Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler hotels or other resort recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
abc wrote:
What's the point of constantly rehashing the justification of your own personal preference?

Never mind criticizing the preferences of others!

Some people likes to stay put and discover the hidden treasures. Others prefer to skim the surface and get an overview before getting sucked into one specific place. Neither were wrong and each has its benefits.

Err...???
You do realise how forums work right? Someone asks a question, someone else gives an opinion - see how that works?

Like I didn't agree with Creekside being ideal... why because I happen to know that there's a bus strike that would make getting to the village harder because its in the local news- guess it probably doesn't make the news in the UK (or NY)? Would think it would be resolved, but who knows? and added I'd look at the village because that's my personal preference (though actually I stay in Cheakamus Crossing so even further out)

Philwig gave perfectly good reasons for not agreeing with me as to going to the more "hardcore" interior resorts but suggested some other places as did others, which I'd agree with too
As someone who lives in the north shore and skis the north shore mountains of which Cypress is one, I both disagreed with his thoughts on skiing at Cypress - though also pointed out the plus points (have you skied there, perhaps you can share your wisdom?) and agreed that stopping off may not be a great plan. I'm pretty sure we've disagreed plenty on other points (such as winter tires wink ) but I still value philwigs thoughts and opinions as they are good one's even if I don't agree.
Boarder2020 also gave good reasons that going on a road trip may not fit the bill - all good info I'd have thought?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stuarth, exactly. It's the debate of the pros and cons of various places which enable an OP or other interested reader to decide what sort of skier/holidaymaker they are and then have a better chance of getting a better fit.

I both agree with @abc's point that WB is a good entry point into N American skiing as it compares most closely to Euro mega resorts (multiple village bases, no of lifts, km of piste etc and short well served transfer from airport) so will be intuitively familiar. But it comes with multiple downsides including cost, crowds, variable weather etc and is like an American tribute act to Canada rather than being Canada itself.

I also believe that BC to Alberta Rockies is one of the best places in the world for a ski road trip with some total bangers of ski hills to discover but for best enjoyment you probably need 3 weeks and at least 1 megapass/season pass as well as being comfortable driving in sketchy conditions on remote roads.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

BC to Alberta Rockies is one of the best places in the world for a ski road trip with some total bangers of ski hills to discover but for best enjoyment you probably need 3 weeks and at least 1 megapass/season pass as well as being comfortable driving in sketchy conditions on remote roads.

Agree. I'd also add your priorities have to lie with the skiing. If you enjoy the off the slopes entertainment of the Alps the likes of golden and fernie might be a little underwhelming!

Unfortunately there's no one pass covering them all. RCR super pass is the most comprehensive but no revy, sunshine, or Pano. Not sure why the resorts can't get together and come up with a powder highway pass. Same with kicking horse and revelstoke with them being next door to each other and attracting the same kind of crowd - even just a day or two free at the other resort with a season pass seems like a potential marketing strategy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boarder2020, Best combo is probably Epic + Mtn Collective or Ikon Base, but that gets kinda pricey in passes probably still around USD75 a day over 3 weeks. A saving relative to window rates though plus you can use days in Europe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think the OP asked what anyone's personal preference was. I didn't give mine.

--
On the pass thing (and off topic!), I think driving around is a bit of a minority sport, albeit one I've indulged in quite a bit. I can't therefore see a massive commercial drive to "fix up" safari passes or anything. Individual hills have reciprocal agreements I think, but really those are to encourage locals to buy a season pass whilst not being limited to their local hill. That's not the UK tourist market, I think.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, agree roadtripping in winter is definitely a minority sport. Few have the time or stamina to do it justice. In that respect the Powder Highway is more of a marketing fantasy than a practical reality. But the advent of the megapasses has made it more plausible particularly in parts of the US - Ikon is perfectly set up for a 2-3 week trip ex SLC or Denver. Anyone keen to experience N American skiing and some of the best sightseeing of the American West should certainly think about that at least once.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I don't think the OP asked what anyone's personal preference was. I didn't give mine.

Not explicitly, but I think when you ask on a forum for advice about accomodations and resorts you expect some input due to personal preferences. Imo there's nothing wrong with it as long as you acknowledge the OPs requirements (i.e. for "I'm a beginner skier looking at Andorra" a reply of "andorra is rubbish Chamonix is much better" wouldn't be a suitable reply) and you justify your reasons (i.e. I stayed at this accomodation and would really recommend it because X,y,z).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, could not agree more, especially the last sentence. Having done about 50 such trips, I would be happy to assist anyone so inclined.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:

That's exactly my thought. That said,
boarder2020 wrote:

I think when you ask on a forum for advice about accomodations and resorts you expect some input due to personal preferences. Imo there's nothing wrong with it as long as you acknowledge the OPs requirements and you justify your reasons (i.e. I stayed at this accomodation and would really recommend it because X,y,z).

Since the OP had not come back to offer any clarification of which of the many suggestions hit the spot. It's now a fair game for others to drift it to defend their own personal preferences. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^^
I guess I’m thinking from my own perspective. I wouldn’t travel to Canada for less than about 3 weeks so I always do multi centre trips.
I don’t consider Whistler to Revelstoke or Rossland a huge drive.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig wrote:

On the pass thing (and off topic!), I think driving around is a bit of a minority sport, albeit one I've indulged in quite a bit. I can't therefore see a massive commercial drive to "fix up" safari passes or anything. Individual hills have reciprocal agreements I think, but really those are to encourage locals to buy a season pass whilst not being limited to their local hill. That's not the UK tourist market, I think.

Driving around to sample multiple mountains is more of a North American (aka "local") thing, mostly a result of the relatively small acreage of our mountains.

But instead of 3 weeks of 6 resorts, it's more often a 2-3 mountain in 1 week. We already know what North American skiing is like because we live here. So we're just looking for the niche of what each mountain will offer. So a day or two in one mountain makes sense to get a "feel" for return visit in the future. Ikon and Mountain Collective definitely play on that angle!

It's very different than when Brits coming over to have a completely different experience from Europe. For that, they're really better off staying put and get the most out of a decent sized mountain (or two), instead of wasting time driving all over the place.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for your replies and sorry I’ve been MIA.

Great to read through everyone’s views and areas I’ve not come across mentioned.

For our first ski trip over the pond I’m thinking of just trying to keep it simple and stick to the one resort - appreciate there sounds better ways to see other areas but hoping we can explore further in the future.

Thinking of going to sticking to whistler in either crystal lodge or the fairmont (like the look at that but probably do the whole trip at crystal for the same price as fairmont). Appears much cheaper to do package with crystal ski than DIY.

A little surprised to hear the rain concerns for whistler but outside of our control just fingers crossed. The Feb dates work for us as it tag on to partners half term.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy