Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to Mount the bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just bought some Seth Vicious - hurrah!

Does anybody know the pros and cons of where to mount the bindings.

I'm fitting freeride touring bindings, mainly for off piste, a bit of mucking around in the park.

Any advice?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Congratulations snowHead

There should be a mark showing the centre of the ski.
How u mount the bindings does depend entirely on personal preferance but generally speaking, they get mounted centrally for 'Old school'/off pisting and they get mounted a little forwards (ie 1cm or so) for 'new Skool'/park riding.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and mounted back for big mountain powder terrain.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was wondering where you got the seths from. I can't seem to find them for a reasonable price at the minute. Did you get the 169 or 179. Also what bindings did you go for.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got the Seths from these guys......................

http://conspiracyclothing.co.uk 179s

for £299. Pretty chuffed with that.

There are some 169s around for good money, but I stuggled for the 179s

Try this

http://www.filarinskis.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=795&osCsid=0ff0c9b8749eb4759bbee8ff5f151931

I haven't bought bindings yet but going for Diamir Freeride Touring Bindings.

Thanks for the advice folks - I'll put them in the usual place!!

Cheers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It may or may not be important to you but the mark on the ski is for boot centre and has nothing to do with ski centre. More simply it does not mark the centre of the ski.

Lou
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
race510, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I flew into Calgary many years ago, but not for ski-ing...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Hoppo.
I've read this thread more carefully and warn against thinking about mounting bindings in the usual place. The mark on the ski is not ski centre it is simply where the centre of the boot should go. Therefore, it will be in a different place from manufacturer to manufacturer. You cannot treat it as the same position on every ski and the marks are not directly comparable unless you compare their location to some standard such as the centre of the ski running surface.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Phatairs, I skied on a pair of Volkl Gotamas (105mm waist) last season with a pair of Salomon 912Ti bindings without lifters. Near the end of the season I had my Fritschi Freeride bindings put on.
First time out the thing that struck me was how lateraly unstable they had become. I think this could be a problem on really wide skis as your boot is already really high on the Fritschi's. Then add in the lift imposed when you put the ski on edge and it was too much for me. I felt like I was skiing in high heeled shoes Laughing and was a bit concerned at the prospect of injuring myself. This was most noticeable on steep slopes in Spring corn where as I side slid, then tried to make a platform to launch my turn off, made me feel like I could almost twist an ankle, even though my boots were very tightly buckled.
I'm now back with my old bindings again, and if I ever do serious backcountry will probably get some snow shoes to strap to my backpack instead.
I wondered why people in resort who freeride were telling me that boot sole as close to ski as possible was the way to be. I'm now thinking my experience was what they were on about.
If you intend to do park stuff I would be a bit concerned using the Fritschis myself.
My experience with this is limited so hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will chime in regarding the above.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rockyrobin, same boots or touring?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, I was wearing my Tecnica Diablo Fires.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As good as the Fritschi Freeride bindings are (and they are *very* good touring bindings) - IMHO they will not match the rigidness that a dedicated (good) alpine binding will give.

Personally, I ski my Mojo90's with a lifter plate, it just helps with the torque on the ankle. But for Park stuff you'd want to be as close to the ski as possible, so no plates.

I know what you mean about feeling tall on really steep terrain, I find I compensate by making sure my lower joints are doing all the flexing, and keeping a compact body stance. I do like my Mojo90's with plates, even on steep narrow terrain.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 25-06-06 17:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rr, I'm curious whether there might have been slop in the boot, boot/binding interface(e.g. toe height mismatch alpine/AT), and binding itself that might have contributed to your impression.

right, the boot itself is out.

(Edit: daggnabbit, V8's quick on the enter key)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, I set the toe height myself with a piece of paper nipped up till paper slid no more, then nipped up a tad more to allow for the paper thickness. There was definately no play as I spent a while tugging and playing with them to make sure.
The only other thing I can think of is boot ramp, but this surely would only affect fore/aft and not lateral instability as I felt. It was'nt that I felt there was any slop anywhere in the setup, just a feeling of being too damn high, feeling like you could topple sideways when underfoot was not solid and supportive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I set the toe height myself with a piece of paper nipped up till paper slid no more, then nipped up a tad more to allow for the paper thickness

With those bindings (912Ti) there should be a 0.5mm clearance between the AFD and the boot. I use a smooth plastic credit card /store card as a shim, it's very close to the right thickness.
snow conditions
veeeight, I think the reference was to the Fritschi FRs.
snow conditions
Yeah, sorry if I was unclear. Was talking about the setting of the Fritschi's toe height.
snow conditions
NehNeh
snow report
rockyrobin, Freerides do have you standing high off the ski. I've had them on my off-piste skis for the last 4 years or so and I've just got used to it. There is a bit more slop in these bindings than good alpine bindings, but not really enough to make a big difference to performance IMO.

If you have a look around on www.wildsnow.com , the author of that site has tested this. Pretty much the same slop as some Markers!

Also, they have a zero ramp angle which some people find puts them a bit in the back seat. I don't really notice this myself.

I'd echo the point about using freerides in the park - it's not what they are made for so I wouldn't expect the same level of safety or durability as a decent set of alpine bindings.
snow report
the seths centre mark is 2cm off so +2 is centre. Mine should come today but they have a purely downhill binding. I'm putting them at +4 (really +2) if you go to k2factoryteam.com and the seth pistol forum there is loads of posts on where to mount the seth and some with freerides. There are even a few comments from Seth Morrison himself.
snow conditions
rockyrobin wrote:

I'm now back with my old bindings again, and if I ever do serious backcountry will probably get some snow shoes to strap to my backpack instead.

I would recommend Alpine Trekkers over this. Snowshoes are rubbish compared with skis and skins. Trust me on this
ski holidays
Quote:

Pretty much the same slop as some Markers!

rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy