Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jobs in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. My 22 year old daughter has just graduated in Physiology and Sports Science but is taking a year off in between doing a Master's. She has BASI 1 and been teaching for 4 years now at a local dry slope in Glasgow. She had been looking at getting a Canadian upgrade but was going to take too long and cost too much to get any benefit from it. She is at a reasonably advanced stage of getting a Canadian visa and wants to work in a hotel in Whistler (ideally), or somewhere that will provide digs, thus allowing her to ski during the day. She is hoping to head out in October.
Does anyone have any experience doing similar and where should she look for jobs etc. In an ideal world she would work with a ski team analysing performance etc but not enough experience to do so (I'm assuming), although she has worked with a woman's football team here in Glasgow for the past year doing that.
As always any guidance greatly appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting a job in Whistler really won't be a problem. Getting accomodation is the real challenge. Getting out in October and really hustling though is a good start. Every ski bum wants a job that is afternoons and evenings only.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forget working with pro skiers. Unless you are hugely qualified with lots of experience and/or know the right person it's not happening.

Getting a job in whistler is easy. Getting one with employee housing is more difficult. Getting one before you have your visa is almost impossible.

As said above getting out there before the season is a good bet. There is a job fair. You are putting your eggs in one basket so to speak though, if you don't find anything suitable what's plan b?

The best chance of employee housing might be working for the mountain. They prioritise first year workers for housing and you get a free lift pass (at least you used to). Downside is work hours will certainly eat into ski time.

You should be aware of the downsides of employee housing:
The jobs offering it are the least well paid (although in fairness probably a net gain still).
You can become trapped. I know people who's jobs ended up being very different to what they expected, hating it, but unable to leave as would lose housing. It certainly seems like there are cases where the mountain in particular uses the accomodation as leverage.
Although subsidised it's still kind of expensive. You are probably looking at $600+ for a shared room.

In comparison to whistler somewhere like fernie you can have a private room with no strings attached for $650 per month. If money is an issue definitely consider some of the interior resorts which are much cheaper, still offer fantastic skiing, but do lack the nightlife.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boabski, KK jr is currently on gap life in Canada and he's been in Banff all season. We've just returned and there is plenty of work in Whistler and elsewhere. Speaking to both staff and managers, they are crying out for people to work and quite a few places are closed as they cannot find staff.

Most hospitality jobs do seem to offer accommodation. Junior pays around $22 per night at the moment, at his previous job he was paying $15 per night, but wages are just above the minimum.

My son looked on Facebook groups in the locality (Banff) and then found jobs advertised. He was interviewed shortly after arriving in Vancouver last September and started in Banff in early October.

Once in place he negotiated evening shifts, having been given day shifts to start. They seem to give all newbies the day shifts.

Look at more than just Whistler as this will be the first choice for many. My son loves Banff and found it easy to change jobs and do other work, eg as a pizza delivery driver.

Whistler, like Banff is expensive and a party town and as my son found out, you have to work hard to play hard.

Good luck to your daughter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boarder2020 wrote:
Forget working with pro skiers. Unless you are hugely qualified with lots of experience and/or know the right person it's not happening.

Could still use the time out there to work on getting qualified to work in that area. Do CSCF 1 with a Whistler club, or do UKSS 1 during the summer in the UK then work on CSCF 2 in Canada.

The UK performance coaching pathway has always had links to the Canadian one, particularly through Scotland, the current Canadian national head coach is a Scot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The son of a friend got a job with the lift company, cleaning the gondolas at the end of the day, with hostel-type accommodation in the deal. Not exciting but it worked to give slope time.

And the daughter of a different friend succeeded in doing exactly what @boabski's daughter plans, though I am not sure which Canadian resort she worked at. Also a sports scientist. She qualified as an instructor, and then returned for several succeeding seasons, all the while deferring her Masters.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone. Have passed on the good info
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree about getting certified as a race coach. Then look on lots of websites for jobs. They are all advertising at the moment. Try Alberta Alpine (under resources) , BC Alpine etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My daughter is now thinking of getting her BASI2 ( in Zermatt this summer) which will apparently allow her to teach in Canada. Does that work or does she need the Canadian qualifications?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boabski, Ski schools don't care. Work permit and accomodation (so you can be sure the staff have a chance of sticking around) are the main elements. If she were in Whistler I imagine she could go through CSIA 1 and 2 pretty quickly at the start of the season even if CSIA doesn't accept BASI equivalence for L1.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boabski, if she does the August course, get her to wave hello, as I'll be there doing my IASI L2, but coming up from Cervinia not Zermatt.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks folks. I think she'll go for it and see how it goes. It gives her an excuse to go to Zermatt for 10 days or so at the very worst
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a wee update on this. BASI2:course cancelled next week in Zermatt due to conditions. However my daughter had an interview with Whistler ski school on Monday and was offered a job teaching in ski school. So even though she only had BASI1, 5 years worth of teaching defo helped get her the job. Worth noting for anyone in a similar position
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boabski, congrats to her. Be sure to update us during the winter as to how she gets on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, what are you doing now that the course was cancelled?
snow conditions
@boabski, i've booked mine for December in Hintertux now. Lost some money on trains and accomodation, but only a relatively small amount. Warren Smith were great in terms of cancelling the course and refunding.

I've got a Level 1 race coach course at the Chill Factore booked in for mid September, so still have something relatively soon to look forward to, and I wasn't planning on needing my L2 quals this winter anyway, so it's not the end of the world.
snow report
Eh oh!
snow conditions
Just back from Whistler & all the shops, bars & restaurants & bars are looking for staff. As previously stated, accommodation is a huge problem. The local paper had lots of jobs advertised: https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/ Best of luck!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy