Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been wanting to go to Gressoney for years and we are looking at booking our normal group for Hotel Gressoney in St Jean for Feb 2023. What are experiences of the bus like? Is there many bars around the town for some cosy Apres?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only been there once, waay back in 2004, but stayed in Gressoney-la-Trinité, right at the bottom of the main lift up, at the Hotel Dufour (according to google). Only three or four bars in the village, just enough really, as the hotel's bar and restaurant was pretty good in itself. A lot of very reasonably-priced good Italian red wines, I recall...

No idea about staying down in St. Jean, but it looks like it'd be 15 minutes away by bus, so personally I wouldn't choose to do that.

Was a great trip for skiing, run by Phil Smith and with a couple of other BASI Trainers and Nigel Shepherd doing off-piste instruction. Including a heli drop at 4200m to ski down into Zermatt, then skiing all the way home from the top of Cervinia later...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnboy wrote:
Been wanting to go to Gressoney for years and we are looking at booking our normal group for Hotel Gressoney in St Jean for Feb 2023. What are experiences of the bus like? Is there many bars around the town for some cosy Apres?

As I recall it was every 1/2 hour at peak/start finish of ski times but big gaps outside of that - if your group is used to bussing around its ok, but you've got to bus even to the small st jean slopes, so gets harder for mixed groups, forgetful people and anyone unwilling to just sit a relax in a rest until the bus comes (there are good places for this in Stafal and elsewhere). The are is a great place to go for half term imv (though beginners may struggle).

If looking for recommendations, I stayed at Hotel Lysjoch in Orsia - 1 min walk to bus to start but can ski back and focus apres on the lovely huts on the slopes above it. Great food IMV and gluten free options (including beer)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks folks, another (slightly more expensive) option is Chalet du Lys at the top of the valley beside the lifts. Looks good, very convenient, but maybe not much life in the evenings. We are not looking for crazy Apres, just a few bars. All experienced group.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only ever stayed at the Hotel Dufour as well, I'd not recommend staying in St Jean when you can stay up the valley with a few more bars and loads better access to/from the slopes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One plus point for staying in St Jean is you're amongst the first people to get on the bus, so normally get a seat, whereas any one heading for Staffal and getting on further up the valley may end up standing

We were a group of 9 and stayed in the Flora Alpina Hotel in Gressoney St Jean, & bussing to Staffal wasn't an issue for us
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
not sure Gressoney would be my top pick, it always looks pretty quiet. but there is a SHs bash there ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed here a few years ago. The hotel was nice and food was good and the bus stop was convenient. We went with friends who had been previously and really liked it. We are keener skiers and left to our own devices. we would have stayed at Staffal and missed the bus journey. we liked the skiing even though the conditions were poor that year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy wrote:
Thanks folks, another (slightly more expensive) option is Chalet du Lys at the top of the valley beside the lifts. Looks good, very convenient, but maybe not much life in the evenings. We are not looking for crazy Apres, just a few bars. All experienced group.

Have booked there for NY 2023 on the grounds of very close to lift. No hassle. And skiiable (almost) in..if snow conditions permit. They also have an Irish pub attached... the "only show in town" - but that might mean it hits critical mass for atmosphere?. Have travelled from Staffal to St Jean in summer on th ebus Doing that twice a day would seem a bit of a bind..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy