Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hi can you give me some advice please

Poster: A snowHead
hi i,m a first time poster although ive been a long time reader of the snowheads forums .

i,ve booked to go next year to tremblant canada , and i have now decided to ask my recently widowed father to come along . he,s 77 years old but still very active , i don,t think he will want to try out skiing , but i was hoping he would come on a snowmobile or even try tubing .
i,m looking for some travel insurance that will cover him without being ridiculosly expensive .
has anybody got any links iv,e tried insurance supermarket .com . and it only came back with 2 matches .
thanks if anyone can help with any links or phone no,s it would be very much appriciated .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
f1l, Hi and welcome, sure someone will post some useful stuff soon Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe that Saga are good for this kind of thing.

BTW, snowmobiling is very energetic.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
f1l, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

My mum (who's quite a bit younger than your father) came to Westendort with us this year and did cross-country ski-ing lessons, snow shoe walking and toboganning.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
BTW, snowmobiling is very energetic.
and much colder than skiing, clothing especially boots and gloves need to be very good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second Kramer, with the Saga suggestion - I think skiing is a lot less demanding than snowmobiling and I think tubing is more accident prone (although it's just a feeling I have).
There will be lifts open to pedestrians so he can catch some brilliant views and snow-shoeing is available in most places now with guides taking small groups out on pre-defined itineraries.
I wouldn't rule out the skiing entirely - with a bit of dedicated one-to-one on the nursery slope, u never know...
and it would make a great tale to tell on snowHeads Wink

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
f1l, Snowmobiling scared the crap out of me, we rolled it three times aswell. Lethal!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
f1l, welcome to snowHead s. Tremblant is a pretty place to take a non-skier and has a nice indoor-outdoor pool. I agree with others that if he is active, he should try some active snow-related pursuits.
Don't know about the insurance and suspect it will at least partly depend on his meidcal history (if any).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
f1l, Tremblant is pretty good on the off slope activities:
Dog sledding he could certainly do - you pair up so don't need to stand and drive all the way, or even at all.
Tubing probably not - the slopes at St. Jovite are lethal!
Snow shoeing there are trails round the lake
Spa Scandinavie is unmissable, nothing like it in the UK for the price.
Day trip to Montreal.
Can get the gondola up to the top of the moutain, though there's not a lot to do apart from admire the view when up there.

You should also ask in the chat forum @ www.tremblant-insider.com, they will be very helpful in there. (also a good place if you need cheap quality equipment hire, etc)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think Age Concern do this sort of thing too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
f1l, snowmobiling is one of the most knackering things I've done, although it's great fun, especially if you can just let it rip across a bumpy meadow. The next day I couldn't move a muscle; I had to roll out of bed onto the floor and gradually raise myself using the furniture. Tubing is much less labour intensive, although it wouldn't be good for anyone who is slightly frail (no reason why your old man should be).

BTW it's not far from Tremblant to Montreal, which is worth a day (or two).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cross country skiing might be an idea - if its sunny you can get some great views and your dad can go at it as hard as he wants Wink No need to be super fit (mind you, ive never tried cross country skiing - i imagine it can be very tiring if going fast/uphill)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I think skiing is a lot less demanding than snowmobiling

Quote:

snowmobiling is one of the most knackering things I've done,

You did turn the engine on, right boys?? There may be an element of physical effort required on rough terrain, but if you are just pootling along a prepared trail it is not that bad!
As with skiing, there is a wide variation in effort required: you can pootle along a green in a fairly relaxed cruise, or hammer it faster & steeper which requires a bit more effort. There are bound to be plenty of snowmobile trails that don't require any heroics for him to try.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
f1l, As well as Saga check out Age Concern...I think they do decent insurance policies too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, I'm sure the engine was firing on all cylinders. It was the effort required to shift my bulk from one side to the other to steer the thing that I found knackering, and the juddering on soem of the more worn trails. The bits whizzing around in open terrain were less knackering, even though most of the time my hands were the only bits in contact with the bike, presumably because sharp cornering was not required. I guess tha tspeed may have something to do with the effort required to corner.
snow report
thanks everyone for their recomendations . i will certainly try saga and age concern never thought of those two . i,m sure he will have a great time . i printed off last years activitys brochure from tremblants website . my wife a non skier so he will have some company whilst im on the slopes . i thought of snowmobiling because you can have passenger and driver on one sled . looked at scandinavian spa can,t wait for that one . thanks once again ,let you know how i gat on
snow conditions
f1l, the oldest beginner I ever taught was 82, so there's no reason why your father shouldn't try skiing. A private instructor, very short skis (perhaps the new minis at around 130-140?) and not expecting to be wizzing down instantly and no probs. The problem would probably be getting up after falling down (no reason to fall over much, even as a beginner). Stay away from tubing, toboggoning and anything like that - they're far more injurious than skiing!

Kramer, Saga don't do skiing holidays, so I think it's unlikely they do skiing insurance, but I'm not 100%.
latest report
sit him in the nearest bar and he'll probably be very happy Smile
snow report
Hi f1l,
My Dad skied until past 80 and had the same problem finding insurance. He said Saga were no good. He used the insurance with the package holiday last time he went. They said if he was young enough to ski he was young enough to insure... Cool

I have found Snowcard very helpful for insuring some things that the others won't touch, but have only been using them since my Dad gave up, so I don't know if they will help here.

The main problem my Dad found with skiing in his 80's and one of the things that stopped the ski holidays, was falling over when he did not have skis on, e.g. on icy pavements. Some cross-country boots have very poor grip. Make sure your father has footwear that grips on ice, or he will be very unhappy. Dad got fed up with airports and flying too. If he could ski from the door, I am sure he still would be.

The xc ski-ing was not a problem, but an older beginner might find the downhills a bit scary. If Tremblant has some flat trails, he will probably be fine.

have fun
snow report
I suspect that a beginner on cross country skis will fall a lot more than on short alpine skis with a sympa instructor (as easiski suggests). I have now done two full weeks of lessons on XC skis, and found that it was extremely easy to fall! I wouldn't recommend it except for someone who is prepared to fall a fair bit. I think snow-shoeing could be a great hit - it's not difficult, needs no special technique, and gives you a wonderful feeling of security underfoot. That is very important for anyone older - I agree that icy pavements are very scary (they certainly scare me, much more than icy pistes). The insurance problem should not be insurmountable. My mother was able to continue with annual travel insurance through PPP (albeit with doubled premium) at 81, and despite quite a difficult medical history. She had to get clearance from her GP before any trip, but he was positively encouraging. She paid £300 for an annual Europe insurance - I dread to think what one including N America would cost. But if he can afford it, go for it - it should be a fantastic trip. My mother died earlier this year and I am so glad we managed to get her to France so often. The insurance premium was worth every penny.
snow conditions
easiski, I think that you'll find that they do. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy