Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for the dry slope

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I’d really love some advice please. I’m looking to get some skis for the dry slope that are in better condition that the hire ones. I need something to make best use of the short width and length of a dry slope. I ski pretty much parallel the whole time, although not as well as on snow. Id wondered about some slalom skis, but don’t want to break myself. I can carve on snow, but again, not as well on the dry slope. I’m 6’ 2” (188 cm) and about 13.5 st. I had a look at these: https://elanskisales.co.uk/slx-fusion-165-110-p.asp

They look like a good deal, but I’m worried they’re too much and possibly too short for me.

Key questions:
What type of ski should I go for?
Is a true slalom ski likely to result in injury at my stage?
Is 165 too short for my height/weight?

All thoughts welcome! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cmoore, to give you some thoughts, i've started doing some dry slope race training over the past 6 months (i'm pants, but it's fun). All the adult guys race on something around the 155 length, so shorter than a normal slalom ski, some even go down to a 150 jr FIS ski. My skis are 157, I have got hold of a set of 164 SL skis last week that someone in the club was chucking away, and i've started using them to teach on at the dry slope, and also when we're doing some instructor training. They're a nice length on the dry slope.

You're fairly tall, so i'd maybe be inclined to go slightly longer, but anything between 165-170 I think would be ok on dry slope.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As @swskier, says most adult men ski 155 cm slalom skis on the dry slope. They are ideal even if you don't intend to race (though I'm sure you'll decide to enter a fun race at some point).

I wouldn't worry about them being too short, you won't sink far onto the bristles. In fact I'm thinking of moving down from 155s to 150s.

You may find someone at your local ski club selling some with a bit of life left in them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cmoore, 155 is the length we all use for racing..... It might be worth looking at Ebay or Skibay and seeing what is available secondhand. If you don't intend to race you'll find almost any piste-oriented ski 155-165 cm will do. You'll need to keep those edges sharp though so an edge sharpener will be a useful investment. If you are not yet carving consistently on plastic, an softer pair of skis may be more friendly until you get the race bug....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1069886183139959

The link to skibay, which is a facebook group people use for selling skis, and skiing paraphernalia.

Plenty on there no doubt, including a nice pair of atomic 165s if you choose to go down the slightly longer route.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy