Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Xmas/New Year.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, we are thinking of skiing over Christmas / New Year at Serre Chevalier. What will the snow be like then? Will it be too icy as north facing? Too windy? Hear the Southern Alps get different weather systems to North? We are just looking for on piste skiing. Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Lovetoski123, skiing at Xmas/NY is hit and miss but there will be snow and plenty of piste skiing. That's in general, not specific to SC. But as it's north facing and as height for the most part it would be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
North facing doesn't make things icy, generally, @Lovetoski123. More of a problem on sun-facing slopes. Not that sun is much of a problem in the short days of Christmas/New Year.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never saw this thread when it was in full flow about April back in February.

I would be very careful about booking the last two weeks of the season here, this year was a joke as well over half the resort was closed along with French ski schools, the Brit operated ones were the only ones working on the last week.

They close the Briançon sector first, then Monetier, along with many mountain restos and the all important links.

Maybe this year was worse because of the poor snow cover and it did get bad.

We were saying how disappointed people must have been coming out for Easter, it's been getting this way the past three or so years, with the commercial side of things closing down whilst the lifts are still open.

It's really quite outrageous as there's no reduction in lift passes, combine the above with nigh on impossible slush heavy snow after 13:00 and if you're not up for first lifts, taking a more leisurely holiday modus operandi then you'll end up with limited skiing!

Since we've been here since 2013 the final day of the season has always been circa the 22nd April give or take a few days either side.

La Grave was open longer but they are now closing earlier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, it was in full flow in 2015!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arno, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Post not needed or makes sense now the thread has been split off for the new question.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 15-06-22 17:22; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Split new posts into a thread of their own .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyway, what I said about April still hold true Laughing

And 2015 must have been like this year as well then Laughing

As for Xmas/New Year that's just a lottery I'm afraid as to whether you'll get picture-postcard snow in the village-type conditions but there's usually adequate cover on the pistes.

And if only going for one week, choose Xmas week as opposed to New Years' week, as SC is very French the Xmas week is not as busy as New Years which is one of the busiest weeks of the year!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all your replies. Good to know pistes should be okay. Not so bothered about picture postcard village, though would be nice.

BTW for Serre Che when would you choose to holiday given we have one at Uni this year which means no HT. Easter or Christmas?

P.S. Awesome to be chatting with Serre Che celebs!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
Split new posts into a thread of their own .

Now I look like I’ve been smoking something rolling eyes Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lovetoski123 wrote:
BTW for Serre Che when would you choose to holiday given we have one at Uni this year which means no HT. Easter or Christmas?

SC not particular different to anywhere else. Christmas means shorter days, unpredictable winter weather, you get away from the overblown Christmas in the UK, utilise the enforced down time that comes at Christmas against Easter which is longer days, more sunshine but slushy slopes in the afternoon. Easter tends to be a bit quieter/cheaper but it's marginal. NY week is busier than Christmas week. Both weekends are at the edge of the season so conditions less predictable. Easter of course you will have the base, for better or worse.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lovetoski123, March if I had a choice. Base should be built up. Kids all back to school, still plenty chance of snow to fall
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lovetoski123, we did New Year there a few years ago. From what I can remember it was bitterly cold but fun up top, with pistes open down to most of the resorts but only to the mid station of the Briancon gondola. Fair queues, not the worst I've experienced but dreadful when one chairlift broke down and everyone converged on the one drag lift that gave access to the next sector.
snow conditions
The very best week of the season in most French resorts is going to be the first week after the "vacances scolaires" - roughly the second week in March.
snow report
Maybe @Lovetoski123, could clarify because I took his post as saying he could go at Easter or Christmas and that was their choice? Rather than an open ended could go anytime.

Obviously these are two very different options.
snow report
Hello all, thank you for your posts. I would absolutely love to go in mid March and thank you for that tip for future. However at the moment we are trying to holiday with the kids (one is at Uni and one at school) so now tied down to either end of the season in the holidays.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy