Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Ski Podcast Survey 2022 - Win Atomic Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
If you are a listener of The Ski Podcast, I'd really appreciate if if you could take a couple of minutes to tell me what you think about The Ski Podcast in our 2022 survey.
We have two pairs of Atomic ski goggles to give away, plus other prizes including beanies and buffs from Tirol, Les 2 Alpes and Val d'Isere.
You can complete the survey here (it will only take a couple of minutes): https://bit.ly/theskipodcastsurvey

NB Exact model of goggles TBC. Likely to be worth ~£100
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done. I don't listen to every episode having once been a dedicated listener. That's largely down to my reduced amount of commuting meaning I have to be more selective with the podcasts I listen to plus of course the futility of listening during the ski year that never was. In my view that means you need to be punchy and relevant to be worth my limited attention, less generic magaziney pieces and advertorial , more unique perspective.

NB Not having a go - just putting feedback in context for my circumstances. Of course the market might all be in generic magaziney pieces (but then do those folks actually download podcasts in a niche pursuit?) e.g I occasionally mountain bike or go for a swim but I wouldn't download a podcast on either.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Done
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PS I didnt put it into the survey as I hadnt thought of it. It only arose as I wanted to find the part in the latest podcast for that Volkl ski review. Could you put markers or times in the show notes for the various segments so they can be skipped to if wanted?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ster wrote:
PS I didnt put it into the survey as I hadnt thought of it. It only arose as I wanted to find the part in the latest podcast for that Volkl ski review. Could you put markers or times in the show notes for the various segments so they can be skipped to if wanted?

It's a good point and I used to do it, but it took so much time (and that was when Jim did the editing). Need to get back in the habit
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Done. I don't listen to every episode having once been a dedicated listener. That's largely down to my reduced amount of commuting meaning I have to be more selective with the podcasts I listen to plus of course the futility of listening during the ski year that never was. In my view that means you need to be punchy and relevant to be worth my limited attention, less generic magaziney pieces and advertorial , more unique perspective.
NB Not having a go - just putting feedback in context for my circumstances. Of course the market might all be in generic magaziney pieces (but then do those folks actually download podcasts in a niche pursuit?) e.g I occasionally mountain bike or go for a swim but I wouldn't download a podcast on either.

Interesting. I can tell you that looking at the interim survey results, you can't please all the people, all the time. I'm really interested in what people think about the length of the podcast. I've wondered myself if it should be shorter - I also have problems fitting in all the listening I'd like to do, so many podcasts, so little time.

Of interest, are you more inclined to listen to the shorter 'bonus' episodes?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For me anything up to an hour is fine but it doesn't have to be an hour.

If you only have enough good quality content for 45 minutes then leave at that.

I like consistency of delivery - so I don't want 1.5 hours this week and then nothing for 3 weeks. Better to do 2 x 45 minute slots split over the same time period.

I agree I can't listen to all the podcasts I want to. But that's like anything.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
iainm wrote:

Of interest, are you more inclined to listen to the shorter 'bonus' episodes?

Yep if it sounds interesting. 20-30 mins isn't a huge commitment on a drive 45-60 definitley feels like it. My overall approach is look at your listing and if the episode sounds predictable I'll probably skip downloading unless a guest captures my attention. Lots of BBC shows are tightly edited to around 30 mins, even when they are podcasts because of the scheduling discipline and I think it's a good principle. OTOH some US podcasts definitely abuse the lack of time discipline with the typical commercial TV structure constantly trailing what they are going to talk about later etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@iainm, I’d go for 30 min episodes with bonus one’s on more in depth topics or when you get a really Interesting interview
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I prefer shorter snappy podcasts, but with a 40min dog walk each morning I can get thru most episodes by the time I'm back and have made a coffee etc etc

I did vote no to the snow reports, I just don't think they are needed in the modern world, by the time the podcast is out or listened to, the snow reports are out of date. Be interested to see if other responders agreed or not?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
I did vote no to the snow reports, I just don't think they are needed in the modern world, by the time the podcast is out or listened to, the snow reports are out of date. Be interested to see if other responders agreed or not?

Definitely this ( as I put in the survey (and wasnt there a survey before this one?)), they are just not needed. And an hour is fine for me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree on the snow reports
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ideal for me would be 40 mins for main episode, 20 min for specials

Snow reports could be tweaked

For those spending the season in resort the format could be -

This is the snowfall and conditions to date
This is what it's like at the moment and for the next 7 days (assuming that the podcast will be aired in that 7-day period)
Longer range forecast and upcoming events
ski holidays
If you want to know what the weather, conditions are like in resort don't you will seek that information out not wait for a podcast to come out?

These days there are online resources that can get you the info in minutes.

Or am I missing something?
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
If you want to know what the weather, conditions are like in resort don't you will seek that information out not wait for a podcast to come out?

25cm in the past 24hrs
200cm base at summit
50cm base at village

will not tell you how the resort has been skiing
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
Layne wrote:

25cm in the past 24hrs
200cm base at summit
50cm base at village

but pictures, actual reports from people out there on snowheads,facebook/twitter/other sites live updates/videos etc all do that very nicely.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Layne wrote:

25cm in the past 24hrs
200cm base at summit
50cm base at village

but pictures, actual reports from people out there on snowheads,facebook/twitter/other sites live updates/videos etc all do that very nicely.

Sure

But if you're a regular listener to the podcast and the same people report each episode you start to build up a bank of info you can trust

Just my opinion
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Layne wrote:

25cm in the past 24hrs
200cm base at summit
50cm base at village

But there is more information than that available.

Plus.. either you are out there and skiing it. Or you not and it's off passing interest.

I got two weeks a year. Just before I go and while I am out there I will be tracking the weather, freezing level, wind, etc so that I've a good idea before going out what to expect, where best to ski. And then when out reacting to what I find on the ground. When I am not due to go out in the near future it's largely of passing interest.

Also, the reports come from various places and for most they only have interest in one.

Alll I am saying is personally I find that section of the podcast of little relevance/use to me.
snow conditions
I find anyone associated with a resort will not give you a totally honest take on how it has been skiing - not to the extent you can make meaningful decisions on it. Lots of opportunity for people to say "it's been good, we've had fun, there are some good stashes if you know where to go" whereas you can make your own mind up more objectively if it's been e.g. 3 weeks since the latest snowfall or refreshes have been 1-2 cm rather than 15-20cm.

Now someone like Steve in VDI possibly gives a better picture over a longer period of time. But as I'm not going to VDI it's specific value to me is general interest re life in a ski resort and perhaps an overall sense of whether it's an average, strong or poor year snow wise. But I get the latter from reading trip reports and resort updates here anyway so again not direct "value".
snow conditions
Excellent feedback thanks. I'm going to close the survey tomorrow (and yes, there was another one 2 years ago) and then I'll draw my conclusions after I've had a look at the numbers and comments. I'll announce the winners fo the prizes in the next podcast, coming out 08 July
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy