Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Since I got ridiculed for asking about Chalets in Courchevel 1850 I thought I'd ask a question about other resorts.

I went to courchevel 1850 this year and absolutely loved it, but if I list all the things I really liked and would want again, can anyone come up with alternative suggestions for other resorts that have the same?

Here is what I liked:

Some good, interesting Green runs - it was our first time and while I want to progress onto Blues and maybe Reds next year, my wife isn't as confident, so will need some Green runs for her and for me to go with her. Plus we will be going with beginners again next year

Plenty of interesting Blues - I like a real mix, wide sweeping pistes, right through to narrow runs through woods

Ability to go for half a day's round trip on Blues - there is a route that goes from Courchevel 1850, over to 1650 and back all on Blues (with a tiny bit of Red). I loved it and would like to do more of that.

Some Reds that I could tackle in the second half of the week - looking to progress

Don't have to spend too long travelling - Advantage Courchevel has is that you don't have to go into the other parts of the Three Valleys if you don't want to, there is plenty to keep you interested in the area, so you don't spend loads of time travelling.

British ski schools - I loved the fact that we had British people teaching us and I would like that again

I think thats it, so anyone has any ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kosciosco, How about Courchevel 1850 wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a serious note, if you liked 1850 then why not look at 1650, 1550, or La Tania. 1650 is gentle blue heaven. Are you looking to do DIY, or have it all arranged for you?, how many in the group ?, preferences for accomodation style (must you have a place on your own), etc etc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpe D'Huez? Covers everything you need on the ski front and also has an excellent British Ski School www.masterclass-ski.co.uk Have a look at our chalet website www.skialacarte.co.uk and PM me if you are interested in a particular week and I can give you prices - we always give special discounts to snowheads! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kosciosco, Megève may well suit - fairly big area (not 3V, obviously), plenty of intermediate terrain, lots of tree-lined stuff - and only a shade over an hour from Geneva Airport. Take a look at Simon Butler Skiing for a package that includes British tuition.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, The only problem I have with 1650 is that it is so far from the ski schools. You either have to get a bus up to 1850 or it will take you an hour to ski over and I don't really want that hassle first thing in the morning.

I like to start ski lessons early in the morning and then that way you have the whole day left after them.

For these reasons I would rule out La Tania too, but I like 1550 - need to convince my mate though. He likes 1850 and is stubborn, which is why I was thinking of another resort.

I have heard that Les Deux Alpes is good, but I don't know whether it fits my criteria.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kosciosco, New Generation - an excellent British run ski school have their original operation in 1650
http://www.skinewgen.com/courchevel1650/index.asp
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1550 is a good option. It's a bubble away from 1850, you can ski from 1850 down to it (or take the bubble). What's so magical to your mate about 1850? It looked pretty ordinary to me (apart from the big swing thing in the shopping centre/ice rink place).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, Didn't know they had a ski school down there

richmond, i agree 1550 seems like a very good option to me, and much cheaper than 1850
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
kosciosco, New Generation - an excellent British run ski school have their original operation in 1650

ESF also have a base in 1650. I'd go with New Generation given the choice though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kosciosco, I think there's a SnowHead with an apartment in 1650?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, There is, Poma has one - again, need to try the old persuasion tactics!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Poma has a place in 1650 (AIR sleeps 6-Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i have talked to Poma about the apartment in 1650 and I reckon it would be a good option if I can persuade my stubborn friend to consider anything but 1850.

If I can't, do you think there are any other resorts which can offer the kind of advantages courchevel has?
ski holidays
kosciosco, as new skiers, why go so large, or so expensive? La Rosiere would be ideal.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Well I guess I like the variety of runs available in the Courchevel area. Thats part of the reason for thinking about going back is that I only really started to tackle Blues on the last few days and I want to go and investigate some more.

Wouldn't La Rosiere be limited? These are the stats I pulled of Iglu:

Advanced Runs 11
Intermediate Runs 20
Beginner Runs 26

And for Courchevel you have:

Advanced Runs 28
Intermediate Runs 146
Beginner Runs 101

Big difference?
snow report
kosciosco, for a skier of your standard, no, and don't forget it is linked with La Thuile in Italy.No British ski school, but the tuition is in good English and excellent. Just don't get Frosty the Snowman started. I would suggest my favourite of Serre Chevalier too, British ski school and easy access to nursery slopes, also nice runs for beginners/early intermediates up the mountain. Smaller resorts, less well-known resorts mean cheaper lift passes, cheaper restaurants etc.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 2-06-06 14:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Very Happy snowHead

kosciosco, I was going to suggest http://www.chamoissiere.co.uk/ in Serre Chevalier. I have heard its lovely there. Courchevel is very nice, but IMHO La Rosiere is a much nicer place. 150km of skiing as opposed to 165km in C, and cheaper everything. I will never forget the conversation I had with the owner of a ski school in 1850 who could not understand why anyone would want to go to Courchevel. He considered it THE most expensive place to ski.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, OK, time to ask a stupid question - In courchevel there is a huge number of runs and in La Rosiere many fewer - so why doesn't that matter?
snow conditions
kosciosco, does Courchevel list all the runs in the 3v? The individual runs may be longer in La Rosiere. I've only skied a day at Courchevel, so can't really say much about it, except that the scenery was gorgeous.
ski holidays
The Courchevel website gives the total number of runs in the local area as 117 so the figures above must be for the 3V.
snow report
Really, does anyone know the numbers for just Courchevel?
ski holidays
kosciosco, As Helen Beaumont, says the resort is really Espace San Bernado. The Italian bit is La Thuile, and The French La Rosiere, a bit like Courchevel and Meribel or an even better example Tignes and Val D'Isere except in Espace San Bernado you have the added charm of 2 completley different cultures. Courchevel has pistes that total about 160 km if you skied them all top to bottom and ESB has 150km, very little difference. Believe me if you are a week 2 skiere then you will NOT ski all of what is available in a week.

Here is a piste map but it is a 2.8MB file. It is a great map and you can zooming and out. http://ski.larosiere.net/pdf/plan_rosieres.pdf

For food and drink La Rosiere is far cheaper than Courchevel & La Thuile is far cheaper than La Rosiere Very Happy

If ypou want any further info then send me a PM coz I think this lot get bored of me going on. Very Happy

It is not however the Apres centre of the Alps.
latest report
Size doesn't matter, because quality of runs is more important than quantity, and you will benefit from doing the same runs several times so that you become familiar with them, so that you can concentrate on technique rather than where the next bump/bend/bottleneck is, and so that you can gauge your progress through the week. You can of course limit yourself to a relatively small number of runs in a big resort, but the nthe prmium price lift pass and other costs is wasted.

I don't know La Rosiere, but I have been to smaller resorts (such as Kitzbuhel, 150km of pistes vs 600km at Courchevel (3V?) vs 150km at La R) which have been every bit as enjoyable as larger ones, and often have more atmosphere (and sometimes better value). I'd back Kitzbuhel over Courchevel any day unless you want the trickier things like the couloirs at Courchevel, and the same may well be true for La R. The big (French) resorts have done a great marketing job; they certainly have some great skiing, but that is not particularly becasuse of their size.

Come to think of it, Kitzbuhel might well suit you. You'd probably ski more reds, but they're easy reds, in general.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I thought the plan was to keep quiet about this "undiscovered jewel" of the Alps wink
snow report
Looking at the map of Espace San Bernado, the problem I would have with it are the number of reds and how few Blues and Greens there are.

I would be looking for a good number of Greens and quite a few Blues and some reds that I could do at the end of Week 2. Thats the reason I like Courchevel as it has this, but as I said before I don't know many other resorts and I am sure there are others which would also cater for those requirements.

I accept what you are saying about why I shouldn't be influenced so much by the number of runs, but the difficulty of runs is really important.
snow report
Kitzbuhel is a very classy place. Having said that, Kaprun is the only place I have skied that I wouldn't go back to at the drop of a hat.
kosciosco, Dont be too fussy. Holidaying is great at mine/your level at most resorts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, half of the reds are really blue. If you look at the main lift Roches Noires and the piste back down again "Tetras" I would say that for a week 2 skier it is perfect. In fact you could spend all day on it. It has no steep sections at all. Getting back to 1650, that is just early intermediate heaven. If gentle is what you really want then you can't go wrong there.
snow conditions
What really annoys me is that I have found the perfect Chalet in Courchevel 1550 but I can't get anyone to get off their @rse to agree to book it!!

They are all telling me that they will think about it in September!! Problem is there are only 3 weeks in Jan left, 1 in February and 3 in March, so i reckon they will all be gone by September!

why are some people so useless!
snow report
kosciosco, Very annoying. We had the same problem trying to get 44 to La Rosiere for next Easter. By the time some had made up their mind I had to take the chalet off hold. Came to book for definate and thhere was nothing suitable in resort left for our week. Ended up just booking for the original 18 that said YES PLEASE.
snow report
I'm only trying to secure a chalet for 6!!! Not even 44!!

Problem i have is that I don't know many people who ski. there are only 3 other couples I know - 1 have a little kid and go with a group of their friends with children, one couple are getting married this year and have no money, so it is down to the other couple and a couple they know and that is all i am trying to get organised!!!

Can you reserve a chalet? Will they hold it for free or do you need to put down a deposit?
ski holidays
You could always ring up and ask them
latest report
I think the problem is that before you're commited skiers, the summer holidays take priority. There'll still be plenty available in September though, although maybe not your first choice.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 2-06-06 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
In general (in my experience) TOs will hold for a few days, which you can renew a few times, but I doubt that you'd get a hold for 3 months. If you book a private chalet, you might be able to persuade them to let you know if they get another attempted booking.

If your mates can't get their s4it together, why not book yourself and tell them where you're going and when and leave it to them?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 2-06-06 15:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The only thing is its a package I would be booking, not direct with the chalet and that is unlikely to be held
snow report
Helen Beaumont, You've hit the nail on the head - went first time and am now completely hooked, I'd do without the summer holiday and have two ski holidays, but I'm the only person I know that thinks that way Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
kosciosco wrote:
I'd do without the summer holiday and have two ski holidays, but I'm the only person I know that thinks that way Crying or Very sad

I think you'll find you 'know' approximately 5,412 who also think that way wink snowHead
ski holidays
kosciosco wrote:
Helen Beaumont, You've hit the nail on the head - went first time and am now completely hooked, I'd do without the summer holiday and have two ski holidays, but I'm the only person I know that thinks that way Crying or Very sad

All the more reason to book your preferred hol now and let the others sort themselves out.
ski holidays
kosciosco, if you'd consider booking direct you may have more choice. www.chaletsdirect.com is a good place to look, you can post your requirements on the bulletin board.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy