Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lofer Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been to Lofer in Austria?Thinking of giving it a go with the kids Feb Half Term 2023.Any feedback would be appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went there over 30 years ago on a school trip. I seem to remember a fairly small ski area but good enough for a school trip. And lots of beer and schnapps that, at the age of 15, we probably shouldn't have been drinking and had us falling over in hotel corridors.

Probably good at half-term if you're looking to escape crowds. I've noticed a few reports on this forum as any reference to Lofer always catches my eye. Have a look a the link below.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60530
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not been there but I've driven through it a lot. It's one of the closest places to Salzburg but not quite big enough for a day, let alone a week. Steinplatte is just around the corner and is bigger but both villages are a bit soulless due to main roads.
The Superski pass would cover both places and a load of other ski areas, plus you are very close to Maria Alm and Leogang/Ski Circus which would make a really good multi-centre trip to places which are pretty quiet during half-term.
If you are driving or fly-driving, the area is great for exploring with the pass giving access to loads of skiing in different resorts. Google maps will give a good idea of what's around but Lofer (for me) is on the edge of a great area and you would be better looking at Hochkonig/Leogang/Wagrain/Ellmau etc for the sake of a few more minutes of transfer. Austrian lifts can easily cope with half-term crowds especially if the Dutch and Bavarian holidays (Fasching/Carnival) don't coincide....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@harvey13, Curious to know why you would choose Lofer over the bigger, more international resorts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've boarded there a few times, as live down the road. I do like it, yes it is small, but if you want to get away from the crowds at half term then head there. Yes not much going on in resort, but as you are with family, then that wont be your priority. Neuwirt Hotel is a pretty decent place to stay. I agree with getting a car, as you can then access Steinplatte, St Johann nearby.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all.@Riccardo, we are 4 men and 9 kids,5 of them 10 or under.Dont need the big busy resorts,as too busy,big area wasted on them.We went Fieberbrunn Feb 22 half term and it was perfect for us.Maybe Lofer is a bit too small.Any off the beaten tracks would be appreciated!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
harvey13 wrote:
Thanks all.@Riccardo, we are 4 men and 9 kids,5 of them 10 or under.Dont need the big busy resorts,as too busy,big area wasted on them.We went Fieberbrunn Feb 22 half term and it was perfect for us.Maybe Lofer is a bit too small.Any off the beaten tracks would be appreciated!

I’d recommend you consider Rauris or Tauplitz, based on your criteria.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@harvey13, have a look at kappl for that age group. Great for kids in that age bracket plus you can use pass to ski ischgl just up the road
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went to Steinplatte in half-term of this year and really enjoyed it. It'd be great for families. All runs lead back to a fairly central place at the bottom of the bowl. Very modern lift system, good snow record and reasonable prices. I'd recommend.

We stayed in Reit im Winkl on the German side for a quicker transfer from Munich (where the flights are much cheaper and at the time the Covid rules were less strict). Small characterful village built around an onion domed church with several restaurants and bars. Perfect for us. From there it's a 5 min free bus to the foot of the slopes at Winklmoosalm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a long weekend there years ago on the reccomendation of my sister who had school trips there in the 80's.
It was about 25 years ago and we booked our flights on "The Internet" which wes a big deal then, the transfer was a local bus that went from in front of a petrol station across from the Salsburg Airport car park.
We stayed in accomodation above an accordion factory also booked online (we were early adoptors Wink )
The owner was a large Austrian woman who wore a durndl who spoke no english. At breakfast she stood by our table shouting ei? (egg?) a phrase me and Mrs S still use.
One freezing foggy day in the back of beyond, we stumbled into a load of truck drivers having a right old wee wee up in a umbrella bar, so we joined them and wobbled back later in the day.
Skiing was ok, we had a great time for a total cost of around £100 each.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i have been there for a weekend. For families a really gut place, good school, but... if you will go in February when the Holland has holidays it is really really full.
Except that really silly, you have to change from 8seat to 4 seat gondel....

https://planetski.eu/2022/02/01/februarys-skiiing-snippets/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kaltenbach/Hochfugen has a great rep for families. And has a narrow gauge railway to other resorts in the valley if that appeals. @SaraJ, would be able to give more detailed advice on the resort. I'd recommend choosing somewhere with accommodation close to the lifts as herding a large group of small children with their boots and skis onto buses is nobody's idea of fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lofer is where we did the first of our ski trips and where our kids learnt to ski.

We always stayed in Haus Patricia and used the Ski Depot at inter sport

We now go to Soll as as kids are now young adults everyone prefers livelier nightlife but if we have car rental always do a day trip to Lofer, this year first week in March and did 2 day trips to Lofer and had the best powder days in years.

Enjoy Lofer, Will always hold a special place in our hearts Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all.Some great info to ponder over!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flight prices for Feb half term are really taking the pi$s. £950 return Innsbruck
snow report
@harvey13, if you want to visit Lofer it is much closer to fly to Salzburg Airport.
latest report
@harvey13, we've got luxury 9-seat vans available at £1860 for a 10-night rental on those dates. Two vans with 2 adults in each to share the driving, that's about £3500 for the vans and then, maybe, another £2500 for fuel, crossing and tolls to get you there. Of course, you have to do the driving - but it's half the price of the flights that you mention and you can use the vans in resort to get to the other ski areas on the lift pass.

As I've said elsewhere, apologies for mentioning the vans on this forum. But I do think the vans could be of use to skiers looking to cut costs and do things differently. And when someone starts mentioning half-term flights around £1000 per person it does make me think. Is this spam, I don't know? But I think the vans could genuinely help with the OP's holiday.

Or you could book a 16 berth luxury sleeper coach with 2 x drivers return for £16000. Sounds a lot of cash, but not that much different to the cost of the flights you're looking at. We could drive you overnight to resort and back, you'd get 8 x days' skiing, and we could drive you to a different ski resort each day if you wanted. Not cheap, but you'd get an experience for your money and an extra 33% skiing time (8 days instead of 6). This is sort of market research on my part, so I hope nobody minds too much. But when you're talking £1000 per person for flights, the coaches don't seem ridiculous, do they?

Have a look below. £100 discount per van for SnowHeads if you promise to send us some photos of the vans in resort surrounded by snow!

https://www.vansforbands.co.uk/winter-holidays
ski holidays
Update.We ditched Lofer and are going to Solden.Staying a bit up the hill in Innerwald.Looks perfect.Ski in ski out,with apres bars near our accommodation and blue runs for the kids to sledge down,whilst we have a few beers.Long shot but has anyone ever stayed in Innerwald?!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy