Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All year round skiing in France - and not in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, at Amnéville. Never heard of it? Well the French are catching on. They're always a bit slow off the mark as we know Wink, but they've finally got around to opening their own version of the snowdome, the first in France and allegedly the largest of its kind in Europe - so they claim anyway. Haven't got the stats concerning the opposition, but if anyone knows different....

Up in the NE of France the "Snowhall' has been constructed on the site of an abandoned iron ore slagheap, close to the borders of Luxembourg and Germany in the Moselle department. A racer from the Les Arcs Club tried it out last month and was pretty impressed. Here's his report, plus an article on the facility, with some photos...

The Snowhall website is here, but only in French at the moment: www.snowhall.fr

For British snowdome experts, how does it sound in comparison, say, to Xscape? Never been there myself...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 1-06-06 9:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bloody sight cheaper than Xscape Shocked and defo worth a vist if you're in the SE of England.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks really good. Seems quite a bit cheaper to ski than Xscape.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
The main lift, a fast Poma button running at 8 metres per second,

Shocked Thats faster than I go downhill wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm, a discount flight to Luxemberg and a car down to Metz for a long weekend would be cheaper than going to MK.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How long is the slope at MK? The photos in PG's article certainly seem much longer than what I remember of the slope at XScape. The prices of the French slope are certainly more attractive - if MK charged that much (that little, in fact) I'd be a regular slope user, rather than just the three or four visits I've had there over the years.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It definitely looks longer than the snowdome at MK, much longer in fact, but I don't think it looks as wide.

It is definitely a lot lot cheaper.

I am off to France in 4 weeks, so may drop in there on the way home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kosciosco, the Snowhall is 500m long by 35m wide, with 80 metres of vertical. Anyone know the stats for equivalent snowdomes in the UK?

And do any of the UK snowdomes have this deferred pass system, when you can 'clock out' for as long as you want without losing any of your slope time?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The MK slope is only 170m long, so this is almost 3 times as long!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
Hmmm, a discount flight to Luxemberg and a car down to Metz for a long weekend would be cheaper than going to MK.

hmmm... not sure i'd choose this over a discount flight to Lyon and a drive up to Les Deux Alpes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Too far for UK me thinks unless passing by. At a push if living in Dover!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kosciosco wrote:
The MK slope is only 170m long, so this is almost 3 times as long!

Wow! Just wish that something like this would be built nearer to SW London Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk, You and me both! But then if they convert the High Wycombe slope into a snowdome then I reckon that may approach the length of the snowhall, but they would have to extend it as it is only 300m at the moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, that would be terrific, but isn't the slope at Wycombe just a bit too steep for an indoor snow slope? They'd frighten off a high proportion of timid skiers?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk, I suppose it depends what they do with it, they could always build it into the side of the hill and reduce the slope. That would seem to be the most logical thing to do
snow conditions
I was always unenamoured by the Wycombe slope though I know some on here are fond of it. The 300m advertised as seems common practice with artificial slopes was really 300m of matting not skiable slope. Imo the top 50m was largely too flat to ski and the bottom 50m stretch similarly so where not in fact uphill. The lowest 50m of the actual slope was also just too gentle so I only felt there was 150m of usable slope max. MK is 170m snow wall to wall. Probably 140m skiable at most.
ski holidays
slikedges, Sounds to me like someone needs to get their act together if they are to match the 500m of the French slope! Thing is, why should they? The MK snowdome is packed and that would change if they added another 300m, just make it more costly!
latest report
kosciosco, have you seen this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=169005 ?
snow conditions
Quote:

They're always a bit slow off the mark as we know , but they've finally got around to opening their own version of the snowdome

But the end result is often better ?

Looks pretty good to me snowHead
ski holidays
slikedges, I think this is just another example of how overcrowding in the UK has bumped up land prices meaning we can never hope to get anything as good or as cheap as we see abroad Sad
snow report
This is about the same size as (or a bit smaller than) the Snoasis project http://www.snoasis.co.uk/
snow conditions
Masque, Wonder how much they will charge?
ski holidays
500m is 100m longer than Dubai. Is there anything bigger in the world, never mind Europe?
snow report
I think Bottrop (Germany) is still the longest at 640m: http://www.alpincenter.com/
latest report
Ach so. Rates look pretty good there too.
latest report
If I had seen this thread earlier I could have called in to compare it with MK and Castleford.

I drove through the Moselle region on Saturday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy