Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why go during half term?

Poster: A snowHead
Just planning our trips this year with the family and trawling the forums for all the good advice. It looks like we will sneak a week before Christmas this season. We have a youngish family 10/12 year old and have now been for 5 family trips, the kids love it and would now rather go skiing than a sun holiday given the choice.

It got me wondering after reading through the forum why families bother to go during Feb Half Term. Endless threads about traffic, no ski school, crowded pistes and lift queues.

I have only been a couple of times in Feb it wasn't half term and wasn't with kids but after both trips we said we wouldn't go again; snow wasn't great (I know could be the same at other times) it was very busy in both places we have been and was more expensive than other months. We have had great trips at Easter time which was perfect with the children when they were younger as it wasn't so cold. We also have had some of the best snow in April. Without kids we chose to go in January as was much cheaper.

Last year we had a great trip in early December, cheaper lift passes and accommodation, quiet slopes (and roads) , ski school wasn't open but were fortunate enough to get a decent deal on private lessons for the kids and even had a decent amount of snow while we were there.

Given that you can ski in December and April holidays , what am I missing with the obsession to go over half term?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mid-season so aurguably the best snow?
Some families might not want to tkae thir lids out of school or may be wary of the school fines if they do?
Better time for some than Christmas/New Year or Easter
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
December is a hit and miss in terms of snow coverage, as it's early-ish season. You therefore have a dilemma: high altitude resorts with potentially bad weather and dull landscape, but good chances of snow, or lower resorts with a tree cover but potentially little or no snow, even snowmaking doesn't always help if it's too warm.

HT is statistically as good as it gets snow wise, so you have a lot more nice tree level resorts to choose from. But - expensive and busy.

If you want some snow magic during the dull UK winter and stick to the school holidays, those are you choices.

On top of that Xmas/NY gives you a chance to spend 2 weeks in the mountains, rather than just one. For us this is the deciding factor - first week passes very quickly with lessons, the second week we can relax and ski as a family all day.

For just one week I would probably prefer HT.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many people simply have too much going on at Xmas/NY to go skiing.

I don't get why more people don't ski at Easter though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our kids are about the same age as yours and we have been to Skiwelt in Austria and Grindelwald in Switzerland in half term. We’ve had mostly great weather so February give you a bit more daylight and a better chance of good weather. It hasn’t been too busy, probably due to both locations being quite big ski areas and with wide runs.

I’ve just come back from Hochgurgl Austria and it was extremely quiet during the week on the slopes. I can see the appeal in December. I think the downsides could be less light, I did the last run down at 4pm and the sun had gone down and at 4:10 it was starting to get dark. I think in December there will less light.

Also when I was in Hochgurgl not all runs were open yet. I think come mid season almost everything is open.

I have also done a new year trip in Austria and remember there being a lot of rain or sleet, some strong winds also closed the lifts up on Karpun. They sounded air raid like sirens to let you know to get off the mountain Shocked

Mind you, I’ve also experienced white out days and rain/sleet at half term. But it’s definitely mostly been glorious sunshine Very Happy

So half term for us equals longer days, better weather, more slopes open. We can also get into the hotel outdoor pool at 5pm with a bit of daylight left. That’s quite a magical moment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@therock, We like going in Feb half term as the snow is usually at its best at this time of the year and we don't have to worry as much about going to a high resort as if we were going over Christmas or NY. Also, we usually see family over Christmas and NY and want to celebrate these holidays at home in the "normal" way. We are not interested in going skiing in the Easter holidays, as we like to go to a warm country instead at this time of the year (e.g. Morocco or the Mediterranean), as summer is usually soon on its way and it would feel strange to go back to winter and skiing then in my opinion.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Motherofthree, Easter isn't winter its spring in the mountains and the best time to ski.
We ski xmas and new year, Feb half term and Easter 2weeks and the Easter weeks are the best
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are going to skive off from school, I would suggest you make it a surprise trip just before half term, so the kids can't blab about it.
You could send an email to the school saying you have Covid or something.
Then all you have to do is make sure they put enough sunscreen on so they dont have "Goggle Marks"
Shocked Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Because it’s the most likely best snow conditions, extended family commitments may preclude Christmas and the timings of Easter differs every year so may or may not coincide with the end of/post skiing season.

Also, if your kids are at public school, you simply won’t be able to take them out.

Personally I’m happy to take my kids out of state school to go the last week of Jan.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We'd rather not go over Christmas and prefer that at home. Plus, snow can be hit/miss, colder and less daylight hours.

February half term is a pain but we tolerate it by leaving Thursday night to get ahead of the driving crowd. Yes, it stretches the travel out but we're up in resort very early and get kitted out while rental shops are empty. The lift queues are what they are.

Friends only go at Easter with the kids but split time between skiing and spring activities. We went this year and loved it. However had to go high and didn't enjoy the crusty starts in the morning. But it's a good trade off to crowds and traffic plus kids don't have to go back to school knackered.

We'd definitely do Easter again but have GCSEs next year so can't. Will do the following year though. Bit disappointed we didn't try Easter sooner to be fair.

However, while Easter is cheaper (got a great apartment in Tignes VC this year) the lift pass price is way more than we'd normally pay in a smaller, lower height resort in February. So pretty much equalled out.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've done all three with our 2 boys - Christmas, half term and Easter.

Christmas can be hit and miss with snow (currently checking Grand Massif forecasts like a mad woman as we're going on 16th!) and deals can be much better depending how it falls but on the whole, the wider family takes precedent over the Alps.

Half term we try and find a smaller resort for good value and it tends to be low key with just the 4 of us so it's quite nice to have a family break. Yes the traffic can be horrible but by staying in a smaller resort means they're not as busy as the mega resorts.

Easter invariably has been a Bash so fabulously sociable for us and the kids. Tends to be a much easier drive as the roads are mainly clear of traffic and it is lovely sitting apres in the sunshine.

They all have their pros and cons, main deciding factor each year is our time commitments and available deals.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Regularly ski Feb HT busier but never really a problem generally lifts a little busier but higher lifts not busy at all and still found myself alone on pistes. Also ski at HT because that is the school holidays and the law suck up or don't ski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OP’s question never proposed taking kids out of school - they just queried why most folk go at half term rather than Dec holidays or Easter holidays.

We’ve always had lovely times at Easter and it would be my pick over half term definitely because of the crazy busy restos, pistes et al.

In Tignes we’ve had a few good years at Dec time with good conditions but the short days suck - I’d probably stick half-term at the bottom of the priority pile and Easter at the top.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grinning, But the OP did mention that they went in early December, which would usually mean taking kids out of school.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There will be more of the semi rich not going at half term with the cost of living I reckon
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, Thanks for the tip about skiing at Easter, I would be up for trying it one year. The past couple of years we have found Easter a good time to bag an all inclusive deal to a sun destination (cheaper than in the summer school holidays), so we like to use the Easter holidays for a sun & beach holiday. We like to have different types of holidays throughout the year and only go skiing once per year.
snow report
We are going Monday to Friday, weekend flight price difference covered tunnel and accommodation for Easter.
latest report
Some really interesting points and tips I had never considered.

Light is an issue but the kids usually tired around the time the lifts are closing in December but I’m sure that will change as they get older.

I like the idea of finding some other smaller resorts. We have always tended to go for the higher resorts in December /April for the snow reliability. Feb obviously opens up other options which we have always been interested in

I am not taking mine out of school just fortunate that our holiday start is a week earlier so have the option and actually noticed a lot of flexibility from accommodation for mid week start and finish in December.

I guess overall it comes down to snow conditions probably being better in Feb and having more options. I’m not convinced it’s enough to make me switch timing for now though and actually re-considering April over December reading all the posts!
snow report
We go at Feb half term because the kids are off school, we all enjoy skiing, and I’m not sure what else we’d do with a weeks holiday in Feb. Yes it’s a bit busier but I think a lot of the problems are overhyped, either by people who remember what it was like 10+ years ago before lift upgrades, or by people who didn’t plan (possibly due to inexperience) so would hit peak congestion on lifts/at restaurants etc.

We ski 8.30am-2pm, with a quick sandwich lunch at 11-1130. That way we avoid the crowds at restaurants, and ski while everyone else is eating. There’s plenty of other alternate approaches (get up late, ski late) as well, that all avoid a9-12,1-3 pattern that the crowds tend to follow.
latest report
@Motherofthree, horses for courses. I hate beach package holidays. Sand, salty water, packed in to hotels with embarrassing larger guzzling junk food eating British Chavs. That's my 2 experiences so far,
ski holidays
We always went in Feb and April when kids were at school. Feb usually had a better snow particularly on lower slopes. April usually had lower prices and quieter slopes, though if the snow was poor low down which it could be at times the upper slopes where there was snow could be even busier than Feb.
snow conditions
Easter can be great but expect slushy afternoons. It can change very fast, even as early as 11 or 12 o clock, and even highest north facing slopes in high resorts can very quickly become slush fests. (A little bit of slush is fine and even fun, but too much is not fun at all). First hour is often very hard underfoot so window period of nice snow conditions can be very short. So for serious skiers you have to accept compromised afternoons.

PS yes it can snow a lot in April but again by 11am, any easily accessible snow can generally hardly be called "powder" after 11am. A good guide should be able to keep you in good stuff till 1 or 2pm though
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, We really enjoy all-inclusive beach package holidays, but then we only stay in 5* resorts where the food and drinks are always good (in our experience) and there are not many British chavs lol.
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
@Motherofthree, horses for courses. I hate beach package holidays. Sand, salty water, packed in to hotels with embarrassing larger guzzling junk food eating British Chavs. That's my 2 experiences so far,

That would be my idea of hell (apart from the beach/sea, I love that bit), which is why I tend don’t tend to go anywhere that is frequented by British people.
snow report
Feb HT can be a busy week in France as it often coincides with UK hols and the Parisian week ...

Feb HT in Italy on the other hand - doesn't really exist ? Although it can still be busy in the week Shrove Tuesday falls (akak Carnivale) so beware of when that falls.

Pick a resort in the Aosta valley (as Dolomites resorts will have Germans and Dutch on Half Term hols) and so long as its not pancake day week - you might well be fine!

The bigger issue is the price hikes from TO's.... (and airline prices if DIY).

Always consult the EU school holiday thread - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939
snow report
@snowdave, Out of curiosity where is it that the lifts open at 8:30?

I ski in Les Arcs a lot and it may be linited to resorts with good public transport links but I've never noticed the slopes being any quieter between 12:00 and 14:00, nor on Saturdays. In fact Saturdays are often busy with various skis clubs out. The quietest time is from 15:00 to 17:00
snow report
Quote:

Out of curiosity where is it that the lifts open at 8:30?

Sorry I have just recalled - Japan
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

That would be my idea of hell (apart from the beach/sea, I love that bit), which is why I tend don’t tend to go anywhere that is frequented by British people.

I would argue you get similar behaviour in most large ski resorts. Just ski past any Foile Douche at 4pm for evidence.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, I have been to some resorts which had some lifts opening that time and never been to Japan.
ski holidays
therock wrote:
Just planning our trips this year with the family and trawling the forums for all the good advice. It looks like we will sneak a week before Christmas this season. We have a youngish family 10/12 year old and have now been for 5 family trips, the kids love it and would now rather go skiing than a sun holiday given the choice.

It got me wondering after reading through the forum why families bother to go during Feb Half Term. Endless threads about traffic, no ski school, crowded pistes and lift queues.

I have only been a couple of times in Feb it wasn't half term and wasn't with kids but after both trips we said we wouldn't go again; snow wasn't great (I know could be the same at other times) it was very busy in both places we have been and was more expensive than other months. We have had great trips at Easter time which was perfect with the children when they were younger as it wasn't so cold. We also have had some of the best snow in April. Without kids we chose to go in January as was much cheaper.

Last year we had a great trip in early December, cheaper lift passes and accommodation, quiet slopes (and roads) , ski school wasn't open but were fortunate enough to get a decent deal on private lessons for the kids and even had a decent amount of snow while we were there.

Given that you can ski in December and April holidays , what am I missing with the obsession to go over half term?

Could agree more - I go with my two and have done about 4 times - not every year because of the expense. I have never been at HT for all the reasons you mention and always go at Easter. However, for me, looking at expense, airports from Manc, easy transfer, snow sure and high; it does leave you limited.

This year I did the sums and I've bit the bullet and we're going to Banff - cheaper and none of the above issue!!
ski holidays
I have done pre-Chrismas when school holidays allow, New Year, Easter and Feb half term. All done to what else is happening in our lives.

Sometimes found Feb horrifically busy (Bansko I am looking at you), but Feb half term just gone foound resort lovely and quiet. Although Geneva was manic.

Following season due to A-Level exams looking at Feb half term again. I have a plan which i am hoping will work out not too busy or expansive
snow conditions
[quote="Gaz_H"]
therock wrote:

This year I did the sums and I've bit the bullet and we're going to Banff - cheaper and none of the above issue!!

Are you going in February? interesting just had a look at Feb prices compared with Europe and there is not a lot in it!

I do remember North America lift passes being generally very expensive
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
I have done pre-Chrismas when school holidays allow, New Year, Easter and Feb half term. All done to what else is happening in our lives.

Sometimes found Feb horrifically busy (Bansko I am looking at you), but Feb half term just gone foound resort lovely and quiet. Although Geneva was manic.

Following season due to A-Level exams looking at Feb half term again. I have a plan which i am hoping will work out not too busy or expansive

I am curious to know these smaller resorts everyone is mentioning in all but name!
ski holidays
[quote="therock"]
Gaz_H wrote:
therock wrote:

Are you going in February? interesting just had a look at Feb prices compared with Europe and there is not a lot in it!

I do remember North America lift passes being generally very expensive

+1 similarly interested. What is our per head figure, if you dont mind sharing and what does that include?
ski holidays
therock wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

I am curious to know these smaller resorts everyone is mentioning in all but name!

Half term I havd done Radstadt, Salen, Serre Chevalier and Champoluc in addition to Bansko (the one I wouldn't go back to). For next season eyeing up somewhere on Sella Ronda with flights to Venice via Bournemouth (Ryanair gulp!)
ski holidays
Serre Chevalier was busy, so wont rush back for half term. Champoluc we in one point we encountered and Esprit ski school group waiting for more adults to appear at lift to help youngsters up and we split up to provide more assistance
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Out of curiosity where is it that the lifts open at 8:30?

Sorry I have just recalled - Japan

Not sure UK half term is a big issue for Japan Puzzled

Argentiere historically has opened the main Grands Montets telecabine at 8.30am once the season gets busier.
ski holidays
People in the UK tend to forget that the Europeans also have school holidays and these are more impactful than our own. The majority of Feb is usually a write off for France as any given week is school holidays for a significant part of the country.

People also tend to think Feb has the best snow and completely forget about school holidays.
snow report
therock wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

I would argue you get similar behaviour in most large ski resorts. Just ski past any Foile Douche at 4pm for evidence.

I avoid the big ski resorts too snowHead
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
therock wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

I avoid the big ski resorts too snowHead

Very Happy reminds me of Michael Macintyre
[url=]

http://youtube.com/v/gU3DXcrJ1RY[/url]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy