Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train to Les Gets?

Poster: A snowHead
This isn't strictly a ski question, but I figure this is probably one of the most likely places to find people that have done something similar. We are intending to head to Les Gets this summer with mountain bikes and we are dabbling with the idea of getting the train. It's more expensive than flying but it would mean we didn't have to bother dismantling bikes and might just be a nicer experience generally.

Without bikes, it looks like it would in theory be pretty straightforward to get pretty close to the resort where my brother would be able to pick us up with a van as he'll already be there with his family. However, I really have no idea how much the bikes would complicate things. There would be 3 or 4 of us so quite a large volume of bike to be stashed somewhere. Are the trains setup for taking large bits of kit? Do they charge more for taking sports equipment like they do on planes. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can certainly get easily to Cluses, from which there is a bus service to Les Gets. Not sure about their policy on bicycles, they are pretty regular trains so there is a good chance they carry bikes.

According to a friend, if you opt for flying there is a good cycle track which runs pretty much from the airport and along the Arve Valley.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Cluses was where we were looking to aim for. If we were flying we would just get a hire car or bus or something to resort. Chucking it into Google, it says it's a 3 and half hour ride which isn't that bad, but I think that assumes on road with road bikes, not MTBs with a week's worth of gear in tow, especially as the bikes are partially dismantled for the flight and then you also have a bike bag to deal with as well. I guess my query is really about how easy it is to get to cluses with bikes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately, it looks like Eurostar aren't taking bikes at the moment: https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/bikes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@el nombre, Perhaps not much use to you but the only time we caught a train to Cluses was from Lyon. There was plenty of space for bikes/ski racks on the train.

Where are you planning to start from? Are you taking the ferry to Calais or starting from somewhere else in Europe? It may make a big difference if you have to catch a TGV for part of the journey. From my reccolections there is not much space on a TGV for big bits of luggage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Unfortunately, it looks like Eurostar aren't taking bikes at the moment: https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/bikes

Hmm yeah, that's not ideal. I've messaged Eurostar to see if they are back up and running by the time we're looking to go

johnE wrote:
@el nombre, Perhaps not much use to you but the only time we caught a train to Cluses was from Lyon. There was plenty of space for bikes/ski racks on the train.

Where are you planning to start from? Are you taking the ferry to Calais or starting from somewhere else in Europe? It may make a big difference if you have to catch a TGV for part of the journey. From my reccolections there is not much space on a TGV for big bits of luggage.

The intention was to go the full way on the train so Eurostar from London to Paris, then the rest of the way on whatever domestic services are available. Research hasn't really got much further than sticking the journey into trainline.com so far, but from that it didn't look too bad. Just a 20mins cycle across the middle of Paris to get from gare du Nord to gare de Lyon plus one extra change. Part of that is TGV though so could be an issue
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Info on taking bicycles on French trains here:
https://www.sncf.com/en/passenger-offer/travel-for-everyone/bike-on-board
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
el nombre wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:

Hmm yeah, that's not ideal. I've messaged Eurostar to see if they are back up and running by the time we're looking to go

If the Eurostar doesn't work, could a possibility be trains to Dover, foot/bike passenger on a ferry, and then train from Calais down to Cluses?

Looks to be just between 9-10hrs and 2 changes. Paris and Bellegarde-sur-Valserine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugarmoma666 wrote:

They stopped taking bikes during Covid and are conveniently avoiding putting the service back in place. Probably caused them no end of hassle and loved the excuse to stop it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Info on taking bicycles on French trains here:
https://www.sncf.com/en/passenger-offer/travel-for-everyone/bike-on-board

This link still says you can book bike space on a Eurostar! (I guess it is out of date)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Gets/Morzine are offering a discount on the ski pass to anyone travelling there by train. Very good idea.

https://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/0/20142/morzine-offers-lift-pass-discount-train-travellers.page?fbclid=IwAR2JpknXq9pbKEdu6tq2dy7iAI9Pwy0bEeIdnnyCWbSG_QWIhdUdGNOZ3To
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@el nombre,

This shows the trains for the ski season. They will probably be different out of the ski season.

https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/les-gets

I don't know if the info is up to date I was simply aware of the Snow Carbon website.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Timmycb5, great idea but how actually feasible to find public transport up from / down to Cluses or Thonon after a late or before an early train?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, OP does saya his brother will already be there with a van so could pick them up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, depends. Taxi Morzine are only doing GVA runs on the weekends this season, but they’d be good for a midweek transfer. Otherwise there is public transport from Thonon that is timed to coincide with the trains
latest report
@Timmycb5,
Quote:

there is public transport from Thonon that is timed to coincide with the trains

How very joined up! Impressed Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy