Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I buy genepi anywhere in France?

Poster: A snowHead
Visiting Dordogne in a couple of weeks and would like to pick up some genepi as gift to other people in the trip. Is this widely available in shops .e.g Carrefour throughout France or is it only a Savoie thing?

Merci buckets
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ryunis, i think it may be an alps thing . Dordogneshire probably has a local digestif though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ryunis, defo an alps thing, but pretty well known as a digestif, so maybe? Only one way to find out.

Although a local analogue may be more appropriate as a souvenir?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I visit the area south of Perigueux frequently. I've never seen Genepi for sale or offered in a bar/restaurant.

However, the only genepi worth buying (imho) is the finest green made by the Chartreuse guys, so that's the only one I've looked for. Maybe those other inferior versions are available, although I suspect you've a better chance of finding single malts at reasonable prices.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Yoda, to be pedantic, I don’t think Chartreuse is technically Genepi …
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, the very thought of either of them makes me feel green!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I know it's not - but the peres Chartreux make several genepis in addition to the verte and jaune chartreuses.

https://www.diffordsguide.com/beer-wine-spirits/964/genepi-des-peres-chartreux
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This post has prompted me to go upto the Chartreuse next week and collect the right herbs to make my own genepi. I have some aqua vitæ at home just waiting for it.

I may be wrong, but I thought all the large supermarkets like SuperU sold it and I may have seen it for sale in motorway service areas.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am also fairly sure that while it is not offered in bars or restaurants, big supermarkets stock it all over France - though I only ever drink it while in the Alps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ryunis, i hope you know for sure that they like it...straight down the sink if it were given to me
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone.

They like it. I find it quite sweet tbh, unlike the god awful green Chartreuse I have had.

I guess the answer remains somewhere between; nobody knows, someone thinks it's probably stocked at large supermarkets throughout France and it's never been seen in the region Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I guess the answer remains somewhere between; nobody knows, someone thinks it's probably stocked at large supermarkets throughout France and it's never been seen in the region

I suspect that no one has actually been looking for it is the reason noone can recall accurately. As an analogy - can you get fernet branca in UK supermarkets?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Of course! I don't suspect it is on very many people's shopping lists. Just wondered if anybody knew and that's a summarised conclusion based on responses so far.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda wrote:

However, the only genepi worth buying (imho) is the finest green made by the Chartreuse guys, so that's the only one I've looked for. Maybe those other inferior versions are available, although I suspect you've a better chance of finding single malts at reasonable prices.

I'm with you on that. Definitely the best I've had and the one I always look for if in the region
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DCG, I and my experienced team of tasters always look for it on the way to the Alps, but even in fairly close proximity (supermarket in Belley for example) it's often not available. As mentioned above, other makes may be stocked in large supermarkets but they are not of interest to us.
ski holidays
@Ryunis, Buy it mail order before you go?

https://www.portenoire.co.uk/product/bigallet-le-grand-tetras-genepi-liqueur/
snow report
@Yoda, I think I first came across this in the Spar in VdI about 20 years ago. Still have a bottle in my cupboard at home with an inch or so left. Have been going more to Switzerland and Italy in recent years so it's been a while since I had some.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I guess the answer remains somewhere between; nobody knows, someone thinks it's probably stocked at large supermarkets throughout France and it's never been seen in the region

I suspect that no one has actually been looking for it is the reason noone can recall accurately. As an analogy - can you get fernet branca in UK supermarkets?

Yes...in Tesco
latest report
Simple answer - no, it's not normally stocked in French supermarkets outside the Alpes. And yes, I have looked.

Better answer - the bottled product you can buy in supermarkets in the French ski resorts is awful. Not in the least bit comparable with the usually home-produced stuff offered as a digestif on the ski slopes or the better resort restaurants. Save your money.

Too sweet, but too bitter at the same time. How that's possible I'm not sure, but it feels like it needs to be watered, or vodka'd, down to get the flavours to acceptable levels.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 30-06-22 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, Is it in the booze or pharmacy section? Just joking. I get my Campari from Tesco.
ski holidays
@johnE, indeed. I only had fernet once....luckily I was next to a pot plant so I could pour it away. dunno if the plant survived
latest report
I bought a bottle of genepi cordial once, was interestingly different with hot water in a flask.
snow report
@Ryunis, my mate lives in the Dordogne, I'll message him for you Very Happy
snow report
We have about three or four bottle of the stuff, some 3/4 full, been left as presents etc from various friends over the years we did favours for re-accommodation and the like, or as self-caterers they give us their left-overs.

Never drink it at home, only when well oiled late at night at a restaurant, and then I always blame the stuff for a horrible head the next day, recently I've even declined the offer(s) of one!
ski holidays
Last trip the bar in my hotel suggested I try Chartreuse VEP. Now that was a drink. 54% alcohol. Expensive, though.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, probaly not the free genepi at fault, more likely the cote du rhone!!!
latest report
It just tastes like medicine, whereas Fernet Branca IS medicine - disgusting stuff, but brilliant for settling an upset stomach.
snow report
I love some of the comments here BUT then to be controversial I have a similar view of cinzano and ricard. However, armagnac and good calvados are brilliant (bad calvados is good for firelighting and cooking)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@countryman,
Quote:

armagnac and good calvados are brilliant (bad calvados is good for firelighting and cooking)

Spot on! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
It just tastes like medicine, whereas Fernet Branca IS medicine - disgusting stuff, but brilliant for settling an upset stomach.

On my last climbing trip (more than 15 years ago), we drunkenly demanded large glasses of the most revolting thing available in a Chamonix bar. This was partially inspired by the story about Don Whillans and the pickled snake! Fernet Branca was provided.

We ended up having a storming argument, a wrestling fight on a roundabout, then made our way independently back to Argentiere! I have a vague memory of walking through the tunnels, then woke up with the worst hangover I’ve ever experienced in our tent. My mate swamped his sleeping bag and vomited during the night. I can still remember how the taste of the damn stuff lingered, and the tent smelled of it for days afterwards.

Strangely, I’ve never felt the need to try it again! Edit: just writing this has made me feel a bit boaky Confused
snow conditions
Génépi is indeed a Savoy specialty and not well loved enough to be found everywhere in France.

For a taste of Dordogne, look for Vin de Noix (walnut wine) or Liqueur de Châtaigne (chestnut liqueur). You may also find Pineau des Charentes which is quite nice and I would certainly enjoy a nice Pineau right now.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 30-06-22 21:05; edited 3 times in total
latest report
There is simply no comparison between good Calvados and a bottle of supermarket genepi. We were offered home made genepi as a digestif in our local restaurant in Bisanne 1500 and it always tasted good, but probably because the whole situation was so sympa and I'd usually drunk enough of the house red to feel my French was quite fluent.
snow report
If it is important for you bring back a bottle of Génépi, you can order online and have it delivered to your address in France.
https://www.refuge-de-marie-louise.com/genepi
ski holidays
Early Season, before Christmas, about 10-15 years ago in La Plagne. Stopped at one of the on mountain resturaunts for lunch, and ordered FAR to much food. Struggled to eat as much as we could in the scorchio sunshine on the balcony. At the end of the meal we were offered one of two Genepi's from behind the bar. We chose one - Ok ish. Then we went back for the other. Not as nice. On the third trip to the bar the barman leant under the counter and pulled up two of those hide covered flasks that you see them drinking water from in Cowboy movies. "Thiz iz ze house Genepi - you want?" he said.

Anyway long story short, we went down the mountain with the staff at the end of the day on a ski-doo.

So IMHO there is no such thing as "Genepi". It's a generic name for some local hooch infused with local herbs-n-stuff. Some better than others, but the stuff you can buy in shops or supermarkets is brewed for the mass market, so usually sickly sweet and inoffensive. The good stuff will put hairs on your eyeballs. A bit like shop/pub bought Cider versus proper Zumerzet Scrumpy.
ski holidays
Quote:

So IMHO there is no such thing as "Genepi". It's a generic name for some local hooch infused with local herbs-n-stuff. Some better than others, but the stuff you can buy in shops or supermarkets is brewed for the mass market, so usually sickly sweet and inoffensive. The good stuff will put hairs on your eyeballs. A bit like shop/pub bought Cider versus proper Zumerzet Scrumpy.

No, Genepi is alchohol infused with the Genepi flower (aka artemesia and closely related to wormwood). Yes, there's a wide variety of recipes, qualities and even tastes, but it's specifically made with the genepi flower. The locals go and pick them (despite its protected status!) then infuse it in shop-bought alcohol.
snow report
As @stevomcd, says, the big thing in the Summer is to go hiking and pick the Genepi flowers and then make it yourself, and here I should add @Ken in LA, that it is not just a Savoie speciality.

There is evidently a well-known spot up behind us near the Col du Granon and around 2,200 where the flowers are quite prevalent, though I've heard of contretemps where people have been admonished for picking the flowers for the said same people to be seen going back and picking them themselves, it's all a bit of a seasonal game!

But then the bit I don't get, is that the cost of the necessary bottle of 90° alcohol is between €14-17 for that you could buy yourself a decent bottle of Calvados!

Apart from Genepi here they also make Liqueur de Mélèze which are the buds of the Mélèze tree, a damn site easier to find than Genepi Laughing

More here on how to make it
https://destinationhautesvallees.com/2020/04/29/liqueur-de-meleze-des-hautes-vallees/
snow report
Quote:

€14-17 for that you could buy yourself a decent bottle of Calvados!

I've been robbed! Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

I should add @Ken in LA, that it is not just a Savoie speciality.

Oddly, I associate genepi more with the Isere than the Savoie
ski holidays
@johnE, quite prevalent here in the Haute Savoie, and certainly popular in the Alpes-Maritimes ...
snow report
JamesHJ wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

On my last climbing trip (more than 15 years ago), we drunkenly demanded large glasses of the most revolting thing available in a Chamonix bar. This was partially inspired by the story about Don Whillans and the pickled snake! Fernet Branca was provided.

We ended up having a storming argument, a wrestling fight on a roundabout, then made our way independently back to Argentiere! I have a vague memory of walking through the tunnels, then woke up with the worst hangover I’ve ever experienced in our tent. My mate swamped his sleeping bag and vomited during the night. I can still remember how the taste of the damn stuff lingered, and the tent smelled of it for days afterwards.

Strangely, I’ve never felt the need to try it again! Edit: just writing this has made me feel a bit boaky Confused

Fernet Branca is most definitely an acquired taste. I used to have some German work collegues who genuinely liked it though and claimed it actually prevented hangovers which I find hard to believe (the hangover part anyway).

Equally unpleasant (IMHO), is Austrian Teufelskrauter Feuerlikor (https://spirits24.co.uk/products/baumann-teufelskrauter-feuerlikor-50-vol-0-7l). Sometimes the bottles come with a pack of matches to set it on fire, which is all that it's really suitable for.

If you just want dangerous spirits though, you really cant beat a bit of Stroh 80 rum or Ansatz Korn 80%. Both are about as strong as you will get anywhere and need to be treated with respect Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy