Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inline Skate to Ski

Poster: A snowHead
An article in the WSJ about Skate to Ski

Quote:
A few years ago, he wanted to do two things at once: get better at skiing and do it in the offseason. Then he learned that the Professional Ski Instructors of America, a nonprofit dedicated to instructor education, and Rollerblade had created an app for offseason ski-skills training. He downloaded it and bought a pair of in-line skates.

“The ski season is so short and this was a way to train without snow,” says Mr. Camp. “The app works you through ski-related movements and exercises, many that are the same as we use on the mountain in ski drills,” he says.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-ski-instructors-pre-season-training-secret-rollerblades-11637406000

and a review of the specific app by Rollerblade

https://www.skimag.com/performance/rollerblade-skate-to-ski/

and the website

https://www.rollerblade.com/usa/es/skate-to-ski

I've restarted inline skating again after 20 odd years of hardly touching my skates, but largely to improve balance and because they are easy to schlepp around but I'm not a fan of falling on tarmac and my skate skills are so poor to what they were it is a bit of re-learning curve. Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, got wrist guards right? I find knee and elbow pads helpful too.

But actually more fun, nordic blading poles. Help balance and get more all body workout Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Friend of mine an ER doctor and rollerblader thought anyone who skate without wristguard is a fool. Apparently, hand injury is quite tricky to treat.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My taking up skateboarding during lockdown significantly elevated my skiing this past season.
Any kind of skating is going to build great core strength and hone perception and awareness of gradient. As gradients shift, U can get away with being reactive on skis (and most people are) but it's not great for your skiing. With skating, it's such a small base compared to skiing that you need to address gradient changes very proactively or end up on your back bottom!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, got wrist guards right? I

yes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @davidof, After a change in my skiing style, brought on much coaching at bashes. I thought skating would be great for the summer fitness, thanks for providing the evidence.

As @admin says it will boost core strength and balence as well as providing a shot of adrenalin. Not to mention the wooshing G force sensations that are essential ingreadients for the pleasurable skiing experience.

Now I just have to persuade Mrs Seahoob who banned me from rollerskates after breaking a finger a few years ago.

Finding skates for grown ups also seems a problem, anyone have reccomendations for skate shops?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There was a recent video posted by Dave Ryding of him training on inline skates.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cc0slpLIxJ2/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=afe50052-2d56-4b3e-96f2-093f35b1b730
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Seahoob, Skatehut is probably the biggest retailer.
...or there's Rollersnakes

Also get wrist guards - U soon get used to landing flat on your palms and sliding on the plastic guard strip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Seahoob, there are these guys, not exactly local to you if your location is correct but they might be good for some advice as its a real bricks and mortar shop with real dudes in it.

https://www.slickwillies.co.uk/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, Wow! if its good enough for "The Rocket" i'm in! Just spent 20 mins rewatching the video to see what type of skates he wears rolling eyes

@admin, I have promised @astrol that I will not break anything, so full on personal protective equipment is a priority.

Skatehut have a shop in Manchester! May have a look tomorrow.

@ster, Thanks for the suggestion, proper shops are often helpful on the phone and will mail out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@admin, I remember Rollersnakes – they had a shop in town near where my mum lives, and I got my quads there as a birthday pressie when I was in my teens. It shut down years ago though, so I don’t know if the current incarnation is anything to do with them. Not that it matters much.

Having had fitted ski boots a couple of times, I now know how badly my skates fitted though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another reason for me to get skates. Not one but two roller discos opening in Manchester!

One 6000 sq ft the other 8000, will have to include spangley hotpants on my shopping list now.

https://themanc.com/whats-on-manchester/manchesters-new-adults-only-intergalactic-roller-skating-rink-reveals-location-and-launch-date/

https://www.goodlifeskates.com/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@admin, and of course, if you enjoy skateboarding- you'll love snowboarding Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My life could have been COMPLETELY different if I'd been able to go to roller discos, back in the day. Crying or Very sad Unheard of in Cardiff, and the pavements round my house were too uneven - nobody skated. It just wasn't a thing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
My life could have been COMPLETELY different if I'd been able to go to roller discos, back in the day. Crying or Very sad Unheard of in Cardiff, and the pavements round my house were too uneven - nobody skated. It just wasn't a thing.

In another universe, a roller disco in South Wales back in the day

http://youtube.com/v/Pa2uVNoyotU

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 13-05-22 22:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
"Back in the day"? Not back in my day, sunshine. Laughing
snow report
From The Guardan: 60 quick ways to make yourself slightly happier

See point 34

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/may/14/shift-your-vibe-60-ways-make-yourself-slightly-happier
latest report
Seahoob wrote:
From The Guardan: 60 quick ways to make yourself slightly happier

See point 34

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/may/14/shift-your-vibe-60-ways-make-yourself-slightly-happier

It's a bit Baz Luhrman but amused me

#29 Grind your own coffee beans

#61 Grow well kept facial hair

#62 Ride a fixie

#63 Wear sunscreen
ski holidays
@davidof, It is VERY Guardian, dosn't mention bloody open water swimming though rolling eyes

Bought a pair of inline skates at the weekend and am currently studying technique at The University of YouTube.

Will post X-rays Smile
snow report
Seahoob wrote:
@davidof, It is VERY Guardian, dosn't mention bloody open water swimming though rolling eyes

Bought a pair of inline skates at the weekend and am currently studying technique at The University of YouTube.

Will post X-rays Smile

did you try the app yet in the OP? The videos look quite interesting.

Yeah, xrays would be good. I never managed to severely injure myself rollerskiing back in the day, unlike skiing.
snow report
This is the most Guardian happiness tip

55 ‘Double’ the size of your garden with a mirror
Make sure it’s one birds won’t fly into, for instance with a trellis on.

Impractical, impossible for those that aren't privileged already with an afterthought of unforeseen consequences.

And I definitely draw the line at listening to country music for a week.
snow report
davidof wrote:
#29 Grind your own coffee beans
#62 Ride a fixie
#63 Wear sunscreen
Um, you mean everyone doesn't do precisely those things? Jeez. No wonder they're not happy.

It ought to say roast your own coffee beans, which is the only way to go.
And obviously the fixie must not have a freewheel on it even on the other side.
snow conditions
Quote:

#61 Grow well kept facial hair

I would suggest replace that with:

#61 Wear a skirt
snow conditions
abc wrote:

#61 Wear a skirt

there is a bloke in our office who wears dresses/skirts. I wouldn't advise going the whole hog, he was moaning the other day that his corset was killing him.
latest report
Skates purchased, currently enrolled at The University of YouTube, studying "an introduction to not falling over".
snow report
Seahoob wrote:
Skates purchased, currently enrolled at The University of YouTube, studying "an introduction to not falling over".

Nope - you need to fall over, better to learn how to fall or land. If you're not happy falling you'll tense up all the time - skating is a relaxing pastime, and theres reasons why it makes you feel good.

worth a quick watch, if you have the time. Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/Xn87-mcnoVc
ski holidays
@Bones, Great video, that bloke has the right idea. On reflection I seem to be following his philosophy Very Happy

I know what you mean about falling, but I'm just trying to avoid it, because concrete is a lot more painful to fall on than snow.
snow conditions
Found this in The Grauniad, more old men achieving enlightenment:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/may/23/a-new-start-after-60-skating-maurice-newman-kent-myanmar
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Skaters with attitude Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Different kind of scabs to the ones you're going to experience Laughing
latest report
@adithorp, They're the least of my worries, concussion and joint trauma leading the field at the moment.
latest report
Ah.. Now its got to sticking the frame / wheel set on your ski boots

http://youtube.com/v/Y5Lm0WQgD-s
ski holidays
My kids were slalom training on rollerblades about 30 years ago. The local town centre had a fairly steep 300m paved area, my wife worked in the office of one of the supermarkets so was there after closing time. When we went to pick her up we would go early and take some cones and set a course. No doubt security would stop us on elfnsafety grounds now!
snow report
@limegreen1, The SkiRoad boot attachments look great, you can attach them to your own boots so will get a more comfortable fit and a better quality boot then standard skates. Need to find out more especially the cost, and to prepair self for possible brexit related dissapointment rolling eyes

https://skiroad.it/en/home/
latest report
Seahoob wrote:
@limegreen1, The SkiRoad boot attachments look great, you can attach them to your own boots so will get a more comfortable fit and a better quality boot then standard skates. Need to find out more especially the cost, and to prepair self for possible brexit related dissapointment rolling eyes

https://skiroad.it/en/home/

Cost should be neutral as it is made in an EU country there should not be any import duty, just VAT.

I think it is a solution looking for a problem though. Skate wheels are rounded so don't present the same resistance as skis so inline skate boots are perfectly ok. You can also skate in them which you won't be able to do with ski boots.
snow report
@davidof, Yes, I don't think they will give a great advantage over inline skates and other uses may be limited.

I have now completed around 8 one hour sessions on inline skates and feel that they do provide the right amount of work to the muscles used in strenuous skiing. They also provide a great whizz/adrenalin shot.
snow conditions
Cost of SkiRoad ski boot attachments not as expensive as I thought, email from Massimo at manufacturers Maplast.

the price are:
Carving4 170 euro
Carving5 180 euro

Enjoy junior 170 euro
Enjoy 210 euro

Carbon Gold 5 210 euro
Turn Around 225 euro

the shipping to UK for 1-2 pairs is about 50 euro

Carving models steers by itself , like a slalom ski,

inline models need skating technique,

the choice depends on the coach.

we have 6 models with brake and without brake,

2 are carving and 4 are inline.
snow report
Thought we were on to something new, this from 100 years ago Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/UjtPn4orR9A
latest report
[b]Skate Update:Skate Update:[/b]
I am really enjoying this project; it is hard work and any mistakes are punished without a second chance. I now think a good skate can be as enjoyable as a well executed ski session. Plus it's cheap and there's no snow in the northern hemisphere at the moment.

Skates bought: added my ski boot insoles for a better fit. I ended up getting skates from Decathlon purely because I could visit the store and check the fit. I opted for their own brand Oxello MF 500s which seem ideal for my level and were well reviewed online.

Enrolled in YouTube University: There are 100s of hours of skating videos. Some are irrelevant and/or impossible to follow, others are as good as lessons from Husky Dave.
Shaun Unwin of Flowskates is the don
https://www.youtube.com/c/FlowSkate

Found some skating locations: I used Google maps to find a local spot to start with, the nearest park tennis courts were fine..... until Wimbledon rolling eyes
Starting to venture further now that I can stop better. Suitable slopes for skate to ski programme very difficult to find.

Went to the Roller Disco: Of course, it being Manchester we have a dancefloor made of graphene. Shame the roof was leaking!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61913871
Also had a good chat, and got plenty of tips from the instructors there.

Put the hours in: Like skiing this is the one true mantra and, as ever, it is easier said than done I can manage just over one hour of quality practice before I'm exhausted, reasonably pleased to have managed 20+ sessions in a couple of months.

Avoid the Skatepark: Smashed one helmet skiing this year and another on the beginner's park slope.
Unfortunately I have now reached the gear lust stage when all my inabilities are down to my gear and just need some custom carbon fiber Seba skates importing from the USA. I seem to remember reaching a similar point when learning to ski.
ski holidays
Locoskates are probably the best skater owned shop in the uk with the best customer service by a country mile. The owner Jake Eley is worth speaking to for any advice.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy