the Brenner was shut on the way home ...takes about an hour or two longer ...but if you are going to the Val D'aosta the swiss vignette is fantastic value compared to the cost of the Mont Blanc tunnel which is €46 one way
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy